U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 08:55 AM

1,501 posts, read 2,324,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
Reading about the southern Utah parks, it seems that like in Europe, there has an influx of Asian tourists causing pressure on facilities.
How early in the day would you advise starting out? In Sydney everyone seems to get going earlier and earlier. Some of the coffee shops are opening at 5am these days. In Moab will shops and so on be closed on Memorial Day?
The Asian bus tours are an issue as there just have bus loads of people and they all seem to follow each other. So basically you get tons of people in some popular areas all at once.

Memorial Day is usually a busy time for parks and water sports, especially if the weather is warm (hit or miss). Shops will likely be open to make money from the people who want to take advantage of the three days off (extended weekend). When I left Moab it might have been dark or the sun was just coming up. I was told for my upcoming Yellowstone trip to leave right when the sun is coming up and I can see. Even if it takes me an hour to get to the trail head, I was told if I leave any of the surrounding gateway towns, I'll have no problem getting a parking spot. I felt the same was true for Moab. All the parks close to town (Island-in-the-Sky District of Canyonlands, Dead Horse State Park, and Arches) were packed by mid-day. Thankfully we were in such an off-season (Oct.) that the traffic was nothing like I've seen in recent years. That being said, I think we visited the year before Utah pushed their "Mighty 5" ad campaign out, which many have blamed for crowds.

If you plan on checking out Capitol Reef NP, I'll warn you that I wouldn't drive the main road to the dead end (a parking lot). My wife and I were there and we stopped at the visitor's center for a short bit and then the house and orchard just down the road. A tourist bus arrived while we were at the visitor's center. After eating home made pie and ice cream at the old house museum, we figured we'd drive the road to see what was down there. At least thirty mins. had passed from when the bus had started the trip down to the dead end parking lot. We arrived just as the bus was arriving. I told my wife to get out, take photos, and get back in. If you get stuck being a tour bus leaving that parking area, it might take you 30-45 mins. for what should be more like a 15 min or so drive in a car. It is an 8-mile drive.

Hope this helps. S. Utah was amazing. I'll be going back to Bryce and Zion in 2019, hopefully.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2018, 09:57 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,546 posts, read 39,924,861 times
Quote:
Hiking and general sightseeing. Yes, really looking forward to it. We will get going early anyway. ... in the habit of getting up early since we retired.
For popular National Parks... Early and late is great so...

Be at your trailhead before dawn
(~4: 30 - 5AM in May it is light enough to get started hiking)

late afternoon - dusk is another good time to see the parks (more animals, less humans (they are eating / feeding their kids, looking for campsites.)

Mid day is a good time to be hiking, or napping under a tree, or in the pool / hot springs. (not driving / on buses / in visitor centers / cafes)

I did Yellowstone deliveries for 7 yrs... I drove from dark (10 pm in summer) and made sure I was GONE by dawn, (out of the park).

Take early morning raft / kayak trips where possible (more animals, quiet and spectacular sunrises, cool and brisk on the river)

Old 01-01-2018, 11:32 AM

2,289 posts, read 1,294,870 times
For a smaller national park-get up very early, head out in the darkness. Arrive at the park, and drive to the far end of the park. Gradually work your way back to the entrance.

Did this with a group at Mt. St. Helens in June, 2001. Worked well for avoiding crowds.

In the long run, I suspect that entrance to national parks will become very tightly regulated.

Last edited by Tim Randal Walker; 01-01-2018 at 11:43 AM..

Old 01-01-2018, 12:08 PM

32,440 posts, read 16,612,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
So the threat of terrorism has not affected tourism. Surprised to learn that.
The number of terrorist attacks was much higher in the 70s and 80s. IRA, ETA and Rote Armee Fraktion have more or less shut down.

Old 01-02-2018, 05:13 PM

597 posts, read 352,629 times
You cannot let the terrorists win. If you stay home they do. Thanks for all the advice on the parks. If you drive at dawn and dusk are you likely to hit animals? It is pretty dangerous here in the bush at those times as the kangaroos are hard to spot until they jump right into you.

Old 01-02-2018, 06:38 PM

7,310 posts, read 4,151,370 times
Quote:
Thanks for all the advice on the parks. If you drive at dawn and dusk are you likely to hit animals? It is pretty dangerous here in the bush at those times as the kangaroos are hard to spot until they jump right into you.
That can be a real problem in parks like Yellowstone which have lots of large animals living in them, yes. So if you drive at dawn or dusk in those parks, slow down!

Old 01-02-2018, 06:45 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,546 posts, read 39,924,861 times
Quote:
...If you drive at dawn and dusk are you likely to hit animals? It is pretty dangerous here in the bush at those times as the kangaroos are hard to spot until they jump right into you.
Not so bad in national parks (but can be bad in National Forests (public lands ~ 30% of western USA) Usually adjacent to NP.

National Park animals are not very 'spooked' and are used to cars, so they are SLOW. (some are big).

Speed limits in NP are VERY slow and traffic much higher... = animal vs. vehicle risk is less.

I went 40 yrs w/o an animal strike, but have had 4 in last 1 yr (None in National Parks)

Old 01-06-2018, 02:52 AM

4,381 posts, read 1,663,688 times
Certainly not at the places I go. In the past 5 years, I think I spent about 20-25 weeks away from home, just backpacking around all six continents. Most of the hotels I stayed at did not have a single other tourist. One of the loveliest, booked on booking.com, with free airport shuttle, at Colombo, beautifully tucked away at a bucolic spot in the jungle, I stayed ten days and half the days, I was the only guest. When there were other guests, they were on business.

When I stay at hostels, they are rarely full, I can always get a bed, even in Europe in the high season. The only place Ive seen tourists was Odessa, which attracts busloads of Ukrainian school children on outings. I see quite a few at my regular airport hotel in Bangkok. I never saw one in three weeks in Ethiopia, except a couple of traveling expats. I had the hostel all to myself in Darwin. I guess Id have to say I saw a lot at Angkor Wat, but not cloying numbers, and plenty of empty rooms at the hotels.

Here in Cebu, I have yet to see a foreign tourist, in 6 months. Foreigners in the streets are all expats, and sites of interest to tourists are nearly all Filipinos.

Old 01-06-2018, 07:29 AM

5,926 posts, read 2,887,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Here in Cebu, I have yet to see a foreign tourist, in 6 months. Foreigners in the streets are all expats, and sites of interest to tourists are nearly all Filipinos.
That's weird, there aren't a ton of tourists in Cebu compared to places like Baracay but riding local buses all over the island we saw the occasional backpackers and tourists. It wasn't common but especially if near places like Moalboal or Oslob where foreign tourists are attracted we'd sometimes see them in ones and twos. Also occasional busloads of Chinese or Korean tourists going from downtown to whatever dive/snorkeling adventure they have going on pass on the road.

Colombo is a lot more predictable, the tourists with bigger wallets will all be downtown or wandering about Galle Face in the evening, with the more adventurous ones wandering around in the markets buying junk. Budget travelers are all over but tend to take bus 32 south a lot so more common on there, when get on can usually tell by the fancy backpacks piled up on hump next to driver that there are backpackers somewhere on the bust

Old 01-06-2018, 01:15 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,420,095 times
Charleston, SC is my favorite city in the U.S., hands down. However, I have been there before on a nice day when a cruise ship was in port and it was literally impossible to walk along the sidewalks of the Historic District without bumping into people and the lines at every restaurant stretched out the door. However...I decided to take it in stride and accept the fact that the same things about Charleston that make me love it and visit again and again are also going to have the same effect on many other people so live and let live. I also learned to schedule my visit for a day when there was not going to be a cruise ship in port or something in the middle of the week rather than on the weekend.

If I want solitude I can always go home to the little cornfield town in NW Ohio where I was born. Don't get me wrong, it is perfectly lovely in its own way, but there are zero tourists there, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or