U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2019, 04:12 PM

2,453 posts, read 864,604 times

Advertisements

My nephew was in the Beijing and London Olympics on the US swim team. I didn't go. Hate crowds, hate ripoff pricing for special events. I cheered him on at home. (He got a Silver in Beijing and a Silver and Gold in London.) I don't want to share his name since his last name is the same as mine.

Let us know how it goes, though! I'll be particularly interested in plane and hotel prices compared to what they are outside the Olympics dates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2019, 07:35 AM

5,675 posts, read 8,271,335 times
Anyone have any answers to my questions?

athena53, nice, will do!

I don't care for crowds either, but at times in life, if I want to see & do things during unique times, I'll just have to bite the bullet & do them.

Old 08-25-2019, 06:32 AM

2,453 posts, read 864,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshaBrady1968 View Post
I am planning on going to Olympics 2020. The Olympics have been a bucket list item for me since I was a kid. Yes, I think it will be crowded and give me major anxiety, and I could possibly regret it. We shall see.
Aren't you also planning a Greek cruise next year? That's a lot to do in one year!

Old 08-25-2019, 07:02 AM
Status: "Proud American, Always and Forever" (set 24 days ago)

12,706 posts, read 6,573,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDigitalNomadofTruth View Post
Yes the problem is the hotels in Japan will be outrageously priced during that period. I cringe when I imagine how much they will be.
Book now! That's how I got a good deal for my room during the 2008 Beijing Olympics. Yes, its a bit of a gamble to book this far out, but you'll probably be able to book a fully refundable room so perhaps not so much of a gamble.

Old 08-25-2019, 07:05 AM

I'm thinking about going with my brother. We also have some friends in the Tokyo area (teachers and military), so it would be a good time to catch up as well.

I've done the Olympics before (2008 Beijing) and had a great time at the events, even if I didn't enjoy my time in Beijing as a solo traveler particularly. But I have been to Japan numerous times so know what I am getting into.

Only thing that's stopping me from making moves now is the fact that I may be traveling for work during that period

Old 08-25-2019, 08:22 AM

10,114 posts, read 5,221,963 times
My sister and I are taking her children to Guam next summer to show them where their late grandmother was from. Since we will have a layover in Japan, the kids really want to time it with the Olympics and spend a few days there on the way to Guam. I can't say I'm particularly excited about dealing with the crowds. But we may see if we can pull this off for them.

Old 08-26-2019, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
My sister and I are taking her children to Guam next summer to show them where their late grandmother was from. Since we will have a layover in Japan, the kids really want to time it with the Olympics and spend a few days there on the way to Guam. I can't say I'm particularly excited about dealing with the crowds. But we may see if we can pull this off for them.
That would be a real treat for them! Both Guam and Japan. I've spent several weeks on Guam and really enjoy it there. The best beaches I've been to. Great weather (yes, it gets hot and humid there, but I'm okay with that). And I generally enjoy the culinary scene on the island.

Old Yesterday, 08:32 AM

5,675 posts, read 8,271,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Book now! That's how I got a good deal for my room during the 2008 Beijing Olympics. Yes, its a bit of a gamble to book this far out, but you'll probably be able to book a fully refundable room so perhaps not so much of a gamble.

Yeah thanks, the hotel's been booked long ago. The main things I still need to do/get are:

- plane tickets - when's the best time to get the best price?
- travel insurance
- passport
- what fun excursions & must-see's are there to do during late July?

Anything else OR have any info on the above list? Does one need any kind of medical shots before going to Japan, I assume not.

Old Yesterday, 08:51 PM

9,447 posts, read 8,474,054 times
Forever, you need to get the ball rolling on those passports!

That's a huge issue.

Just understand that it will be hot, humid, and crowded and you should have a blast!

Old Today, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Yeah thanks, the hotel's been booked long ago. The main things I still need to do/get are:

- plane tickets - when's the best time to get the best price?
- travel insurance
- passport
- what fun excursions & must-see's are there to do during late July?

Anything else OR have any info on the above list? Does one need any kind of medical shots before going to Japan, I assume not.
Looking back through my email, I see that I booked my flight to Beijing from NYC in October of 2007, so 10 months before I left for the Olympics; I was there for 10 days toward the end of the games. I doubt you have to buy so far out in advance (and I hear that it may not be preferable to do so). While I don't have general advice on the time of year (I can't recall if I got a good deal on my airfare by booking so far in advance vs. had I waited until closer to the games), there are some tricks you can take to save money on flights, including buying your flights on a Tuesday after 3pm eastern standard time, among other tricks. This article explains why: https://www.tripsavvy.com/fiding-rio...-deals-4023670

Apart from checking out the culinary scene, I'd be interested in seeing some of the historical architecture and parks. I might even want to check out Disneyland in Tokyo But that's me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or