U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 12:12 AM

304 posts, read 166,983 times

Advertisements

Welcome to the forum where people never want to give advice on the questions you asked and will instead tell you that you're doing it wrong.

I'll try my best to offer advice. I guess the first thing I'd say is that children live all over so you'll probably find plenty of child friendly places just about anywhere. At this age, it really depends on what you want to do and from there you can find out what things might entertainment your child in between you seeing what you want to see.

You mentioned Miami and Atlanta, both good cities. Atlanta has plenty of parks, an excellent zoo and aquarium as well as a great children's museum. There's also tons of history and food for you to experience. I can't speak much for Miami other than assuming there will be plenty of things for a toddler to find entertaining. One thing to keep in mind is that it's a disappearing city. It's drowning faster than had been predicted and while it will take another few decades to completely drown, it's going to grow increasingly chaotic. If you want to visit Miami, sooner rather than later might be the best time to see what will be lost in your child's lifetime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2018, 01:13 AM

2,286 posts, read 1,570,106 times
I would skip on busy cities where you are on the move. It is too much simulation for toddler & hard on parents to constantly be on move. I think focusing on natural destination will be good: beach, mountains, lake, log cabin type... any national park will be good with toddler.

So beach destinations including Caribbean island to Miami to San Diego & anywhere else
National parks
Nature

Old 01-04-2018, 06:16 AM

26,614 posts, read 63,110,092 times
Mackinac Island.

(no cars, less likely to get run over when they wander off).

Old 01-04-2018, 06:48 AM

3,416 posts, read 3,234,741 times
Anywhere you want to go. My BIL has taken his daughter to Hawaii, Orlando, Europe (via a cruise), Pittsburgh and a few other places. She is 3 and they've always taken her everywhere they go (of course they have invited the grandparents along a couple of times to babysit...the Europe trip and one of my niece's first trips to Hawaii).

Old 01-04-2018, 06:54 AM

13,698 posts, read 13,642,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I love to travel, and TBH, that sounds like a bit of a nightmare.

Public transportation, car seats, strollers, naps...

I live in Denver, and we have a children's museum, a railroad museum, firehouse museum, nature and science museum, and more, and lots of parks. Thinking back, my toddlers enjoyed playing in the sand and simple stuff like that. We took them camping. At that age, we really just did what we were interested in. They will want to explore anywhere they are, and they won't care where that is.
I live in Denver too - I tell all my friends if they want to visit, they should bring their children. It's a paradise for kids (and 20-something young men, but that's for entirely different reasons). The whole place is just very kid friendly. My cousin is actually arriving on a ski trip on Monday and is in Denver for the first day - she is bringing her own toddler. I"m already planning the itinerary for that day with her.

It's gonna be almost 60 degrees!

Old 01-04-2018, 07:30 AM

10,171 posts, read 7,103,100 times
I traveled with my kids a ton prior to them starting kinder (my husband travels a lot for work, so besides plane tickets it was pretty much free to go with him).

Chicago was my favorite place to visit with them. They have world class museums, navy pier, shopping, good food, cultural diversity, nature. We took the various public transportation with no trouble. A lot of things are close enough together that you can get a lot done in one day.

I enjoyed San Fran with the kids too, but it was a lot of work and I was so tired every single day. But we found a lot to do. It was hard without a car and driving around there sucks.

San Diego has a million things to do...but in a way its a tourist trap. You wont run out of things to do...but I felt like the things to do lacked a city vibe...those activities could be anywhere and it didn't feel special or unique. Also its spread out so we spent a ton of time in the car.

Staying on the river walk in San Antonio was fun and there were a lot of places to get to around there that was easy. Then some great little drives. Staying at the resorts are nice, but its not like you feel like you are in a city.

Orlando - might as well just do WDW in my opinion. Its a lot of work but the kids love it. Ok, I like it too. But I don't know if I consider it traveling...more like transporting for a destination.

We went to a ton more but those ones left the biggest impression on me of having fun. I didn't like Austin Tx (didn't feel "kid friendly"), or Atlanta (I don't know why). Seattle was the pits when we visited, but going further north/west was amazing with the kids.

Then there are several cities that just didn't stick with me for me to remember. And a whole host of cities we never visited, of course.

