U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 02:35 PM

4,126 posts, read 3,781,104 times

Advertisements

But at least there's no "drama" over a tiny piece of land, that happens to be the cradle of monotheism, with holy sites sacred to Judaism, Christianity, and Islam, not to mention the beautiful Baha'i temple and gardens in Haifa. (You've heard of the Baha'is, right? That peaceful monotheistic offshoot of Islam that's been genocidally exterminated in Iran?) And an incredible variety of National Parks, museums, vibrant cities thriving with diverse life - straight, gay, religious, non-religious, Arab, Jewish, Christian, Russian, Ethiopian, and the foods and cultures of the Jewish immigrants from all over the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2018, 04:49 PM

21,353 posts, read 24,094,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
Dubai has got to be THE most overrated destination in the world. There is absolutely nothing to do there, except shop, eat, shop, eat, shop and eat until either you go broke or your liver fails, whichever is first.
Hey, Don't forget we can go skiing in Dubai.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIX9ju_ZbAY

Old 01-21-2018, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
If you're planning a brief trip, Petra is incredible to see. Now is a good time to go, because tours and tourists are avoiding Jordan (and, in fact, a lot of other places), because of fear of terrorist attacks. But Petra is really only worth two full days, if you are able-bodied. There's also Wadi Rum to take a jeep tour, and you could go to the Dead Sea on the Jordanian side, although going to the Dead Sea, especially at this time of year, is mostly about soaking in the Dead Sea water indoor hot pools at luxurious spa hotels on the Israeli side - I have no idea what the hotels are like on the Jordanian side. And you could go see Amman and Aqaba. So I'm sure you could make a week or ten day trip there, especially with your husband speaking Arabic.
I use Jordan as my stop over country when I'm heading to and from my work in Dubai and there isn't really much to do in Jordan. On the flights back (to the US) I go the the Ma'in Hot Springs to relax. I enjoy it more than the dead sea resorts (on either side). As to Petra it's a long 4 hour desert drive (most start from Amman) drive that has to be done in daytime (road conditions are not the best for night time driving). Spend a day or two doing the touristy stuff and then spend a day driving back north.

https://www.hostelbookers.com/blog/destinations/petra/

Old 01-21-2018, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
There are only three countries in the MidEast that I would visit, Israel, Jordan, and Lebanon because they treat Westerners with respect.
Currently Israel is the safest as long as one stays out of the West Bank (primarily Ramallah and Hebron) and Jerusalem (Old City) on Friday afternoons. Jordan is fine as long as one stays away from the North where all the Syrian refugees are kept. Lebanon used to be nice before 2015, but since early 2016 numerous Arab countries have banned their citizens from going there.

Old 01-21-2018, 08:41 PM

7,680 posts, read 16,098,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Lebanon used to be nice before 2015, but since early 2016 numerous Arab countries have banned their citizens from going there.

Which is essentially about regional politics rather than about the safety (or lack thereof) of the place.

In many ways, Lebanon is a fragile place, but now seems to be a relatively calm time there despite the political kerfluffles.

Old 01-22-2018, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Which is essentially about regional politics rather than about the safety (or lack thereof) of the place.

In many ways, Lebanon is a fragile place, but now seems to be a relatively calm time there despite the political kerfluffles.
As Hezbollah get's more control over the country, the concern for safety becomes an issue. I've been to Beirut numerous times, but when a few Arab countries put out travel bans I take theirs seriously.

Old 01-22-2018, 02:42 PM

9,519 posts, read 13,442,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
I am debating travel to the Middle East in the next 1 or 2 year.

I have already visited a few countries in North Africa so not looking to do that.

Obviously not going anywhere with an active war going on so Syria is out. Not interested in visiting Isreal as too much drama ove the tiny bit of land.

Anyone have any suggestions on best places to visit in regards to things to see and do?

P.s. I am a women. I would be travelling with my husband and child.

Thanks in advance : )!
Israel is my most favorite place in the world. Don't dismiss it b/c of drama. It's beautiful there.

Old 01-22-2018, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Reconsider Israel. Safest, most amazing place in Middle East. Packed with history, culture, geographical variety. Women can travel safely there. It feels a lot like Europe. Ignore the anti-Israel hype. Just go. You won't regret it!
Agree!

Old 01-22-2018, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
My stance on not going there is very high.
I am not religious.
I not like the vibe.
I am incredibly non-religious and I went. My dad is jewish and my mom is catholic but I wasn't raised religious so I consider myself atheist/agnostic/non-religious... again, I would re-consider but you're free to do what you like.

I want to get back to Israel at some point. I felt safer in Israel than I do here everyday in New York City. Something to think about...

Old 01-22-2018, 05:54 PM

5,934 posts, read 2,888,852 times
I'm not religious, and to be honest Israel didn't do much for me. Overpriced and mediocre. Best thing was lots of hot chicks in uniforms with guns, although my wife didn't share that appreciation.

To each their own, some people love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel