U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 04:44 PM

240 posts, read 122,827 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm planning a trip with my brother and his fiance sometime late March this year.
This be my 3rd time in New York...

My first plan was to simply get a hotel, but seeing as we need 2 bedrooms (one for me, and the other for my brother and his fiance), the hotel option is very pricey.

So i was looking at maybe getting an Airbnb...

Any suggestions or tips from people who are in NYC or have use Airbnb before?
or any other hospitality suggestions would be appreciated.

---

Also side question... how is the weather in NYC in late March? We're from LA...so anything below 70 is considered cold lol.

Thanks in advance...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2018, 05:09 PM

9,784 posts, read 5,000,424 times
Just know that in NYC, it's technically illegal to rent an entire apartment for less than 30 days. So for a short-term trip, you have to be willing to share the apartment with the owner. (And anything that's a 3 bdrm is probably going to be very expensive)

And regarding your question about weather ... March is an unpredictable time of year. Average highs at the end of March are around the low 50's and average lows are in the mid-30's. But it could swing 10-20 degrees either way.

Old 01-03-2018, 05:22 PM

315 posts, read 158,551 times
I have rented in NYC via Airbnb many times over the past 7 years. I just went onto the Airbnb site and you can rent the whole apartment and not have to stay with the host. This is what I have always done in the past. Sometimes we rented a 2 bedroom when both our daughters were traveling with us and other times just a one bedroom with a sofa bed in the living room if only one daughter was with us. My advice is to read the reviews of the Airbnb hosts before selecting one. Also decide which area of town you want to be in. When my daughter lived near Lincoln Center we always did Airbnbs on the upper west side. When she moved further uptown we rented a couple places in Hamilton Heights and Harlem. I also check to see what subway lines the Airbnb is near. We have always had great places and good hosts for usually less than $200 per night.

The weather in March is cold for those of us from SoCal and also is sometimes rainy. I think when we last visited in March early April it was in the low 50's during the day and the low 40's at night.

Old 01-03-2018, 07:45 PM

6,387 posts, read 5,426,389 times
LaJollaEast, your rental was likely in violation of the law, which prohibits apartment being rented for fewer than 30 days.

My mother's building on the UWS had a problem with this a couple of years ago, and it ended up with some tourists being essentially kicked out during their stay. New Yorkers pray a premium for housing, in very tight quarters. People don't pay that kind of money to live in a tourist hotel with compromised security.

OP, you are better off finding a legal hotel.

Old 01-03-2018, 08:03 PM

9,784 posts, read 5,000,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaJollaEast View Post
I have rented in NYC via Airbnb many times over the past 7 years. I just went onto the Airbnb site and you can rent the whole apartment and not have to stay with the host.
If you haven't rented in the last year or so, you wouldn't have had an issue. It's relatively new legislation; enforcement started last February.

Old 01-03-2018, 08:08 PM

5,578 posts, read 5,093,804 times
Hmmmm,
We just stayed in an AirBnB in Brooklyn.
I'm not really interested in the legal ramifications. If someone had quizzed us, we might have said it was an AirBnB, or if it seemed like the Man was on to us, we might have said we were staying with a friend.

We did not compromise security that I'm aware of. If anything, we increased it because my daughters are very intimidating.

We did not have the entire apartment, there was a locked door. I don't know what was behind the locked door. Maybe the hostess was in there, maybe not!

To the OP, the AirBnB reviews are very helpful. Also, I would recommend doing some research on the neighborhood based on the street address. You can't really tell from one picture of the building if the neighborhood will suit your expectations.

Also, consider transportation costs. We selected a location based on proximity to a subway line. But sometimes we had to take two subways to get where we were going, which doubled our cost. Two fares times two directions times three people started to add up. Just a thought. In retrospect, we should have investigated that more carefully before selecting.

Old 01-03-2018, 08:44 PM

2,904 posts, read 1,583,756 times
March is a real wild card here weather wise, you could have gorgeous spring weather or miserable cold lashing rain & sleet or a blizzard. You'll need to check the forecast just before you leave to know what to expect. I would suggest looking for accommodations in Queens or Brooklyn, the important thing is your proximity to the subway to Manhattan by being near a station, check out google maps for that. Most parts of western Qns/Bklyn should do.

My relatives from Europe just stayed in a AirBnB in Astoria last week & it was fine.

Old 01-04-2018, 02:47 AM

71,508 posts, read 71,674,131 times
airbnb is still legal in nyc under certain conditions .

hosted short-term rentals—rentals where the human host is present in the unit—provided that the guest has access to all parts of the apartment or other dwelling unit

short-term rentals, whether hosted or not, in “private dwellings”—one-and two-family homes, or rentals of longer than 30 days.

Old 01-04-2018, 08:30 AM

315 posts, read 158,551 times
I'm just wondering how they are enforcing the short term rentals in NYC. I still see on Airbnb that hosts are offering entire apartments. We have not rented via Airbnb in the last year, but are looking at going to NYC next November so I will be curious if we will be able to use Airbnb at that time.

Old 01-04-2018, 08:47 AM

240 posts, read 122,827 times
Wow!! Good think I checked first...So AirBnb is in essence, illegal in NYC??
I agree with LaJollaEast.... I just checked AirBnb just now, and people continue to offer entire apartments...

Hotels are pricey!!! I honestly thought in March I was going to be able to get cheaper Hotel rates, but they seem "ordinary" expensive... is there still a "low" season in NYC??

Thanks everyone for your responses and help!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or