U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 11:14 AM

11,602 posts, read 3,970,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
Interesting post, BNW. One reason there may be a drop in alcohol consumption is cost. It has always been expensive to purchase beverages out, especially alcohol, and that has gotten only more so over the years. If it gets high enough, something’s got to give. Coffee in a coffee shop, while decidedly no bargain, is cheaper than alcohol at a pub in absolute terms.
Half of Brits nowe shun regular drinking and this is particularly true in relation to the young and there is a rise in abstinence and teetotalism.

In terms of the price, I was actually arguing that some resorts where there are problems should raise the price of alcohol in order to discourage problem drinking.

I am not against people having a good time however sensible drinking should be encouraged as opposed to mile after mile of bars selling spitits (hard liquor) and beer for ridiculously low prices.

More coffee shops and reasturants and a reduction of bar culture might also help reduce problem drinking in some resorts and I do sympathise with the Mayor of Magaluf, and wish him every success in turning the resort in to a more family friendly one.

I also wonder about new resprts in Eastern Europe such as Sunny Beach in Bulgaria, which seems to be going all out to attract the wrong type of tourists, and maybe asking for increased disorder, bad behaviour and other drinking related problems.

Want a holiday where beer is just 70p a bottle? Head to Sunny Beach - Guardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post

Depends on the type of coffee you're buying. One of the more complex espresso drinks from Costa or Starbucks can easily run you more than the cheap pint option at a pub.

I agree Coffee chains are often very expensive and can work out similar to the price of a half or even a pint of beer.

Last edited by Brave New World; 01-21-2018 at 11:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2018, 06:17 PM

1,198 posts, read 800,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Most people have better things to do than not like Americans. Sometimes you get rude people because there are rude people everywhere. And how do you suck your teeth? Did they have dentures?
Bite down open wide and inhale threw your teeth.

Old 01-24-2018, 10:51 AM

2,289 posts, read 1,294,870 times
One gets the impression that continental Europeans don't much like the British.

Old 01-25-2018, 10:43 AM

28 posts, read 9,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
One gets the impression that continental Europeans don't much like the British.
I wouldn't let your judgement be clouded by a few people on an internet forum and their tited out of date sterotyping of entire nations and peoples.

You would think Canadians and Americans hated each other from some of the threads here, but we don't.

Old 01-26-2018, 01:25 PM

8,581 posts, read 11,067,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyingllama View Post

You would think Canadians and Americans hated each other from some of the threads here, but we don't.
Yes we do.

Old 01-29-2018, 10:31 AM

9,519 posts, read 13,439,344 times
New York City. If you can't walk & keep up with our pace, find a new city to visit.

No seriously & the ones that just stop in the middle of the sidewalk... keep walking people. Get moving or get out!

Old 01-30-2018, 05:56 AM

4,379 posts, read 1,663,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
The thread was about tourists not being welcome, not certain religions being prohibited. Mecca accepts over ten million faith tourists every year, so clearly tourists are welcome.
They are not tourists. The Haj is a religious obligation, not a vacation. It entails considerable hardship. I saw livestock trucks in Mali, full of families enroute on a six month endurance across the Sahara to Mecca

There are over six billion people in the world, 85% of the world's population, who are not welcome in Mecca, as tourists or any other reason. That's good enough evidence for me.

Old 01-30-2018, 07:30 AM

21,318 posts, read 21,877,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
New York City. If you can't walk & keep up with our pace, find a new city to visit.

No seriously & the ones that just stop in the middle of the sidewalk... keep walking people. Get moving or get out!
how 'bout if I walk reeeeeal slooooow.....

Old 01-30-2018, 10:35 AM

5,926 posts, read 2,887,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
They are not tourists. The Haj is a religious obligation, not a vacation. It entails considerable hardship.
Negative.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_tourism
Religious tourism, also commonly referred to as faith tourism, is a type of tourism, where people travel individually or in groups for pilgrimage, missionary, or leisure (fellowship) purposes. The world's largest form of mass religious tourism takes place at the annual Hajj pilgrimage in Mecca, Saudi Arabia. North American religious tourists comprise an estimated $10 billion of the industry.

Old 01-30-2018, 12:05 PM

9,738 posts, read 8,057,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Without speaking German? In Germany?

You'll get no sympathy from me. One of my biggest pet peeves is Americans/Canadians/Australians/Kiwis and others in foreign countries who don't learn how to greet people in the language of the country, count, ask for directions to the bathroom or order meals, etc. and expect everyone to cater to them in English.

You don't need to speak the other languages fluently or even close to it, but not to try is extremely rude.

Get a foreign phrase book. There are some pocket-sized ones that include most or all of the European languages. Then practice. Nowadays it is so much easier with pronunciation guides online.
English is the language of commerce all over the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or