Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 09:51 AM

2,858 posts, read 2,172,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
NO JOKE!

We go to Vegas once a year and it amazes me the number of people who bring babies and young kids there!! Vegas is NOT a place for children!!

As other have said, I would keep it local. The first time I brought my child on a plane was when she was 3 and that was challenging enough to keep her in the seat for the flight. I couldn't imagine being on a plane with a 2 year old. With that said, many people travel with toddlers. We live in the Chicago land area and there are many things to do with kids in downtown Chicago! Most are in walking distance to each other!

Navy Pier
Chicago Children's Museum
Beaches
Museum of Science and Industry
Field Museum
Adler Planetarium
Shedd Aquarium
Lincoln Park Zoo
Wrigley Field (Chicago Cubs)
Millennium Park
Thanks for your suggestions. Chicago is on my list of cities to visit but it's a bit of a long flight from Houston so we'll probably try a southern city first. I used to travel a lot and want to see if I can take it up again this year. I know a few couples who travel internationally with their toddlers a few times a year so it is possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2018, 10:18 AM

16,086 posts, read 10,747,693 times
When the time comes (and age two is too young) you might consider a place with a lot of diverse free attractions in case the experience is a bust...kid hates it, falls asleep, or throws a tantrum. Wheeling a sleeping toddler around SeaWorld is a waste. Toddlers won't remember much. We took our daughter to Disneyworld while she was 2 1/5 or so and she has no memory of flying or Disneyworld or SeaWorld or the beach. She was terrified of Mickey and Goofy. Those were all beyond her scale of appreciation at the time. She remembers a playground spiral slide that she enjoyed at the rented condo.

On the other hand, small kids might understand and appreciate a race -- it's a simple concept. Try NASCAR.

Old 01-04-2018, 10:57 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
Thanks for your suggestions. Chicago is on my list of cities to visit but it's a bit of a long flight from Houston so we'll probably try a southern city first. I used to travel a lot and want to see if I can take it up again this year. I know a few couples who travel internationally with their toddlers a few times a year so it is possible.
If you are in Houston, maybe try driving to San Antonio? You can fly in too, but it seems easier (and cheaper) to drive. Charleston SC is under 2 hours flight from Houston, if I recall.

My kids are a year apart and we started traveling regularly with them when they were 3 months old. Its a lot of work, but really not nearly as bad as people are saying...at least not for us. You just have to be prepared. Is it just you or do you have someone who will be with you? I have traveled alone with them many times, starting with them as babies all the way up until now. Honestly the worst thing was they always seemed to fall asleep when it was time to move, so carrying 2 kids and everything else was not fun. But I don't need therapy to get over it either.

We did travel internationally with them, but not super long flights. I think our longest was 5 hours.

So here are a few tips that worked for us:

No lay overs if you can help it.

Be flexible with ipad videos/games. Sometimes its worth letting them zone out for you to have down time. I had a splitter for the head phones and the kids would often watch a movie together.

Pre-board when offered

Pack a food bag and a fun bag (when they got a bit older, they would have their own backpacks with this stuff in it).

Food bag - healthy snacks to fill hungry bellies, but also stuff you wouldn't normally let them have. I kept my kids occupied for 3 hours with one bag of M&Ms on a plane once. Wet wipes. Beverages.

Fun bag - Their comfort item, a few favorite small toys. Then a few new small toys they haven't seen and some books. Remember things roll away.

The "diaper bag" was for stuff we didn't need much of on the plane so it could go over head. Diapers, more wipes, extra meds, a change of clothes for EVERYONE (nothing is worse then sitting in baby puke for a 4 hour flight because you didn't pack yourself extra clothes). And anything else I wasn't going to need to access ahead of time but I would need in a pinch.

Watch movies and read books about flying ahead of time and talk a lot about the plans (unless prepping stresses your kids out more).

I didn't use any Benedryl or sleeping meds for my kids when traveling. I see a lot of people doing it but I would rather my kids as close to their normal self. Night time flights were often nice...even if the kids didn't sleep I would just have them in their PJs and the time and darkness out the window seemed to make them mellow.

If your baby cries or get upset...stay calm. I know some people will be annoyed but do your best and know your kids have a right to be on the flight too. Just know most people understand and those who don't ...wont.

The hardest part is changing diapers or taking young ones to potty. Its doable though. My daughter would hold it on a flight (still does if she can) but my son thought the bathrooms were awesome. I still go in there and cant believe I changed diapers in that tiny space. I saw a family with a 2 year old "practice" going to the bathroom with her several times before she went in and did it. THen she came out super proud of herself and told everyone she did it. Super cute.

Book vacations for down periods when older kids are in school.

Anyways...I bet there are other tips from traveling moms on here. And somethings will be helpful for one kid, but not for another.

Good luck! Tell us what you decide and how it goes when you start traveling again. The next 3 or so years may be the last time you can really do a lot of traveling because of school.

Old 01-04-2018, 11:10 AM

5,251 posts, read 3,609,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
When the time comes (and age two is too young) you might consider a place with a lot of diverse free attractions in case the experience is a bust...kid hates it, falls asleep, or throws a tantrum. Wheeling a sleeping toddler around SeaWorld is a waste. Toddlers won't remember much. We took our daughter to Disneyworld while she was 2 1/5 or so and she has no memory of flying or Disneyworld or SeaWorld or the beach. She was terrified of Mickey and Goofy. Those were all beyond her scale of appreciation at the time. She remembers a playground spiral slide that she enjoyed at the rented condo.
Exactly! It just seems a few years premature as the request was worded, a focus on what 2 year olds would like. Now if the reality is that they want to go on a family trip where there are diversions for 2 year olds too, that's different. Many countries, like Italy, people will treat you special if you show up with a baby.

Old 01-04-2018, 12:08 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,916,504 times
I think it’s a great idea to travel with toddlers - the earlier you can expose kids to travel, the better - but two-year-olds can find joy in a puddle. I would just go somewhere YOU want to go. Most major US cities have children’s museums and places to walk and run and climb on for two-year-olds, so I wouldn’t go too crazy trying to find a perfect city for a tot.

Old 01-04-2018, 01:08 PM

2,544 posts, read 2,737,099 times
Halloween in Detroit. It will be an enlightening experience!!

Old 01-04-2018, 01:33 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,526,811 times
One family recently asked about going to Key West from Miami. Not a good plan to spend 4 hours each way in the car with bored toddlers. The lower Keys is still a wreck. Stay in Miami and visit the beach, zoos, and Seaquarium.

Old 01-04-2018, 01:46 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
One family recently asked about going to Key West from Miami. Not a good plan to spend 4 hours each way in the car with bored toddlers. The lower Keys is still a wreck. Stay in Miami and visit the beach, zoos, and Seaquarium.
We did road trips when ours were little. In some ways it's easier than air travel. I don't know what the op's hurry to introduce them to air travel is. What will they gain at this age that can't be done after they are potty trained?

Old 01-04-2018, 02:02 PM

2,299 posts, read 1,521,375 times
Somewhere where you can go to the beach. Not sure, what about San Francisco? Beaches and a few city activities for the parents. I could recommend a few places here in Australia but anyone who would do a twenty hour flight voluntarily, with toddlers is not on my wavelength! My toddler grandkids are currently on holidays at a quiet beach about two hours from home.
I would say that four is a good age to really get into travel. They seem to remember more and appreciate it. Grandsons loved Cairns in Nth Queensland; loved the crocodile park, beaches, playground. Somewhere like that could be somewhere in Florida, perhaps?

Old 01-04-2018, 02:42 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
What's the closest city to your home. That's the one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel