Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 07:59 PM

200 posts, read 182,989 times

Advertisements

Heading to Ireland and London. ..Sightseeing suggestions welcome. ..Ireland 7 days renting car and London 4 days. .Thank u
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2018, 08:01 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,880,993 times
If you are Star wars fan, you can visit Skellig Islands where they filmed episodes VIII

Old 04-03-2018, 12:15 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
We enjoyed Wales, Especially rural areas, woolen mills, Flower gardens, wild Rhodies, and SW coast, (while in UK in May 2016)

In Ireland, Maps.me app really helped to find remote historical sites.
Enjoyed the SE, SW and NW sections.
https://www.nmni.com/our-museums/uls...park/Home.aspx
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...9-Ireland.html
https://www.irishcentral.com/culture...ireland-photos

Do your history training before visiting Ireland. Very interesting, a little education will help you enjoy the trip.

We found traditional B&B site / referrals MUCH better than Air B&B (in Ireland), but of course... the $20 / night guest homes we have used for 25+ yrs were far better to meet local people and engage with local events.

Old 04-03-2018, 04:14 AM

200 posts, read 182,989 times
Default Guest homes. How do you find them.

Have family we r visiting too

Old 04-03-2018, 04:43 AM

130,191 posts, read 12,093,129 times
The Beara Peninsula is beautiful & not as touristy as some parts of Ireland. If you are considering visiting Skelligs, read up on the dangers of climbing it, before you go. I had wanted to visit there, but instead I will probably settle for a boat trip around the island instead, on my next trip to Ireland. Part of the old monks stairway is dangerously eroded. I think have a planned itinerary is a good way to go, for any trip.

Old 04-03-2018, 10:15 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deetz View Post
Have family we r visiting too
gotta search (most of my travel posts have this link) It is a popular option with singles and retirees. (budget travelers with flexibility)
https://wikitravel.org/en/Hospitality_exchange

I have never had to use Couchsurfing, and my favorite directory / groups are not on this site... but as you get into this mode, you will be referred to other great options. (we started doing it while homeschooling, using an international guest directory for homeschoolers)

Some options are FREE, most you need to register for a few months before traveling.

I have not had a bad stay in 1,000's of hosts and guests for over 25 yrs (YMMV)

70% of my Air B&B's have been pretty bad (Profit motive / NOT Hospitality motive)

Ireland was the worst for all stays. (so far) People there are pretty quirky (You will get the picture when you study their history). Not bad, just different. Be cautious and understanding. I hope you like dogs... 50+ yrs as a pet owner / farmer and I was overwhelmed by their dogs. Irish LOVE their dogs! much more than the USA eccentric-prideful-pet-displayers.

Old 04-03-2018, 10:18 AM

7,520 posts, read 2,807,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
The Beara Peninsula is beautiful & not as touristy as some parts of Ireland. If you are considering visiting Skelligs, read up on the dangers of climbing it, before you go. I had wanted to visit there, but instead I will probably settle for a boat trip around the island instead, on my next trip to Ireland. Part of the old monks stairway is dangerously eroded. I think have a planned itinerary is a good way to go, for any trip.
Definitely. Our driver said people have been killed falling as there are no rails or safety measures of any kind.

Old 04-03-2018, 11:43 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
gotta search (most of my travel posts have this link) It is a popular option with singles and retirees. (budget travelers with flexibility)
https://wikitravel.org/en/Hospitality_exchange

I have never had to use Couchsurfing, and my favorite directory / groups are not on this site... but as you get into this mode, you will be referred to other great options. (we started doing it while homeschooling, using an international guest directory for homeschoolers)

Some options are FREE, most you need to register for a few months before traveling.

I have not had a bad stay in 1,000's of hosts and guests for over 25 yrs (YMMV)

70% of my Air B&B's have been pretty bad (Profit motive / NOT Hospitality motive)

Ireland was the worst for all stays. (so far) People there are pretty quirky (You will get the picture when you study their history). Not bad, just different. Be cautious and understanding. I hope you like dogs... 50+ yrs as a pet owner / farmer and I was overwhelmed by their dogs. Irish LOVE their dogs! much more than the USA eccentric-prideful-pet-displayers.

oh yes I can attest to the dog lovers part . The hotel where we stayed had a border collie named Jock and let me tell you I thought my Chihuahuas were a ham until I met this guy . His owner actually taught him to dance it was hilarious . and when I showed him my teddy (now deceased ) and my chis he rolled over with laughter .There were terriers everywhere too , scot terriers , Yorkshire terriers , bull terriers and border collie and Shetland sheepdogs better known as shelties here .

Old 04-03-2018, 02:38 PM

587 posts, read 443,610 times
We were in Ireland last month. We did a driving trip along the west coast of Ireland and loved it. We stayed in Galway for 3 nights and then 3 nights in the village of Adare not far from Limerick. We drove the Ring of Kerry (the Skelligs and the cliffs that overlook them are awesome), up to Connemara to Kylemore Abbey and drove along the Sky Road. It was right after the big snow hit the UK at the beginning of March so the mountains were still covered in snow. We drove along the Burren to the Cliffs of Moher. We visited Cashel and Kilkenny and many castles and ruins along the way.
If you haven't been to London before then you will want to see things like the changing of the Guard at Buckingham Palace, the Tower of London and the British Museum. We have been to London many times so on our trip last month we took the train down to Greenwich and saw the observatory and the Maritime Museum. We also went to the Churchill War Room Bunkers and into St. Paul's Cathedral and climbed the stairs to the top.

Old 04-03-2018, 02:45 PM

130,191 posts, read 12,093,129 times
Are your relatives in London or Ireland? They should be able to help you with ideas of things to do also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel