U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 03:06 PM

21,191 posts, read 30,372,337 times

Advertisements

A good rule of thumb I find is a genuine smile, some humility (and sense of humor) along with respect for the local culture. It all goes a long way when traveling in a foreign land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2018, 03:45 PM

7,298 posts, read 15,350,510 times
I agree that it is likely to be the largish (14 person) tour groups. I don't think they are popular anywhere. I've been to a large % of the countries in Europe and never really had a problem with rudeness, although the very tourists places are less friendly than the smaller, more out-of-the-way areas. But, really, it is more of an issue with overall numbers. Heck, I was in Washington DC in October and there were a ton of tour groups "doing" the museums, both foreign groups and US groups, and they were all pretty rude, rushing through the museum, blocking exhibits, pushing people aside, talking loudly (often over the guide or docent).

Old 01-16-2018, 03:50 PM

21,959 posts, read 22,118,041 times
[quote=BabyJuly;50707906]I travel a lot with English speaking tour groups. I have been to places and have had interactions where you get a definite vibe that Americans are not welcome or are undesirable tourists. Anyway, I have a few of experiences:
1. In Morocco, traveling with a 14 person tour group of women, men everywhere at mint tea houses sitting outside smoking and frowning at our group.
2. On a bus tour passing through Germany, stopping at rest stops and being treated rudely by cashiers as you try to purchase something without speaking German.
3. In Paris at the Moulin Rouge, rude waiters, and being herded like cattle in lines and packed into tiny tables; requests ignored.
4. From tour guides, making sneaky snide comments about Americans, e.g. In China, tour guide kept referring to Americans as "Big Nose"; On a tour through Europe, Tour Guide insinuating Americans are too demanding and are expected to be big tippers more than Australians.
5. Stopping on a cruise in Bahamas, where frowning vendors were rude and suck their teeth if you say not interested.

Quote:
Have you visited places where you you felt unwelcome or singled out because you were American or simply just for being a tourist?
Only in France. Everywhere else we've been, we've been very well-received. I've been to Germany twice and have always felt welcome there. I would have to say that when we were in Jerusalem, most of the Jewish people we interacted with were less than warm towards us. I'm not sure whether their reasons were religious or political.

Old 01-16-2018, 04:42 PM

345 posts, read 154,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyJuly View Post
I travel a lot with English speaking tour groups. I have been to places and have had interactions where you get a definite vibe that Americans are not welcome or are undesirable tourists. Anyway, I have a few of experiences:
1. In Morocco, traveling with a 14 person tour group of women, men everywhere at mint tea houses sitting outside smoking and frowning at our group.
2. On a bus tour passing through Germany, stopping at rest stops and being treated rudely by cashiers as you try to purchase something without speaking German.
3. In Paris at the Moulin Rouge, rude waiters, and being herded like cattle in lines and packed into tiny tables; requests ignored.
4. From tour guides, making sneaky snide comments about Americans, e.g. In China, tour guide kept referring to Americans as "Big Nose"; On a tour through Europe, Tour Guide insinuating Americans are too demanding and are expected to be big tippers more than Australians.
5. Stopping on a cruise in Bahamas, where frowning vendors were rude and suck their teeth if you say not interested.

Have you visited places where you you felt unwelcome or singled out because you were American or simply just for being a tourist?
Americans have always had a bad reputation abroad. Americans can be loud, rude, and demanding - even obnoxious when things don't go their way. Americans can also be culturally ignorant dressing improperly, etc. Many times I've been embarrassed by my fellow Americans' behavior.

I do my research before traveling to a new country, am culturally aware, and try to be as nice as possible and can honestly say that I can't remember be treated badly or feeling unwelcome when traveling.

As far as your comments:
1) It's possible that the women were not dressed properly, being loud, or who knows what. Morocco is on the conservative side so it could just be the fact that women were travelling alone. I didn't have issues in Morocco.
2) Has not been my experience. In fact, one act of kindness happened to me by a shopkeeper in Germany.
3) Moulin Rouge is touristy. And the French are stereotyped as rude the way Americans are stereotyped as loud, rude, etc. I've found at least attempting the language may help.
4) I do believe the Chinese have passed Americans as the rudest travelers. My own experiences in China were not great but that was not due to the fact that I'm American. Tipping is not part of the culture in many countries so maybe Americans are being made to be for their bad behavior.
5) There are plenty of places with touts competing to make a living. Annoying as they may be most of the time a simple no thank you works. I'm not sure what sucking in their teeth is or sounds like?

Old 01-16-2018, 04:48 PM

17,276 posts, read 10,200,031 times
What's interesting is that I did a search and there's actually multiple links to this very subject:

Eight places that hate tourists the most | The Independent

https://www.cntraveler.com/galleries...ourist-numbers

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/05/tour...tinations.html

We're not talking about forum member opinions and experiences, we're talking about the citizens of some of these places actually marching against tourists and city officials wanting to clamp down on tourism. That's about as unwelcoming to tourists as it gets.

Interesting that Venice gets mentioned several times. Venice is actually a city I would like to visit later this year.

Old 01-16-2018, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
It is unrealistic to expect tourists to learn something of the language when they are on a tour to multiple countries. Last time we were in Europe we went to Italy, France, Portugal, Spain and Norway.
There are language translating apps that are great! We used it a lot in China - didn't even know about it until the Chinese owner of a restaurant used it on us!

Old 01-16-2018, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
What's interesting is that I did a search and there's actually multiple links to this very subject:

Eight places that hate tourists the most | The Independent

https://www.cntraveler.com/galleries...ourist-numbers

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/05/tour...tinations.html

We're not talking about forum member opinions and experiences, we're talking about the citizens of some of these places actually marching against tourists and city officials wanting to clamp down on tourism. That's about as unwelcoming to tourists as it gets.

Interesting that Venice gets mentioned several times. Venice is actually a city I would like to visit later this year.
The problem for Venice is when a cruise ship comes in and dumps a few thousand people in the city. Great place, but just can't handle that many tourists. Same thing in Barcelona - too many cruise ships. Both of those places are wonderful minus the cruisers!

Old 01-16-2018, 05:21 PM

14,699 posts, read 8,487,248 times
"Places where tourists not welcome?"

America.

Old 01-16-2018, 07:01 PM

4,696 posts, read 2,546,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBuenaVida View Post
The problem for Venice is when a cruise ship comes in and dumps a few thousand people in the city. Great place, but just can't handle that many tourists. Same thing in Barcelona - too many cruise ships. Both of those places are wonderful minus the cruisers!
I agree about the cruise ship problem; however, Barcelona has about 6 times the population of Venice and is spread out more. Barcelona can absorb considerably more tourists than Venice.

I am so glad I visited Venice when it was truly magical, decades before it was swamped with cruise ships.
The only seagoing vessel on the days I was there as a very young woman belonged to the U.S. Navy.

To get to Venice I took the train there from Switzerland, and by the time I arrived in Venice—with the help of my phrase book—I could speak rudimentary Italian, i.e. knew currency, numbers, greetings, directions, food items, etc.

I did that for every country I visited throughout Europe. The only difficult language was Dutch (especially pronunciation), and over the years I have learned enough Dutch to get by there, too, even though it is not "necessary" since most of the Dutch, like the Belgians, know multiple languages, including English.

Old 01-16-2018, 07:17 PM

3,605 posts, read 3,166,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Both of my worst experiences happened in the States.

One was traveling by motorcycle with a grandpa, grandma, their daughter and her daughter. I was a middle-aged woman so this one elderly gentleman traveling with a group of women was hardly a threatening sight. But we were refused service in Amish country and constantly harassed by police in Branson, Missouri. LOL. If they'd just stopped to think for a minute, what kind of bad bikers take their vacations in those areas!

The other place I now avoid in my travels is the Miami International Airport. I've never experienced such overt hostility.
We had a really odd experience at Walmart in Seminole, TX several years ago. I think we were on a Sunday. We were driving through. Apparently, there are a lot of Mennonites there. They were very unfriendly. They did not talk. They stared at us the entire time we were there. There were only a few other people in the store. The non-Mennonites were friendlier. I don't know why the Mennonites were like that. I had on shorts which is not a part of their dress code, but they were a longer type short and my shirt was not a t-shirt, but had short sleeves like that and a round neck line. It was a modest outfit by regular American standards.
I took my then two year old son to the bathroom while we were there. They stared at him too. I'm assuming I broke some cultural taboo of theirs, but I'm not really sure what it was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or