Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 06:25 PM

155 posts, read 148,999 times

Advertisements

... as well as Google Maps(used daily) and Foursquare.

The first thing I do when getting into a new country is get a local SIM card (they are cheap and useful).

In China I also used VPN Master.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2018, 08:52 PM

155 posts, read 148,999 times
... and Trail Wallet to record expenses. Keep a separate account for each country by category of expenses. Very easy to use and interesting to look back at.

Old 01-11-2018, 08:29 AM

2,691 posts, read 1,666,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatMil View Post
The first thing I do when getting into a new country is get a local SIM card (they are cheap and useful).
I used to get local SIM cards in Europe and South America in the past. In 2017 I switched to T-Mobile after Verizon fees started to climb even as I was getting less data for it. T-mobile may have its coverage issues in USA but in Europe and South and Central America and Asia they have free unlimited data and texting. Even though the data is advertised as low speed I found it to be 3G or even 4G and enough to use google maps, browse web and email and make voice calls via whatsapp. T-mobile has partnered with local providers in those countries and if you use their roaming partners, no additional fees are added.

And all this using my regular USA plan with no extra charges tacked on.

Old 01-11-2018, 08:47 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,418,753 times
Honestly? When I travel, I leave all tech at home (ebook and mp3 player as the exception). It gets in the way of what I want, a new experience. To be honest, I don't even do the smartphone thing (cost/benefit is Way on the wrong side) and rarely take my basic phone with me anyway.

Hasn't been an issue with multiples of out-of-country trips, just like it wasn't an issue before they became popular. I've found that while I can get some okay recommendations from places like Trip Advisor, once you start talking with locals they scoff at the ideas/places as "overhyped" most of the time and and suggest 10 places that are better (usually I'm looking for more authentic, a locals favorite).

So far, I've yet to find an app or website that beats simply talking with people. *shrugs* but I'm old and got burned out by working in tech for my career.

Old 01-11-2018, 09:27 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,548,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatMil View Post

In China I also used VPN Master.
How well did that work? VyprVPN was pretty inconsistent when I was in China last year. Tunnel Bear didn't work at all.

Old 01-17-2018, 08:31 AM

715 posts, read 1,073,812 times
- Many hotel/flight apps for any chain/carrier that I have used.
- Apple Wallet (for easy access to boarding passes, requires iPhone)
- Smart Traveler (US State Department STEP App) - I register whenever traveling overseas
- Mobile Passport
- MyTSA
- Priority Pass
- Momondo, Skyscanner, Hopper, Booking.com, Hotels.com, etc.
- TripAdvisor
- Google Maps, Maps.me, Here (all have the ability to download maps)
- What’s App
- Google Translate (you can download the language)
- XE Currency
- The World Clock feature on my iPhone - for multi-time zone travel
- Transit apps for the local city, when available and if necessary
- Groupon
- Notes

Old 01-17-2018, 05:50 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,208,266 times
Rome to Rio is as useful site for funky ways to get to funky places. If you can get there from here, this site will probably tell you how.

https://www.rome2rio.com/

Old 01-24-2018, 01:23 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,086,525 times
Gypsy Guide App
Cant go wrong with it.

Old 02-11-2018, 10:02 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,208,266 times
I have a special trick I use that minimizes a lot of that. I travel with only a tablet. Before I go I make a text file of any URLs that I might need to refer to while on the road. Then I copy and paste that text file into an email that I send to myself. So all I have to do is open my email and open the message "Links", and they are all right there, waiting to be clicked on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel