U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 04:04 PM

2,549 posts, read 1,640,418 times

Advertisements

The people in the tourist trade depend on the crowd for business. I think it is unrealistic to expect less crowd for your enjoyment. Go during low season for less crowd.

One thing I don't like visiting national park is there is no cellphone coverage. What happened if there is an accident? At least, if there is people around, you can get helped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2018, 04:44 PM

597 posts, read 353,150 times
Vast tracts of Australia are so empty that it is common not to have normal phone reception. But you can rent a satellite phone for emergencies. In the old days, you would have to wait until another person came along and ask them to travel on to somewhere where they could phone for help on a landline. But that is why it is recommended not to travel alone to remote places.
What I hate here with mass tourism is when the tourists trash the place. Christmas Day here all the backpackers head to Bondi Beach and the mess they leave is unbelievable. Same thing happened in Melbourne at a beach. They all get drunk, regardless of the no alcohol rules, and the next day all the councils and many locals spend hours cleaning up. They are generally European and probably figure they can do as they like as they will probably not come this way again.

Old 01-08-2018, 09:03 PM

4,423 posts, read 1,676,659 times
I lived in a city in Michigan that had a weeklong festival every year, and it got so bad, the locals all tried to get their vacation time then so they could get out of town.

When I lived in the French Quarter, I was a part of the scenery that tourists came to see.

The worst was when I lived in Antigua, Guatemala, which was a wonderfully quiet town, almost no cars in the streets. Then, on Sunday, it seemed like half the population of Guate City came to Antigua, and it was so crowded, you had to squeeze your way along the sidewalks. On Sundays, all the Antigua residents escaped to Panajachel, which made that sleepy town crowded.

Old 01-09-2018, 05:29 AM

1,179 posts, read 479,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
What I hate here with mass tourism is when the tourists trash the place. Christmas Day here all the backpackers head to Bondi Beach and the mess they leave is unbelievable. Same thing happened in Melbourne at a beach. They all get drunk, regardless of the no alcohol rules, and the next day all the councils and many locals spend hours cleaning up. They are generally European and probably figure they can do as they like as they will probably not come this way again.
Yup, I don't like it either. Some people's idea of fun involve either self-centered, antisocial behavior and/or substance abuse. Often, one can avoid situations like this (after dark in NOLA on Bourbon Street and in Key West on Duval Street, spring break party-central towns in Florida, any urban red-light district) but not always.

Old 01-09-2018, 11:41 AM

2,910 posts, read 1,589,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
Lord have mercy, We went to NYC Dec 28-31 (we didn't stay for NYEve). It was awful.

I get the crowds....but what were they there for? Everything is so homogenized. Nothing but big box stores and chain restaurants. We really wanted to see things that were off the beaten path but I'm not sure there is such a thing any more. If there are, we couldn't get to them.

I have no intention of ever going back.

I can see a national road tour of a Broadway show right here in my home city for a fraction of a cost. There are just too many other things in the world to see!!!

I really wish we'd gone to the beach instead, but I'm no longer confident I can find the off the beaten path path anymore.
Times Square/Broadway shows/midtown Manhattan (Macys, Rock Ctr., 5th Ave, etc...)/Chinatown are not off the beaten path & you went during the most touristed week of the year, what did you expect?

Why didn't you opt for off Bwy shows & restos in the E Village? Little Italy is really in Arthur Ave, Bronx & the real Chinatown is in Flushing, Queens, both easily accessible by the subway. Lots of free art galleries in W Chelsea, there's loads more... Why didn't you schedule your trip for April or early May when the weather is delightful & the crowds sparse?

I'm puzzled by what "off the beaten path" means to you, it sounds like you just went from tourist spot to spot in the busiest week of the year!

Old 01-09-2018, 01:14 PM

3,664 posts, read 6,488,642 times
When I travel, I try to stay in local neighborhoods, using Airbnb, instead of the touristic areas. I spend a lot of time roaming the neighborhoods looking for interesting things, places to eat, etc.

We just did this in Krakow, staying in the Jewish quarter, and had an amazing time.

Old 01-09-2018, 01:50 PM

3,508 posts, read 4,961,296 times
The ruins of the ancient city of Machu Picchu, in Peru, are definitely suffering from the greatly increased volume of international visitors in recent years, who are despoiling the area by trampling vegetation, leaving behind trash, etc.

The National Mall (park) in Washington DC, is trampled bare by millions of museum-goers, as well as visitors at special events and political demonstrations. The nearby Capitol building grounds, by contrast, get much greater funding for maintenance, and are kept lush and green.

In downtown Venice, Italy, is a small McDonald's restaurant with food much cheaper than anywhere else nearby. In summer, it's a madhouse of long lines of customers trying to order in different languages, with very little seating space.

DaVinci's "Mona Lisa" at the Louvre gallery in Paris, has hundreds of visitors crowding in front of it all times - many wanting to take a "Selfie" photo to brag on Facebook....... while other rooms at the Louvre containing spectacular, grand paintings, are somewhat ignored.

Last edited by slowlane3; 01-09-2018 at 02:17 PM..

Old 01-09-2018, 06:30 PM

1,630 posts, read 966,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
That can be a real problem in parks like Yellowstone which have lots of large animals living in them, yes. So if you drive at dawn or dusk in those parks, slow down!
If you drive off road or even on blue highways (state or local two lane roads), please be aware of cattle in Open Range states. You are liable for danages: cows can cost $3000 to replace. I believe most states are: Utah, Nevada, Oregon, eastern Washington, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, not sure about the others.

Old 01-12-2018, 08:03 PM

2,585 posts, read 3,732,034 times
The swarms of tourists really detracted from Prague when I visited. I actually enjoyed exploring the side streets and taking in the Art Nouveau more than the more famous medieval stuff. The gaudy absinthe/head/souvenir shops all over the place were tacky and there seemed to be more drunk college-aged kids than a lot of spring break beach destinations. I remember the echoes of some poor kid's wretching in broad daylight.

Budapest, on the other hand, was much less crowded, despite being a larger city. The sights are spread out a bit more.

Old 01-16-2018, 11:02 AM

3,443 posts, read 1,535,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
Hiking and general sightseeing. Yes, really looking forward to it. We will get going early anyway. Husband is a golfer and he is hitting off at 7 17am tomorrow. He plays at least three times a week so it has gotten us in the habit of getting up early since we retired.

Have fun in Moab! DH lived there since uranium times in the 80s and I lived there 10 years. Left 3 years ago---I guess it has really changed since then! Crowds weren't TOO bad then except during Jeep Safari weekend. I wish I could tell you the back way into Arches to avoid the crowds. The biggest draw of Arches is "Delicate Arch" which is a MUST to hike up to. Yeah, for that---get there really early. Parking is/was VERY limited there. Canyonlands can be seen mostly by car at overlooks. One short hike is a must---forgot the name but you can see "Washerwoman" formation through the orange-light arch. Just 1/4 mile. It's a default screensaver, it's so great.

Weather permitting, try to go on a day float down the Colorado River. Several tour companies for that. We used to go weekly in the summer. The hiking there can't be beat---but watch the heat and take LOTS of water. Hats. I guess if you are Australian, you know all this, LOL.

Now I'll have my time being the tourist, as we see Italy this spring....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or