U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 10:48 AM

6,387 posts, read 5,482,811 times

Advertisements

I'd just book flights based on the locations of the events you want to see, then do the same for hotels. I don't understand using a travel agent for this, and I definitely wouldn't use a rando third party website.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2019, 07:57 AM

777 posts, read 217,077 times
I am planning on going to Olympics 2020. The Olympics have been a bucket list item for me since I was a kid. Yes, I think it will be crowded and give me major anxiety, and I could possibly regret it. We shall see.

I am wondering about tickets: I have very minimal time off in my job- I am not planning to stay for the entire 2 weeks. I need specific days off and events. But it looks like on CoSport, you just tag the sports you are interested in and they- what?- let you know later??? I don't get it.

Has anyone ever winged it and just waited to see what tickets you could get? I REALLY want to see Simone Biles, but I bet those are the most expensive tickets in the whole event.

Old 05-28-2019, 08:09 AM

3,682 posts, read 1,838,972 times
Love Japan for several reasons. Don't like horrible crowding like the NYC subways during the rush hour. Or exorbitant event pricing. Sports have lost their luster after absolute greed dominated almost everything. Where have the heroes gone? No - won't be going.

Would be interesting some other time.

Old 05-28-2019, 08:40 AM

2,132 posts, read 2,932,970 times
OMG, Tokyo is crowded enough without the Olympics, NO WAY would I go there during a big event like this!

Go visit the place when the games are over, you'll get more out of it. Tokyo is the safest, most orderly, and cleanest city I've ever visited (IMO, it beats Singapore by a mile wide in those categories). I don't think I've ever met anyone more obsessed with rules and cleanliness than the Japanese. I was walking up and down Tokyo past midnight (not by choice, but forced by horrible jetlag) and I never felt unsafe. And that's how I found a tiny late night ramen shop by accident on a small alley near Shinjuku - best ramen I've had in my life .

Old 05-28-2019, 10:56 AM

777 posts, read 217,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
OMG, Tokyo is crowded enough without the Olympics, NO WAY would I go there during a big event like this!

Go visit the place when the games are over, you'll get more out of it. Tokyo is the safest, most orderly, and cleanest city I've ever visited (IMO, it beats Singapore by a mile wide in those categories). I don't think I've ever met anyone more obsessed with rules and cleanliness than the Japanese. I was walking up and down Tokyo past midnight (not by choice, but forced by horrible jetlag) and I never felt unsafe. And that's how I found a tiny late night ramen shop by accident on a small alley near Shinjuku - best ramen I've had in my life .
Thank you!
Yes, the crowds may get to me, but I also think the crowds will be bad for any olympics. I have always had this at the top of my bucket list (olympics) and at the same time, wonder if my fascination is so high, versus, the reality so low, that I should just keep it a fantasy.

The cost is projected to be among the most costly of any Olympics ever. I am actually more fascinated by Kyoto and Okinawa if I were "just going to Japan" so the plan was to only stay in Tokyo for like 2 sports events, then get on the train and go elsewhere.

As of this moment, all hotels are "booked" on the regular travel sites, and costs are about $1500/night median - Yikes!

Old 05-28-2019, 07:42 PM

2,591 posts, read 1,700,559 times
I will be terribly hot and humid during the Olympics

Old 05-29-2019, 11:56 AM

8,441 posts, read 11,260,019 times
I don't like crowds.

Old 06-17-2019, 08:11 AM

5,675 posts, read 8,271,335 times
OP back! Glad to see someone going too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshaBrady1968 View Post
I am planning on going to Olympics 2020. The Olympics have been a bucket list item for me since I was a kid. Yes, I think it will be crowded and give me major anxiety, and I could possibly regret it. We shall see.

I am wondering about tickets: I have very minimal time off in my job- I am not planning to stay for the entire 2 weeks. I need specific days off and events. But it looks like on CoSport, you just tag the sports you are interested in and they- what?- let you know later??? I don't get it.

Has anyone ever winged it and just waited to see what tickets you could get? I REALLY want to see Simone Biles, but I bet those are the most expensive tickets in the whole event.
Ah, glad to see you're going too! Are you planning it by yourself or going w/ a travel co? I chose the company Bucket List Events. You & I can keep in touch on here hopefully from time to time to see what planning progress we've made OR you can PM me anything about it!

What's the best travel insurance to get? What company are you going w/? I have no idea yet.

I know we have to get passports & still get plane tickets too. And that Real ID w/ the DMW is going to go into affect around the time, but I believe that starts October 2020, so we'll be back from the Olympics way by then.

What site(s) are you search for plane tickets & what's the best time to get them for the best price?

Re: sports tickets, May 31st was the deadline to submit your Olympics sports ticket request w/ CoSport.
Then, June 20th is the date to accept or reject what you requested.
Finally, June 26th is the deadline to pay.

They couldn't tell us the pricing yet though. How much do you think it is per person? $250 - 400 depending on the sport & where in the stadium you're sitting?

I wanted track & field, gymnastics, & maybe tennis. I chose to NOT request tennis because even though I'm a huge tennis fan, I haven't been watching it on TV lately anyway & I'd rather actually see the more unique sports that they don't show as much on TV. Plus, I want to see more of the sights while I'm there rather than sitting up in a stadium 1/2 the time. I'll only be there a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post

That's good to hear. Yes, I read how clean & safe it is there.

Old 08-23-2019, 09:50 AM

5,675 posts, read 8,271,335 times
OP back & we're 11 mos away!

I got tickets for track & field & as long as I got it for at least 1 sport, I'm good because I don't want to be sitting up there in a sports stadium for 1/2 of my time there when I can be exploring Japan.

Plane tickets - How far ahead would you get plane tickets & what's the usual rate for 2 people for just regular class (not business class)?

Passports - I've got to get the ball rolling to get that & my SO will have to get his Real ID soon. I won't have to worry about the Real ID myself.

Any other things to start thinking about 11 mos before a big trip?

Old 08-23-2019, 02:17 PM

21,563 posts, read 22,173,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
OP back & we're 11 mos away!

I got tickets for track & field & as long as I got it for at least 1 sport, I'm good because I don't want to be sitting up there in a sports stadium for 1/2 of my time there when I can be exploring Japan.

Plane tickets - How far ahead would you get plane tickets & what's the usual rate for 2 people for just regular class (not business class)?

Passports - I've got to get the ball rolling to get that & my SO will have to get his Real ID soon. I won't have to worry about the Real ID myself.

Any other things to start thinking about 11 mos before a big trip?
Would you mind holding up a big sign that says "Hi Ghengis" near the finish line of the Women's Steplechase so I know you made it there OK?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or