U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 02:29 PM

14,114 posts, read 20,876,491 times

Advertisements

So I've got some money from an inheritance and I'd love to go see the world. I have no kids and no bills except for car pymt and health insurance which would be covered while I'm gone. I don't think necessarily I'd need to spend the whole 50k but it would be an option if needed. Where you would you go if in my shoes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2017, 02:30 PM

6,387 posts, read 5,424,239 times
How long were you thinking?

Old 12-29-2017, 04:00 PM

2,896 posts, read 1,580,961 times
How long do you have... indefinitely? I would start in London & work my way east through Amsterdam, Spain, France, italy... all the way to Tokyo via SE Asia & China & India. I would take trains mostly or find out where/how to share rides in order to get companions & travel tips.

Old 12-29-2017, 05:59 PM

3,398 posts, read 3,960,584 times
While in England perhaps you can meet up with London Cowboy, who has taken a break since June, it appears.

Take your time deciding where to go/how to spend your inheritance wisely on travel.

Old 12-29-2017, 09:33 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,522 posts, read 39,903,732 times
We don't know here your shoes would like to trod

We (2) did a 1 yr RTW in 2016 for much less that $50k

We followed the sun / long days - focused on our interests: Fiber arts and Agriculture / farm stays + Botanical Gardens around the world.

Started in NZ in Oct or 2015, Made it to Sydney for New Years Eve, 'winged' it from there (left Australia in late March when it started to get cool), Just kept following Flower blooms and 10 pm sunsets west bound.

Took legs on ships, trains, planes, campervans, scooters, bicycles, auto.

No previous set plans, just enjoyed the journey (very economically...) such as flying from Venice to Brussels for 12 Euro... Similar Portugal to UK, very cheap.

Loved Netherlands and Belgium (the very accommodating and interesting people and the culture) And biking!!!

Only used 8 hotels (Due to early flights)
(Never did couchsurfing) Hated our 8 Air B&B's... loved these (as we have for 30 yrs) https://wikitravel.org/en/Hospitality_exchange
usually ate via farm stands / fresh markets.

Old 12-30-2017, 08:44 AM

1,531 posts, read 1,310,974 times
This was my first RTW

... and my second...

... and there have been several others since. It really depends on where you want to go and how long you want to spend traveling. You need to be mindful of conditions in the places that you want to visit when you want to visit - do you want to be on the Great Barrier Reef when you can't go in the water without protective wear against deadly jellyfish? Or the Indian subcontinent during monsoon season? Or Alaska during spring breakup?

Make your wish list, research the bejeezus out of it, and then start applying it to the calendar. Leave the transportation and lodging options to the end, and make them fit your destinations, rather than vice versa.

Old 12-30-2017, 10:09 AM

15,059 posts, read 18,985,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
So I've got some money from an inheritance and I'd love to go see the world. I have no kids and no bills except for car pymt and health insurance which would be covered while I'm gone. I don't think necessarily I'd need to spend the whole 50k but it would be an option if needed. Where you would you go if in my shoes?
Maybe I'm pragmatic and a kill-joy, but I'd be stashing that $50K into a Roth IRA. Trust me, it will provide several WTW trips if you invest it in good mutual funds and leave it there for a couple of decades.

Signed,
Somebody that didn't **** away money on luxuries earlier in my life and, as a result, retired at 52. We travel a lot.

Old 12-30-2017, 10:12 AM

3,576 posts, read 1,234,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Maybe I'm pragmatic and a kill-joy, but I'd be stashing that $50K into a Roth IRA. Trust me, it will provide several WTW trips if you invest it in good mutual funds and leave it there for a couple of decades.
But, one might not live a couple of decades
Or might not be in good enough shape in a couple of decades
Or the world might have gone to **** by then

The OP needs to ask, what's more important to them, to see the world no - when doing so is closer to being assured, or maybe doing it later.

Old 12-30-2017, 10:24 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,522 posts, read 39,903,732 times
Merit to each viewpoint.

While young... getting paid to travel is a sweet deal (but eats a lot of time)
I was able to get an international job (cuz no-one else wanted it / would not THINK of subjecting their kids and family to such horrors.. )

Retired for the 3rd time at age 49. (first was at age 15 (leaving Dairy Farm Boarding school!, life (work) was a 'cake-walk' since then)

Retire early, retire often. !

Travel at every opportunity (on whatever budget is available)... or 'work your way around the world' (some rules apply).

If under age 31... get to NZ, FAST!!! (working visa, renewable for 2 yrs)
YMMV

Old 12-30-2017, 10:32 AM

6 posts, read 8,999 times
Go to Asia.
US Dollar has bigger value on these country
Philippines, Indonesia, Brunei, Malaysia, Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos, Thailand, Myanmar, Bangladesh, India

Since Singapore is near Malaysia, you should also consider going to Singapore even though the cost of living in Singapore is quite expensive than those Asian countries I listed above.

By the way, I live here in Philippines and the map below is my travel plan.

I've been to Japan, Singapore and South Korea. They are the countries that I considered expensive that's why I don't list them to my propose travel plan. They are expensive but they are worth to be visited.

If you love Korean dramas/movies, why not consider South Korea?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or