U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 12:40 PM

2,143 posts, read 3,575,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Check some of the local Chinese airlines, sometimes they have great deals. You may not find them listed on the usual airfare search engines. Also check out prices from Shanghai's other airport, which is actually closer to the city - Hongqiao (SHA).

I know that one, but why wouldn't we believe it? Singapore has just about every variety of restaurant particularly in that area.
Because it's rare for people to travel literally across the world just to eat Mexican food lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2018, 08:46 PM

2,305 posts, read 1,587,937 times
I know this is old but just a little update, my trip to Japan and China with Affordable World purchased thru Groupon is coming up in 3 days. Affordable World mailed us a packet with luggage tag and pins to wear and a booklet with information including normal temperature & commonly used worlds like "hi/hello" from each country.

So far I am very impress with Affordable World. I will see how the actual trip goes. I am super excited

Old 03-05-2018, 01:49 AM

4,595 posts, read 1,767,344 times
I think one important criteria, is how much or little do you want complications. Japan would be an easy walk-through, with travel highlight predictable, English widely spoken, and your own customs not surprising to anyone. But in China, there will be times of confusion and frustration when you would need to put a little effort into getting all the pegs in the holes.

Old 03-12-2018, 08:29 AM

4 posts, read 6,596 times
Its for you to visit China as you had 2 weeks time, for you people it is the safest place to visit and you will enjoy your trip a lot.

Old 03-12-2018, 08:40 AM

2,178 posts, read 2,927,698 times
You will love Japan! The people are very kind and helpful and the country is so clean and safe.

By all means, you must go to Kyoto. The Kyoto Imperial Palace is breathtaking. Go to the Nijo Castle too. Do not miss a formal tea service there too. Fascinating. You will likely see some beautiful geishas there too.

If at all possible, I also suggest you go to Hiroshima. It is very sobering, but it is worth going.

Tokyo is a blast. We always stay at a business hotel which are reasonably priced and immaculate. The department stores are lots of fun and the service will astound you. Even when they take your credit card, they do it with two hands on a tray with a bow. So respectful and sweet!

The train system in Japan is second to none. The trains are absolutely convenient, clean and you can get just about anywhere in Japan.

Old 03-12-2018, 10:34 PM

523 posts, read 375,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post

but a friend who recently did 14 days in Italy said that was too long away from home & after day 10 she was tired. So I am aiming for 2 weeks.
Your friend is to be ignored in ALL things travel related.

Quote:
We booked this tour from Affordable World thru Groupon. We looked at several options and compared itinerary. It looks like all the tours were 8 days/country, which doesn't seem like a lot but I rather go with tour first time around. If we love it, hopefully we can return. We decided to go with Japan and get a small glimps of Great Wall of China on the way back. we really wanted Xian in China but not many tours include that.
that sounds like an almost sacrilegiously short whistle stop tour where you'll be packing every day or two (trust me, I just did 5 days in cambodia...). I did 4 days just in tokyo!

Quote:
I know this is old but just a little update, my trip to Japan and China with Affordable World purchased thru Groupon is coming up in 3 days. Affordable World mailed us a packet with luggage tag and pins to wear and a booklet with information including normal temperature & commonly used worlds like "hi/hello" from each country.

So far I am very impress with Affordable World. I will see how the actual trip goes. I am super excited
Have heard nothing but good things about tours booked via groupon. Hopefully taking the tour will let you see behind the curtain a little and realise that you can do the majority of it yourself in future trips giving you much more flexibility and control. These tours cater for the main attractions, but you never get the unforgettable memories, chatting to a fish seller in a thai market and her taking you home and cooking you lunch with the family, last minute changing plans and taking a boat trip down the irrawaddy river, etc etc. Either way its an interesting whistlestop, but to be built on, not used as the default option going forwards!

Old 03-26-2018, 03:31 PM

4,595 posts, read 1,767,344 times
There is an alternate philosophy to travel. Just park yourself there, and let the host country reveal itself to you.

Check into a walkable neighborhood hotel, and eat at the same restaurant every day. Get an ice cream cone from the same vendor every day. Be friendly and open with the people who see you every day, find out their names. Become the adventure in their dreary lives, instead of expecting them to be in yours. It can be memorable and rewarding.

Old 03-29-2018, 06:24 AM

6,099 posts, read 2,965,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
There is an alternate philosophy to travel. Just park yourself there, and let the host country reveal itself to you.

Check into a walkable neighborhood hotel, and eat at the same restaurant every day. Get an ice cream cone from the same vendor every day. Be friendly and open with the people who see you every day, find out their names. Become the adventure in their dreary lives, instead of expecting them to be in yours. It can be memorable and rewarding.
Love it, great philosophy.

We also get much more out of travel by taking it slow. We love seeing some sites but our best times are people watching in the park, parked at a cafe on a busy street, buying our groceries every day at the market, even meeting locals for language exchanges. Fun stuff.

Old 03-29-2018, 06:26 AM

6,099 posts, read 2,965,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotjambalaya View Post
These tours cater for the main attractions, but you never get the unforgettable memories
I'm not a tour person myself, but you can't possibly know that a given person won't get unforgettable memories from a tour.

Old 03-29-2018, 07:21 AM

2,775 posts, read 1,586,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
I'm not a tour person myself, but you can't possibly know that a given person won't get unforgettable memories from a tour.
OK, got it. Change "unforgettable" to "unexpected". Remember that tours are all about avoiding the unexpected...but tours are great if you like slow paced experiences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or