U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 02:27 PM

2,593 posts, read 5,286,635 times

Advertisements

If you don't like crowds travel off-season or develop some interests of your own.

If you don't like tourists in your town live somewhere lousy (possibly forbidden descriptor not used here). I have suggestions if you need them.

> And a lot of quacks with guns

Fraudulent medical practitioners with guns? Must be a Texas thing. Sounds nasty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2017, 04:16 PM

8,976 posts, read 8,099,396 times
When a tourist goes somewhere, and finds the town is full of tourist, and then complains about how all the tourists took the fun out of it for him/her it sounds ridiculous. If you want to be a tourist, and not run into other tourists, then go places other tourists are not going. There are a lot of places right here in the USA you could go, as well as in many other countries.

There are places in Wyoming cattle country, they see a tourist about every 10 years. There you would not have to fight your way through all the other tourists.

Or how about Rapelje Mt., which is 17 miles off of the Interstate where the tourist go up and down the road regularly. End of the paved road ranching community. You might even be there when the little restaurant is open, so you could find something to eat.

Or in California, go to the beach along the lost coast of California. You sure won't be bothered by other tourists, if you do. It is a beautiful area to see, if you have not been there. Have not been there for years, but thinking about it for the first time in decades, brings back fond memories.

https://gizmodo.com/adventure-califo...ast-1679173376

If you don't want tourists, go where the tourists don't go. If you like being around other tourists, go to tourist areas. But don't complain about the other tourists crowding you if you do.

If there are too many tourist for people to enjoy the area, remember you are one of those there making unpleasant for people like you.

Old 12-30-2017, 06:00 PM

8,721 posts, read 7,673,512 times
I like going to the small quaint towns in New England, but it seems like everyone there is just visiting from Boston. Like I am. Just doesn't seem authentic.

Old 12-30-2017, 07:22 PM

640 posts, read 333,764 times
I find that staying in one place for a long time, like a month, gives me the time I need to settle in and really enjoy it. Obviously that isn't possible for many working people.

So I'd suggest just choosing one town and staying there the whole time. Try every dish at the local place. Hike every hike. Walk to the neighboring town. Just staying long enough to learn people's names results in a more authentic experience even if you're in Paris or Rome.

Old 12-30-2017, 09:18 PM

2,206 posts, read 930,610 times
This is easy. The entire Gulf Coast of Florida!! Itís got so bad that it now takes 35 minutes to make a 9 mile drive six months of the year. I donít even consider going to restaurants until the tourists go home in the spring. Seriously, I live in what is for six months a very sleepy little town, but come Fall it turns into a zoo!

The amazing thing about this is that since there is no manufacturing base here, the entire state is dependent on tourism. That means that the politicians at all levels base all decisions on getting more tourists to come. Naturally the majority of jobs here are Service jobs, which pay much less than manufacturing jobs. This philosophy is so ingrained in people here that they have no desire to build a manufacturing base,itís like they donít even try!

Sorry for the rant. Didnít mean to ramble on like this.

Old 12-30-2017, 09:35 PM

3,878 posts, read 1,648,337 times
If you live in a warm-winter area, you know it's Snowbird Season. More traffic, more crowds everywhere. And it's almost the first of the month, I'd better hit the stores before everybody gets their checks and the shelves empty out.

Old 12-31-2017, 12:17 AM

1,458 posts, read 1,206,678 times
I've only been to Greece but could not disagree more. The beaches in San Diego are far more crowded then the beaches in Greece, though we were there in September which is not the busy season.

Old 12-31-2017, 07:02 AM

8,630 posts, read 19,056,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
This is easy. The entire Gulf Coast of Florida!! It’s got so bad that it now takes 35 minutes to make a 9 mile drive six months of the year. I don’t even consider going to restaurants until the tourists go home in the spring. Seriously, I live in what is for six months a very sleepy little town, but come Fall it turns into a zoo!

The amazing thing about this is that since there is no manufacturing base here, the entire state is dependent on tourism. That means that the politicians at all levels base all decisions on getting more tourists to come. Naturally the majority of jobs here are Service jobs, which pay much less than manufacturing jobs. This philosophy is so ingrained in people here that they have no desire to build a manufacturing base,it’s like they don’t even try!

Sorry for the rant. Didn’t mean to ramble on like this.
Tourists aren't the problem in my area either; the snowbirds are. Such an entitled group.

The worst part is when the snowbirds block the aisles in Publix catching up with their neighbors..Good grief, meet them at the clubhouse or have them over for tea, but get the hell out of the aisle!!! God forbid you ask them to move...you get the death stare and a snort. I'm generally pretty easy going, but not when Im trying to shop and you're shooting the ****. Forget Costco on the weekend...it's a friggin Qtip convention.

Our population is growing so the 'off season' isn't really 'off'..however, locals (new and old) dread 'season' with the Qtips on the road having no idea where they're going and how they're gonna get there. They literally cause more accidents by their constant lane changes, last second turns, and abrupt stops because their depth perception sucks.

Tourists are here for a week or so and don't clog the roads, restaurants or grocery stores, nor do they ***** and complain about how much better life is up north. If it's so good, why not stay there all year long?????

Not sure where in SW Florida you are, but there's more than just 'service' jobs in this area...especially if you have a degree/education.

Old 12-31-2017, 07:04 AM

1,501 posts, read 2,324,074 times
The Gatlinburg - Pigeon Forge area of E. Tenn. near the Great Smoky Mountains NP is getting more and more crowded. It is so crowded that Sevierville is even busy. The traffic on the main road (TN-66 and then combined with US 421/321) backs up from I-40 all the way to Gatlinburg. We just went in Nov. and on the weekends there was bumper to bumper traffic in some areas during an off-peak time. During the week things were better. They keep building though. The area was popular due to the park, but anymore it is just popular for go carts, mini-golf, zip lines, indoor water parks, shopping, and dining. We checked out some of the neighboring areas this past trip and I couldn't believe the growth still going on. I really don't know what can be done. People still keep coming, so sitting in traffic for hours must be something they want to deal with. I also think that our society has gotten so lazy, that any real hiking or physical activity has been replaced with doing things that are much easier. Thus many of the longer, more rugged trails in the park won't be that busy during the week.

Some National Parks are getting hammered as well. We went back to Glacier for the first time in ten years. This was my first hiking focused trip. While on the east side of the park at a popular eatery, a guy who was on his fifth season working in the area said that 2017 was the first time all three east entry points into the park were closed on some days. We were turned around from the Many Glacier area due to there just being too many vehicles in that area already. I'm in the stages of planning a Yellowstone trip, again, more hiking focused this time around. I've already read on-line that the shoulder seasons are pretty much non-existent anymore. Childless couples and tourist from other countries started using the shoulder seasons so now they are almost as busy as the summer seasons.

Last edited by indy_317; 12-31-2017 at 07:15 AM..

Old 12-31-2017, 07:31 AM

13,880 posts, read 7,391,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I like going to the small quaint towns in New England, but it seems like everyone there is just visiting from Boston. Like I am. Just doesn't seem authentic.
The small quaint towns in New England aren't authentic. Most of the homes are owned by trustifarians from the affluent cities, vacation home owners from the affluent cities, and retirees from the affluent cities. The business owners are also largely transplants. If it's not like that, everybody in town is dirt poor and the town is run down with no viable businesses beyond the dollar store so no tourists would ever show up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or