U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 04:18 PM

3,456 posts, read 2,256,353 times

Advertisements

I've been to London three times and these were my favorites. I'm an art lover so if you're not, some of these might not be of interest.

Victoria & Albert Museum (very good food at their restaurant)
Courtauld Gallery (Somerset House)
National Portrait Gallery (and their excellent coffee shop)
Tower of London
London Coliseum for a show (Mikado)
Kings Cross Station (for Harry Potter fans)
St. Paul's Cathedral

I did a city tour on my first trip with a tour company and recommend it. You get the lay of the land and see some of the more famous sights like Westminster/Big Bend, Buckingham Palace, Trafalgar Square. The Tube is certainly the way to travel but the buses are great too. LOVE London! Many more places I want to see so I'll be back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2018, 07:45 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,184,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
That's quite funny!
Good call! I missed the spelling mistake.

In any case, I highly recommend a visit to Stonehenge. I have seen it twice and find it an amazing place.

Old 01-25-2018, 05:14 PM

3,565 posts, read 1,876,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
Thanks to all the previous posters who helped me out planning an upcoming trip to London.

We decided on the Doubletree Tower of London for a hotel. I did consider renting an apartment but many are already booked, our trip is set for May 5/27-6/3. May 27th is a fly day so we'd actually be arriving on Monday the 28th.

lol, now so far here are some of the things I think we'd like to do. I'm only 1/2 way through the guidebooks, God have mercy on my soul.

Are any of them really not worth the time or would you suggest maybe a substitute. I have not thought about an schedule yet. Is it too much? not enough. we'll have 6 full days.

Tower of london
Westminster Abbey
Buckingham Palace (changing of the guard)
London Eye
National gallery
War museum/Churchill war rooms
National Gallery
Camden Market
British museum
Covenant Gardens
West end theater show.
Thames river cruise

lol and I'm only 1/2 way through the darn books. I think I may need to be tranquilized.
Perhaps I missed it in your other thread, but you don't mention your interests, really--which makes recommendations harder.

Depending on your approach to major museums, it seems like you could manage this list in 6 full days (ballparking 1/2 day for each item). A suggestion I haven't seen yet is the Courtauld Gallery which is a nice, (relatively) small art museum near Parliament.

I would also suggest you enjoy high tea at some point during your visit, and also that you try a chicken shop & a curry house.

Old 01-25-2018, 06:13 PM

1,180 posts, read 479,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
Perhaps I missed it in your other thread, but you don't mention your interests, really--which makes recommendations harder.

Depending on your approach to major museums, it seems like you could manage this list in 6 full days (ballparking 1/2 day for each item). A suggestion I haven't seen yet is the Courtauld Gallery which is a nice, (relatively) small art museum near Parliament.

I would also suggest you enjoy high tea at some point during your visit, and also that you try a chicken shop & a curry house.
I suggested the Courtauld Gallery in my itinerary posted to this thread back on Jan. 12. Small but excellent art museum with a fine quality to quantity ratio, well worth seeing. Also brought up the idea of eating at an Indian restaurant ó lots of options.

Agreed that high tea is a good idea, something I unfortunately didnít do on my visit to the city. For me, the problem is that it would have cut too much into sightseeing time, being an afternoon activity.

Old 01-25-2018, 08:40 PM

15,554 posts, read 13,541,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
Thanks to all the previous posters who helped me out planning an upcoming trip to London.

We decided on the Doubletree Tower of London for a hotel. I did consider renting an apartment but many are already booked, our trip is set for May 5/27-6/3. May 27th is a fly day so we'd actually be arriving on Monday the 28th.

lol, now so far here are some of the things I think we'd like to do. I'm only 1/2 way through the guidebooks, God have mercy on my soul.

Are any of them really not worth the time or would you suggest maybe a substitute. I have not thought about an schedule yet. Is it too much? not enough. we'll have 6 full days.

Tower of london
Westminster Abbey
Buckingham Palace (changing of the guard)
London Eye
National gallery
War museum/Churchill war rooms
National Gallery
Camden Market
British museum
Covenant Gardens
West end theater show.
Thames river cruise

lol and I'm only 1/2 way through the darn books. I think I may need to be tranquilized.
I use to live there, I would do;

Tower of London
British Museum
Natural history museum

Other things will depend on your interests.

The things I would find underwhelming if a visitor with such few days;

London eye
changing of the guard
Camden market
west end show
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or