Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 01:28 AM

15 posts, read 10,783 times

Advertisements

Whatare the most interesting tourist attractions you have seen in your life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2015, 06:26 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,981,726 times
The Great Wall of China is high on my list, as is the Colosseum in Rome. I would also add the entire city of Prague, and the Arabian desert.

Old 09-24-2015, 07:20 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
If it's a "tourist attraction", I have no interest in seeing it.

Well, actually, if I am nearby, sometimes I do go and see them, if not too far out of the way, the crowds are not too bad, and there is no admission charge. The last one I saw was the Potempkin Steps in Odessa. I was not impressed at all, it loses its flavor when there are not thousands of people rushing down. But Odessa is a surprisingly lovely city, I'm glad I saw that.

I guess tops on my life list might be a total eclipse of the sun, on a quiet isolated beach in Guatemala.

No point mentioning "the most famous" attractions I've seen, since everybody has seen those.

Last edited by jtur88; 09-24-2015 at 07:31 AM..

Old 09-24-2015, 10:07 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post

No point mentioning "the most famous" attractions I've seen, since everybody has seen those.
agree ^^^

Me too, I stay with locals, and travel as a local.

Maybe an over-reaction to growing up in Estes Park Colorado. A pretty nice place (between Sept and May) when the tourists are gone.

Old 09-25-2015, 09:26 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post

Wow! Look what you are missing;

Yellowstone
Gondolas in Venice
Tower of Pisa
Tivoli
Big Ben
Tower of London
Taj Mahal
St Andrews golf course
Alhambra
Prague Castle

and many many more very nice tourist attractions.

Old 09-25-2015, 09:40 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Wow! Look what you are missing;

Yellowstone
Gondolas in Venice
Tower of Pisa
Tivoli
Big Ben
Tower of London
Some of that stuff you can do when everyone is off sleeping... National parks and Big Cities from 5AM till 10 AM and from 5pm till 10 pm.

It REALLY helps to have a 'stealthcamper'. You can stay 'incognito', and be there to enjoy the joint when the crowds fold up. BUT,... I will continue my primary stays with locals ($10/ night worldwide). I remember the details and people of every stay, but I remember few tourist stops.

Old 09-25-2015, 10:42 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,981,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Some of that stuff you can do when everyone is off sleeping... National parks and Big Cities from 5AM till 10 AM and from 5pm till 10 pm.

It REALLY helps to have a 'stealthcamper'. You can stay 'incognito', and be there to enjoy the joint when the crowds fold up. BUT,... I will continue my primary stays with locals ($10/ night worldwide). I remember the details and people of every stay, but I remember few tourist stops.
The post didn't say you had to stay in fancy hotels in order to see attractions, nor did it say you can't see them at off-times either. It just asked what were your favorites? I can't imagine being in Rome (and yeah, I stayed in a local neighborhood) and not seeing the Colosseum...or being in China and not seeing the Great Wall....etc.

Old 09-25-2015, 11:38 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,253,680 times
I don't think that it's the most interesting thing I've seen, but a tourist attraction that I was really impressed with was Butterfly World in Fort Lauderdale. I was particularly impressed because I was expecting just the opposite, but I was totally proven wrong in my assumption. I had never seen a hummingbird before, let alone been totally surrounded by them (and butterflies), and the experience was quite fascinating.

Old 09-25-2015, 12:11 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,282,260 times
I found Red Square to be amazing and a bit surreal.

Bryce Canyon and Mesa Verde exceeded my expectations.

Rome was amazing, and Athens depressing. Istanbul went from off the radar to one of my favorite cities in the world.

Old 09-25-2015, 03:00 PM

986 posts, read 1,016,293 times
A few of my favorites in no particular order:

Hagia Sophia in Istanbul
Chapel of Bones in Evora, Portugal
Niagara Falls
Colosseum in Rome
Duomo in Florence
Gaudi architecture in Barcelona
Toledo Cathedral in Spain
Killarney National Park in Ireland
Big Sur/Pacific Coast Highway sites
Blue Lagoon in Iceland
Byodo-In Temple in Oahu, Hawaii
Banff National Park in Canada
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel