U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 12:42 PM

910 posts, read 549,001 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of introducing my 2 year olds to air travel this year and want to start by visiting a major city. What are some of the best large cities to take toddlers? My focus would be on amenities and activities suited to that age group, safety and convenience. I heard Atlanta is good and maybe Miami. Any other ideas?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 01-05-2018 at 08:56 AM.. Reason: Duplicate threads merged.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2018, 02:34 PM

7,311 posts, read 4,151,370 times
"2 year olds" and "air travel" are words that don't go together well. Unless YOU specifically want to travel for some reason, I'd wait until the kiddos are a year or two older before starting them on air travel. It's a lot easier once they're old enough to have some real understanding of what is going on, and more patience with sitting still for at least an hour.

As for which city: well, pretty much any city is going to have some activities suitable for toddlers. I'd just pick a place you personally want to see. The kids will be OK whereever you end up going. Toddlers aren't known to be discriminating sightseers.

Old 01-03-2018, 05:11 PM

24,839 posts, read 30,080,338 times
I love to travel, and TBH, that sounds like a bit of a nightmare.

Public transportation, car seats, strollers, naps...

I live in Denver, and we have a children's museum, a railroad museum, firehouse museum, nature and science museum, and more, and lots of parks. Thinking back, my toddlers enjoyed playing in the sand and simple stuff like that. We took them camping. At that age, we really just did what we were interested in. They will want to explore anywhere they are, and they won't care where that is.

Old 01-03-2018, 05:28 PM

6,040 posts, read 4,433,841 times
San Diego

Old 01-03-2018, 08:14 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,548 posts, read 39,934,465 times
Join a Children’s museum that offers member entry to museums all over the world (or at least where you plan to travel.)

There are some great children’s museums, very innovative and fun.

Our toddlers most enjoyed our farm with animals to care for. (You can consider zoos and farm stays). I am surprised Our kids vividly remember camping, farm stays, animal events they did as toddlers.

We did a 10 week across USA National Parks tour (disaster) via VW camper van while they were still in diapers. No AC, so they got Squirt guns to cool off. (On-board sink for refills).

They eventually got fed up and cried all the way home (2 weeks). We couldn’t hear them since it was so noisy and windows were down. They were very well behaved when we finally got home and they didn’t make a peep for several weeks. They were not keen on road trips after that, but they didn’t get to excercise that option until they left home.

We became members of Science Museums and Art museums as they aged. We homeschooled and took lots of 6-12 week ‘field trips ‘ also international work assignments. The Museum passes were great on rainy days, and for international flight delays (stuck an extra day in a strange city). Some museums have 500+ affiliates across the globe.

Ours also liked sailing! Which I found odd... canoeing and kayaking too. (No fear at age 2)...

Old 01-03-2018, 08:19 PM

9,074 posts, read 8,342,204 times
Philadelphia? The Please Touch museum.

There are a number of amusement parks for small children in Pennsylvania.

Family-Friendly Attractions in Pennsylvania | #visitPA

Old 01-03-2018, 08:22 PM

86,992 posts, read 102,568,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
I'm thinking of introducing my 2 year olds to air travel this year and want to start by visiting a major city. What are some of the best large cities to take toddlers? My focus would be on amenities and activities suited to that age group, safety and convenience. I heard Atlanta is good and maybe Miami. Any other ideas?
Thanks in advance.
I agree with Kibbiekat. Take them places locally. There are no good large cities to take toddlers to.

Old 01-03-2018, 08:36 PM

2,905 posts, read 1,583,756 times
2 years old? Seems a bit premature to me unless you were visiting family, it seems like a petting zoo or a sandbox or a costume party or a children's group activity or beach where you live would be time better spent at that age, maybe by age 4-5 they will register what travel is about.

Old 01-03-2018, 09:46 PM
Status: "Disagreeing is not the same thing as trolling." (set 8 days ago)

9,481 posts, read 3,639,813 times
In the USA or anywhere in the world?

The only city I wouldn't visit with toddlers is Las Vegas.

Old 01-03-2018, 11:38 PM

4,387 posts, read 1,663,688 times
I don't remember being a 2-year old, but I remember having one. A car trip with toddlers is fine, but I think taking one on an airplane would be a lot like taking one to the dentist. Taking on an a plane trip and getting off the other end would be about the same as getting off a Greyhound bus in Shreveport -- at that age, everything different is different, and everything not different isn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or