U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 09:09 AM

9,778 posts, read 16,966,691 times

Advertisements

If you don't pay a civil judgment, the creditor can file to seize your personal property and have it sold at auction so the debt can be satisfied.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2018, 02:44 PM

8,239 posts, read 11,104,689 times
Arrange to have your unit destroyed by a hurricane. They'll make you an offer.

Old 01-29-2018, 10:35 AM

11,383 posts, read 7,776,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
Thinking of just not paying maint fees on a timeshare.

Oh yeah, I'm on SS, pension, investment incone... so will never need a loan again.

No need for credit any more.. so what's the downside?
Timeshares are the lowest of the low scum scams. Just stop paying and ignore any requests from debt collectors, eventually they will go away and I think after 7 years they can't require you to pay. There is not much they can do. They can't foreclose on your home or anything. They can only get a claim against you that you do not have to pay. It would cost them more money to collect that it's worth. Timeshares are worthless debts and should be outlawed. Eventually if they can catch up to you they should offer a deed in lieu if you refuse to pay or they will foreclose on a worthless joke.

Old 01-29-2018, 10:37 AM

11,383 posts, read 7,776,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
If you don't pay a civil judgment, the creditor can file to seize your personal property and have it sold at auction so the debt can be satisfied.
Not gonna happen, all it will take is one person coming forward to a news company and running the story and the timeshare scam will be exposed to more people.

Why keep paying forever for something worthless that you will never use, in fact if you keep it and pay they will look to your family to inherit this scam so you keep paying.

All they have is fear to keep you paying, Once you are no longer afraid of them you are fine.

Last edited by LifeIsGood01; 01-29-2018 at 10:50 AM..

Old 01-29-2018, 04:07 PM

15,061 posts, read 18,990,908 times
One word of advice to OP: Change your phone number.

How do I know this? Because a lady named Wanda had my phone number more than five years ago. Evidently, Wanda liked Timeshares. We get calls at least twice a week from people trying to collect on her unpaid maintenance fees or trying to sell Wanda a new timeshare. No, I am NOT exaggerating.

Wanda's other debtors went away years ago. The timeshare schmucks never give up.

Old 01-29-2018, 11:18 PM

9,249 posts, read 11,806,344 times
If you read the legal sites, timeshares do in fact go after people in court all the time. What they are after is the judgement. Once they have that, they can make a person's life miserable. With states allowing renewals of judgments, the 7 year and it's gone isn't always true. A person who needs their credit intact, or looking for a job where credit checks are run, or any other reason a judgement could be detrimental, should not just ignore the civil suit.

Old 02-06-2018, 11:15 AM

4 posts, read 1,477 times
Cant you just sell it?

Old 02-06-2018, 08:14 PM

285 posts, read 296,015 times
Not to thread-jack, but my inlaws have one that they say they want to give to my wife and I in their will. We have no interest in it. I'm assuming we can just ignore this...

Old 02-06-2018, 09:05 PM

11,256 posts, read 43,368,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prost View Post
Not to thread-jack, but my inlaws have one that they say they want to give to my wife and I in their will. We have no interest in it. I'm assuming we can just ignore this...
That's how we got our timeshares. My in-laws "gifted" them to us, the timeshare company (Wyndham) made it a simple matter of filing some paperwork with them and we became the "new owners", responsible in perpetuity for the maintenance fees.

I'd told Mrs Sun to refuse the "gift" but that message didn't resonate with my in-laws. They couldn't accept that their treasured get-away golf trips weren't something that we were interested in doing. They simply signed over the Wyndham paperwork to us and we were legally obligated for the fees on the timeshares we now "owned".

Fortunately, Wyndham now recognizes that folk like us may have no interest or time to use the timeshares and have that program to quit-claim deed the timeshare back to them. There are apparently restrictions on the number of timeshare turn-ins they'll take each quarter and guidelines for who may qualify. We did, but our deeded timeshares had been paid for decades previously.

In comparison, a friend of mine ... a traveling sales rep ... bought numerous timeshares over the years to accommodate his travels. For a decade, they worked very well. But then he developed medical issues which ended his traveling career. Unable to use his timeshares, he's tried to sell them or turn them in to Wyndham. Nothin' doing ... he owes over $170,000 on his timeshares and Wyndham won't take them back even with a letter from his doctor certifying that he is unable to travel anymore to the various locations.

Old 02-07-2018, 08:32 AM

3,293 posts, read 1,558,065 times
For those with the Wyndham time shares, is it possible to rent out your week, or stay at any of the Caribbean resorts? Just curious, as there are very decent properties, with great locations. We are fans of their beach "all inclusive"properties, and certain perks at US locations. We have visited locations in the DR, Bahamas, Atlantic City and Orlando, we like their style..

One thing the OP might consider is settling with the timeshare company, or at least try to rent it out or sell it at a loss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel