U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 08:30 AM

2 posts, read 1,056 times

Advertisements

Any suggestions on a great site seeing road trip from Pensacola to Seattle? National Parks, monuments, MUST SEE places... I want to head out by way of Memphis (Graceland) then St. Louis for the Arch. After that we are open to anything. Once in Seattle, we will fly to Anchorage (maybe drive up through Canada) and then take a different route on the way back to Florida. We will be gone at least 30 days. Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2017, 10:37 AM

602 posts, read 327,051 times
If you're driving in the next few months (wintertime), you might want to stay as far south as you as can until reach California. You could go to New Orleans/Texas??

Old 12-26-2017, 10:52 AM

3,185 posts, read 7,066,615 times
When? It makes all the difference in the advice you get.

Old 12-26-2017, 11:04 AM

5,236 posts, read 8,406,103 times
Badlands in SD
Mt Rushmore in SD
Yellowstone in WY

One possible route https://goo.gl/maps/hE1xeTrkNQq

Also this website will show you all sorts of things along a route. A bit tedious to use but informative.

https://trips.furkot.com/ui

Hope you are doing this in spring or summer...........

Old 12-26-2017, 11:08 AM

2,593 posts, read 5,292,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
When? .
Yeah for sure.

In my opinion the arch is almost the only interesting stop for a thousand miles or so.

During winter the parks may be fascinating but only for those with good cold weather gear. And a tolerance for cold not easily acquired in florida.

Winter driving can also be hairy. Except maybe on i10.

Old 12-26-2017, 06:05 PM

5,247 posts, read 3,016,686 times
We have made the trip from St Pete to Seattle a number of times. In the winter I would take I-10 to California and then head north. Elevation makes a huge difference in weather. I-40 runs east-west north of I-10, but at much higher elevation. Flagstaff is at 7000' and gets 5' of snow a year. Phoenix on I-10 is at 1100' and it doesn't snow there. They are not that far apart.

US 101 up the Oregon coast is a beautiful drive.

The ride up to the top of the St Louis arch is an experience, don't miss it if you go there.

In the summer all the national parks are great. It takes some time to visit them all.

Old 12-27-2017, 11:16 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,585 posts, read 39,962,822 times
If as Round trip (hopefully)... do the left coast southbound and return to the east where you will see the most National Parks, DO NOT MISS UTAH national parks!!! Grand Canyon is really great via air, HUGE to see any other way.

Timing is everything. NOW is not a great time to expect to DRIVE to northern parks... Snowmobile maybe...

Try to drive the Beartooth (NE Yellowstone)

Follow as many 'Scenic Byways' as possible... And many 'Roadside America sites' and Road FOOD places!

Some of my favorites: (on a logical route)
Pioneer Village, NE
Ole's Big Game Bar (Paxson, NE)
Carhenge (Chadron, NE)
Wind Caves (SD
Custer State Park
Hill City hotel Filet Migon!!!
Mt Rushmore,
Lead, SD (great indoor public swimming pool for that important shower!)
Mickelson Trail,
Spearfish, SD
Devil's Tower, WY
Buffalo (and nearby Story WY for steaks)
Big Horns via rte 14A to Lovell, WY (Burgess Jct WY is my all time favorite location in USA)
Virginia City, MT
Red Lodge (and Beartooth)
NE Yellowstone
Tetons (add a pre-dawn raft trip from Jackson Lake to Jackson Hole)
Star Vally, WY,
Hot Lava Springs, ID
Craters of the moon (ID)
Hell's Canyon
Snake River and Columbia River Dams (great camping)
Moscow, ID
Coeur D'alene, ID (Sandpoint is nice too, Thursday preferred if you can get a tour of Quest Aircraft)
Spokane Falls (and carousel) nice evening walk / dinner
Palouse Falls

Coulee City / Dam (night Laser show)
Chelan Mail boat,
Leavenworth, WA
North Cascades Highway and NP
Ice Cream https://www.edaleendairy.com/ and Dutch Breakfast in Lynden, WA

Consider taking the Alaska Marine Highway (From Bellingham, WA)

This trip MAY take over 30 days, give it 90 days if you can ... 360 days if at all possible.

I have lots of ideas from Seattle south to San Diego / Yosemite (for another day)

I toured the US west many times via motorcycle and RV and car (and daily as semi truck driver)

Also routes through AZ, NM, TEX (my other homes...during WA rainy winter)

DON'T Miss Valley of Fire (1 hr north of LV (best at sunrise and sunset, and a wonderful place to camp!)
https://www.google.com/search?q=vall...tzD6YQ_AUICygC

Plenty to do in TX Hill Country near Fredericksburg / Bandera. (ez via fly/drive to San Antonio or Austin)
Reserve 2024 Eclipse!!! during Bluebonnet season.

We just bopped (flew) to Pensacola / Rosemary Beach for Thanksgiving weekend, Nice / thanks!

Went home via, Nashville, Raleigh, Asheville, Greenville, Atlanta, New Orleans, Houston, Austin (via Fly / drive), very good time.

We travel via Hospitality Guest homes, so meet the nicest people! and have memorable meals / stays.
30+ yrs, excellent stays (200+ last yr alone). https://wikitravel.org/en/Hospitality_exchange
Never tried Couchsurfing, but out A b&b's have been terrible in comparison to hospitality guest homes (hosts who DESIRE to serve you (and improve your vacation), not gain CASH from you and get you on the road.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 12-27-2017 at 11:28 PM..

Old 12-28-2017, 03:40 AM

4,414 posts, read 1,673,386 times
I did exactly that drive, but it was from Mobile to Seattle, in a 1960 Renault Daupine, back before there were any interstates at all. It was wonderful, but I wouldn't expect it to be nowadays.

In that part of the world, there is no reason today to ever drive on an interstate, except maybe to avoid congestion in Dallas or Denver, but you can choose a route that doesn't go through any big cities at all.

Old 01-24-2018, 03:46 PM

2 posts, read 1,056 times
Sorry.. I forgot to mention this would be in the Summer. June - July.. Thank you for all the suggestions. I greatly appreciate everything!

Old 01-28-2018, 02:33 AM

34,384 posts, read 41,480,724 times
Much resource on Google to plan a trip of this magnitude . heres one such resource =
https://scenicbyways.info/
If you are a member of AAA (recommended) they will plan a trip for you and give you all necessary maps
https://www.google.ca/search?source=...02.1pITYnrNSak
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel