U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 08:38 AM

3,597 posts, read 1,531,647 times

Advertisements

I love Trip Advosor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 09:57 AM

3,361 posts, read 2,832,684 times
Not mentioned so far... Uber and VyprVPN.

I also use my Delta, Hilton Honors and Priority Pass apps fairly often.

Old 01-09-2018, 07:42 PM

466 posts, read 430,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban View Post
A great app for US citizens is Mobibe passport. Makes reentry in many airports a a breeze. Free. requires just a smartphone.
https://mobilepassport.us/
I've used this app twice so far, with no problems. I beat the line and breezed through customs.

Old 01-09-2018, 08:22 PM

54 posts, read 31,052 times
London Heathrow had a great map that included how to connect to all the transportation options, etc. I've already deleted it now, but it was helpful. I rented a car out of Heathrow and in UK Sat Navs are pretty standard, but not in Ireland, and they are expensive. In Ireland I just used my Nexus 7 tablet and turned tracking on...worked great. (Not sure where you are going in each country and which airport you are going in/out of).

I nearly exclusively used airbnb over there, but get your verifications set up in advance. Love airbnb!

TripAdvisor has been mentioned and is always great for getting top attractions, restaurants, etc for each area plus the reviews.

I have Android and use Hangouts along with most of the family here I wanted to keep in touch with. Free calls back to the states and text messages too. A lot of family over in England and Ireland used "Whats App".

Old 01-09-2018, 11:15 PM

38,002 posts, read 55,785,174 times
Quote:
A great app for US citizens is Mobibe passport. Makes reentry in many airports a a breeze. Free. requires just a smartphone.
https://mobilepassport.us/
I use it. Still need to stay in line to get a stamp in my passport and talk to immigration agent. Don't see anything special useful, except the declaration form you can complete online, and send out to the custom as a barcode. Sometimes the Mobile Passport line is shorter than the regular line, but more and more people are using it now, so both lines can get crowded.
Not all airports participate yet ( 24 only) - airlines need to participate too -- so you may find a combination of an airport that takes it and an airline that doesn't participate.
Works only in the US, so how is that Global?

Favorite apps? Booking.com, Sygic Travel, Waze, CurrencyPlus, Radio Garden, TripIt, FlightStats...
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Last edited by elnina; 01-09-2018 at 11:42 PM..

Old 01-10-2018, 09:45 AM

8,593 posts, read 11,079,658 times
Favorite apps/sites

Google Flights or the actual background of Matrix ITA software for all the flight options

Flightaware to make sure that sucker is on time, or where it is, or where it's coming from, or where that bird over your head is going to. I use it all the time to make sure my airport pickups are on time too.

Tripadvisor

Trivago - hotel booking/verification of TA reviews

xe.com - exchange rates

Old 01-10-2018, 10:18 AM

3,664 posts, read 6,487,596 times
Quote:
If you read my post I clearly mentioned it was for US citizens and re-entry, which for US citizens almost always means coming back to USA.

Since in USA you have to clear immigration and customs at the first port of entry even if your final destination might be another airport it makes sense to have this in those airports with the largest volume of international US ( and Canadian, for which this applies too) passenger first port of arrival. Hence the 24 airports though it is likely to be expanded further. Once an US citizen has used the app he will most likely never again stand in a queue or in front of a kiosk.
We used this in LAX on Sunday returning from Frankfurt, we literally were able to skip a line of multiple hundreds of people, we were the only people in the Mobile Passport line. What a breeze

Old 01-10-2018, 10:22 AM

1,940 posts, read 939,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I use it. Still need to stay in line to get a stamp in my passport and talk to immigration agent. Don't see anything special useful, except the declaration form you can complete online, and send out to the custom as a barcode. Sometimes the Mobile Passport line is shorter than the regular line, but more and more people are using it now, so both lines can get crowded.
Not all airports participate yet ( 24 only) - airlines need to participate too -- so you may find a combination of an airport that takes it and an airline that doesn't participate.
Works only in the US, so how is that Global?
I just returned to USA via Atlanta on 31st and the passport was not stamped. I think stamping passports in USA is a thing of the past. While each QR code on the smartphone is being scanned, the immigration officer just looks at your photo and at you. No questions at all. In 30 seconds we were done. There were 4 machine readers for the smartphone and no one else was behind us. As it gets popular it might get busy but I suspect more readers will be added and less agents will be in booths.

The list of airports is expanding and at 50 airports it will cover probably >90% of people who use them as their first port of entry. Beyond which, adding more airports will invoke law of diminishing returns.

Old 01-10-2018, 11:11 AM

8,593 posts, read 11,079,658 times
Quote:
I just returned to USA via Atlanta on 31st and the passport was not stamped. I think stamping passports in USA is a thing of the past. While each QR code on the smartphone is being scanned, the immigration officer just looks at your photo and at you. No questions at all. In 30 seconds we were done. There were 4 machine readers for the smartphone and no one else was behind us. As it gets popular it might get busy but I suspect more readers will be added and less agents will be in booths.

The list of airports is expanding and at 50 airports it will cover probably >90% of people who use them as their first port of entry. Beyond which, adding more airports will invoke law of diminishing returns.
You don't stamp US passports. The stamp is an entry mark/date marker. As a citizen and a US passport holder, you have a right to enter.

Old 01-10-2018, 12:13 PM

156 posts, read 110,556 times
We're currently travelling around the world and doing all our bookings as we go.

My best travel apps so far:

JR trains in Japan - Hyperdia. Flights - Skyscanner and Google Flights. Accommodation -Booking.com Trip.com, Agoda, Homestay.com and AirBnB. Grab in Asia for getting rides (like Lyft or Uber).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or