U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 10:09 AM

194 posts, read 116,190 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the input! We chose Savanna this time around. We'll get to Charleston next time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2018, 12:04 PM

1,172 posts, read 478,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
Both are beautiful cities; however, unless you have a car, I'm not sure it's realistic to visit both.
I did just that a few years ago. Took an evening Greyhound bus from Atlanta to Savannah, spent the next two days sightseeing there, took an evening Amtrak train to Charleston after the end of the second day of Savannah sightseeing, spent the next three days sightseeing there, then flew home at the end of the third Charleston sigthseeing day.

Haven’t driven while on vacation in some time now.

Old 01-14-2018, 02:33 PM

996 posts, read 346,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwnmo View Post
Thanks for the input! We chose Savanna this time around. We'll get to Charleston next time!
You are going to love Savannah. It is very walk-able, charming, and friendly. My favorite restaurants are The Olde Pink House and Garabaldi's, but there are tons of great restaurants.

Old 01-14-2018, 04:08 PM

8,046 posts, read 5,888,251 times
Two great cities. We have visited both many times, prefer Charleston but not for any particular reason. I'd check out the city calendars for special events. To get a bad meal in either town you have to go someplace with a Fast Food trademark or else know a place. I never found one. Best steak in my life was Hall's Chophouse.

Old 01-14-2018, 06:05 PM

698 posts, read 255,661 times
Try to make it a 6-day trip and definitely do BOTH cities! You'll LOVE them both!

Old 01-14-2018, 08:52 PM

1,498 posts, read 1,189,287 times
Here's my take - fly into Charleston, rent a car and drive to Savannah (about 2 hours). Spend 2 days in Savannah. Drive back to Charleston and drop off the car either at airport or at a rental location near your hotel. Spend 2 days in Charleston and use a shuttle service to get back to the airport. Fewer car rental days and you won't have to worry about Charleston parking.

Old 01-15-2018, 05:46 AM

5,537 posts, read 9,938,870 times
I know the OP has already made their decision, but I don't get why many people insist on cramming multiple locations into such a short trip. Some travelers like to check off a lot of sites when they travel, which is fine, but others are content to soak up local scenery and culture and not spend their vacation time traveling between destinations, which is the mode the OP described.

Old 01-15-2018, 06:38 AM

1,172 posts, read 478,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
I know the OP has already made their decision, but I don't get why many people insist on cramming multiple locations into such a short trip. Some travelers like to check off a lot of sites when they travel, which is fine, but others are content to soak up local scenery and culture and not spend their vacation time traveling between destinations, which is the mode the OP described.
Couple thoughts:

-I actually didn’t feel rushed with the five day itinerary set up, though each day had plenty to do. It helps to clump things together that are close by, and for me that kind of pre-planning is fun. Given that my vacation time and funding are limited, this approach makes a lot of sense. And given these limitations, I always plan as if I’ll never have the chance to return, so I maximize my experience.

-I know some people find a leisurely stand-and-smell-the-roses type of vacation ideal. It would bore me to death, though. Seeing museums, historic houses, and architecture are my idea of fun.

Old 01-15-2018, 07:37 AM

26,520 posts, read 62,937,402 times
W drive when we go there. It is a beautiful drive and if you leave early in the morning, and only stop to look at a few cool things ont he way, you can be in Charleston in time for dinner.

Old 01-15-2018, 02:20 PM

8,246 posts, read 11,110,384 times
I love Charleston, don't have much use for Savannah. YMMV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel