U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What City Should I Visit?
Boston 0 0%
Chicago 2 5.71%
DC 6 17.14%
Philadelphia 2 5.71%
Toronto 0 0%
Vancouver 7 20.00%
Mexico City 18 51.43%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 07:27 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,038,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajams22 View Post
I'm looking at doing a small trip for my birthday, since it falls on a long weekend with President's Day in February.

The only problem is I'm not sure what city I should visit, especially since February isn't the prime time for great weather (but flights and accommodations are cheap )

So if you could choose one city of the bunch that I'm considering, what would it be and why?

Thanks!
Weather in the midwest/east coast cities that time of year will be iffy at best - that'll affect your enjoyment of their outdoor environment and, possibly, flights (delays, cancellations, etc.). Given that you have just a long weekend, I'd narrow the list to Mexico City or Vancouver (this assumes your passport's current). Other posts have pointed out merits of both. Me ... I'd opt for Vancouver mainly because you have the option of doing stuff in both the city and the (very, very beautiful) surrounding areas. Plus it's a somewhat shorter (3 v 4hr) plane ride.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 07:53 AM

6,387 posts, read 5,430,396 times
I'd go to Mexico City and eat, eat, eat.

Old 01-09-2018, 08:49 AM

7,670 posts, read 4,712,277 times
DC, since I used to live there and don't get to go back as often as I'd like. I hope to get there this year.

Favorites:

National Zoo (pandas!)
National Gallery
The Hirshhorn
Museum of American History
Air and Space
Whistler's "Peacock Room" in the Freer Gallery

Old 01-09-2018, 10:37 AM

1,844 posts, read 1,944,261 times
why are you asking people that? We don't know you, we don't know where you live what you can afford, what you like and it's not like you would go to where the majority is saying. besides, each of the respondent would say where they would go.

Old 01-09-2018, 11:45 AM

2,910 posts, read 1,589,162 times
I voted Mexico City on your list, no contest imo. But Jet Blue has a sale right now to destinations like Savannah, Charleston, New Orleans that would sway me.

Old 01-09-2018, 11:49 AM

506 posts, read 338,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRiteMA98 View Post
why are you asking people that? We don't know you, we don't know where you live what you can afford, what you like and it's not like you would go to where the majority is saying. besides, each of the respondent would say where they would go.
I asked because I was curious. I obviously have my reasons for wanting to go to each city, but I wanted to get opinions on what would draw other people there to take into account; hence not giving any of my own interests. I wanted to see, given the choices, what would draw people to what cities.

Last edited by ajams22; 01-09-2018 at 11:59 AM..

Old 01-09-2018, 12:02 PM

506 posts, read 338,967 times
Thanks for your responses!

I wanted to find out what each city offered to others, since I already know the kinds of things I would be interested in doing.

Coming from LA, the cold doesn't bother me too much (I'm from Oregon originally) if it's just a few days, so that's why I'm tempted to go for Philly or DC - but Mexico City would be much closer flight wise so my mind isn't completely made up yet.

How is Mexico City for someone who speaks/understands very little Spanish? The only thing that worries me is the language barrier. And my passport is current so no worries there, I've just heard differing opinions on safety and whatnot so I wasn't sure if it would be a good idea to go solo if I'm not super comfortable with understanding Spanish.

Old 01-09-2018, 12:39 PM

2,910 posts, read 1,589,162 times
If you stay near the "better" parts of town, remember that this is by some accounts the largest city in the world, vast & spread out, & be somewhat near the subway -"Metro" - it's not really a problem not knowing Spanish.

It was a while ago but where I stayed was next to the Paseo de la Reforma avenue in the cluster of hotels by the JW Marriott, it was nice. Plaza de San Jacinto on a Saturday morning during market is also very nice, lots to do in MC or nearby.

Old 01-09-2018, 02:10 PM

656 posts, read 177,457 times
I would like to suggest a city for your birthday which is not on the list: New York City.
The hotels should be cheap.
If you indicate your age group and likes and dislikes I could be more specific.
If your budget allows stay at the Renaissance’s at the Times Square on the actual birthday ( an alternative is just to come for breakfast).
Order a bottle of Champagne with your $32 breakfast and sip it overlooking the busy Times Square( ask for a window table) where some fat wallets greet New Year by watching the ball drop in the warm restaurant vs outside with crowds. One feels truly alive there!!!
Broadway shows, Madison Square Garden basketball/ hockey, museums, the coolest restaurants or free walks on the High-line.

Old 01-09-2018, 02:14 PM
DKM

2,828 posts, read 1,009,940 times
I've been to all of those but Toronto. You won't enjoy Vancouver in February unless dark and wet is your idea of fun. Mexico City hands down is the best for February. I don't speak Spanish and had a great time. Its cheap so if you can spend 150 a night, you can stay in a 5 star hotel downtown near the tourist areas. Its big, like LA, and has its bad and safe parts, like LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or