U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-17-2018, 05:38 AM
 
Location: North Dakota
7,743 posts, read 9,044,025 times
Reputation: 11148

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyJuly View Post
I travel a lot with English speaking tour groups. I have been to places and have had interactions where you get a definite vibe that Americans are not welcome or are undesirable tourists. Anyway, I have a few of experiences:
1. In Morocco, traveling with a 14 person tour group of women, men everywhere at mint tea houses sitting outside smoking and frowning at our group.
2. On a bus tour passing through Germany, stopping at rest stops and being treated rudely by cashiers as you try to purchase something without speaking German.
3. In Paris at the Moulin Rouge, rude waiters, and being herded like cattle in lines and packed into tiny tables; requests ignored.
4. From tour guides, making sneaky snide comments about Americans, e.g. In China, tour guide kept referring to Americans as "Big Nose"; On a tour through Europe, Tour Guide insinuating Americans are too demanding and are expected to be big tippers more than Australians.
5. Stopping on a cruise in Bahamas, where frowning vendors were rude and suck their teeth if you say not interested.

Have you visited places where you you felt unwelcome or singled out because you were American or simply just for being a tourist?
Most people have better things to do than not like Americans. Sometimes you get rude people because there are rude people everywhere. And how do you suck your teeth? Did they have dentures?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-17-2018, 06:11 AM
 
345 posts, read 155,144 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
I agree about the cruise ship problem; however, Barcelona has about 6 times the population of Venice and is spread out more. Barcelona can absorb considerably more tourists than Venice.
I believe almost 3MM cruise passengers (excluding ferry passengers and those who fly in) embark from Barcelona, which even as spread out as the city is, is still a lot of people. Locals and officials apparently agree. There are some very interesting articles about anti-tourism in Barcelona.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2018, 07:09 AM
 
10,238 posts, read 12,272,232 times
Reputation: 14124
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
This. I would never go back to Paris, not just because of the animosity towards Americans, but the city was dirty and polluted, and street vendors trying to push people to buy things. It's a shame. I'm sure it was a beautiful city perhaps fifty years ago.
I was there a few years ago and it started raining at the Champs-Elysees. When I walked inside a store the employees were changing the price on the umbrellas! Anything on that street will be overpriced but to get caught in the act doubling/tripling the price because it was raining is a whole new level. I laughed and said I'd rather get wet for free!

I've been to over a dozen European countries and I can't see myself returning to France. Too many other cool places to go!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2018, 07:10 AM
 
10,238 posts, read 12,272,232 times
Reputation: 14124
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyJuly View Post
I travel a lot with English speaking tour groups. I have been to places and have had interactions where you get a definite vibe that Americans are not welcome or are undesirable tourists. Anyway, I have a few of experiences:
1. In Morocco, traveling with a 14 person tour group of women, men everywhere at mint tea houses sitting outside smoking and frowning at our group.

5. Stopping on a cruise in Bahamas, where frowning vendors were rude and suck their teeth if you say not interested.


Have you visited places where you you felt unwelcome or singled out because you were American or simply just for being a tourist?

Just for the record, I believe they would be called sh!thole countries!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2018, 07:23 AM
 
659 posts, read 325,511 times
Reputation: 1974
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
Why didn't you title it as "Places where American tourists are not welcome"? if that was the point of your question? You made it sound like you were asking the entire world the question.
I didn't title it as you suggested because I am not you. Thanks for providing your interpretation of my question.

I mean experiences as an American or other tourist in general, not everyone on CD is American.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2018, 07:33 AM
 
3,274 posts, read 3,699,115 times
Reputation: 5438
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyJuly View Post

not everyone on CD is American.
That is precisely my point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2018, 08:01 AM
 
2,952 posts, read 1,641,880 times
Reputation: 5292
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
This. I would never go back to Paris, not just because of the animosity towards Americans, but the city was dirty and polluted, and street vendors trying to push people to buy things. It's a shame. I'm sure it was a beautiful city perhaps fifty years ago.
Feel the same way. Had to watch where you walk, they don't pick up dog crap.

One of the cab drivers asked us what we thought of Paris. I said friendly to American's. We were staying at the George V hotel. He said walk 3 blocks in that direction and see how friendly they are to you.
This was 2007.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2018, 08:20 AM
 
12,304 posts, read 18,425,337 times
Reputation: 19205
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyJuly View Post
I didn't title it as you suggested because I am not you. Thanks for providing your interpretation of my question.

I mean experiences as an American or other tourist in general, not everyone on CD is American.
That wasn't addressed to me, but you specified AMERICANS at least twice in your first post. You were very specific. If you intended for the post to be about where tourists in general, from any country, are not welcome you should start over and delete this one as it's much more appropriate, I agree, to have a thread about cultures or jaded tourists sights that just don't appreciate visitors regardless of where they are from.
This one just feeds the myth that American tourists specifically are not welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2018, 09:15 AM
 
659 posts, read 325,511 times
Reputation: 1974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
That wasn't addressed to me, but you specified AMERICANS at least twice in your first post. You were very specific. If you intended for the post to be about where tourists in general, from any country, are not welcome you should start over and delete this one as it's much more appropriate, I agree, to have a thread about cultures or jaded tourists sights that just don't appreciate visitors regardless of where they are from.
This one just feeds the myth that American tourists specifically are not welcome.
Kindly do not presume to tell me what to do. Whats done is done. I suggest you turn your attention to another thread. Its not like this is being broadcast on the evening news. And like you know for sure it is a myth. There are others that would disagree with you. Your entitled to your opinion. I will not be bullied!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2018, 09:19 AM
 
3,274 posts, read 3,699,115 times
Reputation: 5438
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyJuly View Post
Kindly do not presume to tell me what to do. Whats done is done. I suggest you turn your attention to another thread. Its not like this is being broadcast on the evening news. And like you know for sure it is a myth. There are others that would disagree with you. Your entitled to your opinion. I will not be bullied!
You're certainly very touchy. Perhaps those folks in Germany and Morocco detected these vibes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top