I have learned over the years to opt for a moderate hotel that has suites and serves free breakfast. This way you can run and grab the kids breakfast, and still have more time in the morning to get ready without worrying about the kids starving. Its a life saver in the morning. I also found packing their individual outfits in zip lock bags was really helpful. And a change of clothes for everyone on the plane (including under clothes)

Getting a good location for the hotel is so important for mid day breaks. It is a must do with little ones...and to make it fun for mom and dad. Plan to have a nap maybe followed by a swim at the hotel or a movie before going out again. And underplan. The point of a family vacation is having fun, not doing everything. That can be hard to remember sometimes.

P.S. Forgot one, Charleston SC is pretty nice to visit. But it takes a little more planning, I found.

Last edited by HighFlyingBird; 01-04-2018 at 08:26 AM..

Old 01-04-2018, 07:48 AM

919 posts, read 555,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raisins99 View Post
Welcome to the forum where people never want to give advice on the questions you asked and will instead tell you that you're doing it wrong.

I'll try my best to offer advice. I guess the first thing I'd say is that children live all over so you'll probably find plenty of child friendly places just about anywhere. At this age, it really depends on what you want to do and from there you can find out what things might entertainment your child in between you seeing what you want to see.

You mentioned Miami and Atlanta, both good cities. Atlanta has plenty of parks, an excellent zoo and aquarium as well as a great children's museum. There's also tons of history and food for you to experience. I can't speak much for Miami other than assuming there will be plenty of things for a toddler to find entertaining. One thing to keep in mind is that it's a disappearing city. It's drowning faster than had been predicted and while it will take another few decades to completely drown, it's going to grow increasingly chaotic. If you want to visit Miami, sooner rather than later might be the best time to see what will be lost in your child's lifetime.
Thanks. I don't know why people respond to posts when they don't have anything to offer.
I know most major cities have toddler activities but I'm hoping to find things to do that everyone in the family can enjoy. I'm sick of the local zoo and children's museum and I think the kids are too.

Old 01-04-2018, 08:04 AM

32,140 posts, read 33,059,143 times
NYC is a possibility. Toddlers love the animal exhibits at the American Museum of Natural History (particularly suitable if the weather is not dry outside) as I remember my oldest niece at age 2 loved visiting it with her parents on a rainy September day at that time.. With nicer weather there is the Bronx Zoo. I think there is also a children's museum also somewhere in the city.

Old 01-04-2018, 09:16 AM

11,043 posts, read 4,011,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
In the USA or anywhere in the world?

The only city I wouldn't visit with toddlers is Las Vegas.

NO JOKE!

We go to Vegas once a year and it amazes me the number of people who bring babies and young kids there!! Vegas is NOT a place for children!!

As other have said, I would keep it local. The first time I brought my child on a plane was when she was 3 and that was challenging enough to keep her in the seat for the flight. I couldn't imagine being on a plane with a 2 year old. With that said, many people travel with toddlers. We live in the Chicago land area and there are many things to do with kids in downtown Chicago! Most are in walking distance to each other!

Navy Pier
Chicago Children's Museum
Beaches
Museum of Science and Industry
Field Museum
Adler Planetarium
Shedd Aquarium
Lincoln Park Zoo
Wrigley Field (Chicago Cubs)
Millennium Park

Last edited by CGab; 01-04-2018 at 09:45 AM..

Old 01-04-2018, 09:18 AM

304 posts, read 166,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
Thanks. I don't know why people respond to posts when they don't have anything to offer.
I know most major cities have toddler activities but I'm hoping to find things to do that everyone in the family can enjoy. I'm sick of the local zoo and children's museum and I think the kids are too.
If they are tired of those sorts of things, what are they and you interested in doing? Do you want to use public transport, walk, use uber, or rent your own car? Do you want to focus on history, nature, food, or just relaxation? I don't have kids so it's not like I have great expertise in this area. I think it's great to introduce travel early for kids (people who live in a time where they think kids aren't human and so shouldn't be seen or heard should be ignored). I have lots of friends and acquaintances who travel with their children and they tend to just do the same sorts of things they'd do when exploring at home. They might forgo the opera in favor of checking out a local puppet show (Atlanta has a puppet theater/museum, btw), choose a local park with easy walking trails rather scaling the local mountain (Atlanta has lots of paved greenways and trails that are easy to take strollers on or easy for kids and they often have areas for picnics or playgrounds for more focused play). I'm not trying to sell Atlanta over other places, just pointing out that they have stuff available and probably lots of other cities do too.

I guess it's hard to really offer advice without knowing what sorts of child amenities and activities you're interested in or what sorts of touristy things you want to see or do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or