U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 07:47 AM

8,197 posts, read 11,915,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
My friend got a very expensive flight diversion flying from Las Vegas to Aruba over New Years. Despite scheduling a four hour layover in Fort Lauderdale on Jet Blue, the plane was diverted to Orlando because of fog. He arrived in FLL about 6 hours later than he was scheduled, and was forced to spend the night in an expensive crappy hotel and miss a day in Aruba.

I suggested that it may make sense to plan future vacations around nonstop flights. If he wants to be warm, he could fly nonstop 6.5-7 hours to Panama City. It is also a 5 hour drive from Guadalajara to Puerto Vallarta, but in the middle of winter that may not be hot, but probably just warm.

Do you think that is crazy to build vacation plans around nonstop airport routes. Does anyone else do that?
Yes, I think it is crazy because you eliminate so many worthwhile places to visit around the world that you can't get to via a nonstop flight. I'm flying to Singapore from Miami in a couple of weeks and I have to change planes at SFO. I'm flying back from Hong Kong and I have to go through Newark. It would be crazy not to visit Southeast Asia just because I can't get there on one flight.

As for what might happen if I miss my connection, well that's what travel insurance is for. (Actually, I'm doubly covered because my credit card also includes trip delay coverage as one of its benefits.)

So instead of suggesting to your friend that he eliminates traveling to any and all places in the world that requires a connecting flight, just recommend that he either purchases trip insurance or acquires a credit card that includes travel insurance as a benefit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2018, 10:03 AM

13,106 posts, read 24,892,675 times
I try as much as possible to fly non stop, with Newark, Kennedy and Laguardia for the most part I can. If I had a burning desire to go some where that could not be done non stop I plan accordingly, such as time to get from one gate to another, then hope there are no delays on first flight. For cruises even on a non stop I always fly to port the day before

Old 01-30-2018, 10:15 AM

1,806 posts, read 807,260 times
It’s perfectly reasonable for a short vacation, let’s say less than ten days.

Yes you’ll miss many worthwhile destinations. But unless you are extremely well travelled, there are still countless great places to go near your nonstop flights destinations.

Old 01-30-2018, 10:15 AM

5,539 posts, read 9,942,730 times
Quote:
The same friend booked an air-miles flight from Europe back to Vegas.

He has an 11:20 flight from Europe to California that lands him at 11:20 am, and the connecting flights for the 99 minute flight home are at:
(1) 12:50pm (80 minute layover)
(2) 4:30pm (5:10 layover)
(3) 6:24pm (7:04 layover)

The airline booked him for the 7 hour layover. Since there are three other airlines that fly the same 99 minute flight he is tempted to take a one way flight home and pick up his luggage later.

Perhaps I am paranoid, but I'm afraid the DHS will flag the double booking and at the very lease blow up his luggage.
An 80 minute layover at LAX with a trip through customs may be cutting it really close, especially if going to a different airline and rechecking baggage.

Old 01-30-2018, 01:10 PM

2,289 posts, read 3,934,687 times
Quote:
The airline booked him for the 7 hour layover. Since there are three other airlines that fly the same 99 minute flight he is tempted to take a one way flight home and pick up his luggage later.

Perhaps I am paranoid, but I'm afraid the DHS will flag the double booking and at the very lease blow up his luggage.
Givrn that it’s an award flight the most likely reason for booking him so much later is that there were no award seats available on the first two flights you listed (or the earlier flights are with another alliance). That said, depending on where he lands (LAX?) and at what time, an 80-minute scheduled connection can be pretty tight if he needs to go through customs and baggage re-check.

The DHS won’t flag the double booking, but his luggage won’t make the final leg if he doesn’t board that plane. In addition, if he buys a separate ticket for the 12:50 flight and his incoming TATL flight his late, he will lose his money.

Old 01-30-2018, 01:39 PM

9,866 posts, read 10,122,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
In addition, if he buys a separate ticket for the 12:50 flight and his incoming TATL flight his late, he will lose his money.
He would probably purchase a walk up tick on a low cost carrier like Frontier or Southwest. That way if the flight from Europe is late he isn't throwing away a second ticket.

Quote:
The DHS wonít flag the double booking,
I was just speculating. Do you know that for sure?

Quote:
... but his luggage wonít make the final leg if he doesnít board that plane.
I think this is the most important part of the question. It won't do him any good to fly home early if he has to fly back to SFO to get his luggage, or DHS blows it up. I doubt that getting home a few hours early is worth losing his luggage.

As I am sure that many people don't board flights, do they really take the luggage off the plane? I am sure the hypothetical answer is "luggage should not fly without the passenger", but what is the reality of everyday operations.

Old 02-01-2018, 08:52 AM

5,672 posts, read 3,647,750 times
I think most would agree that, in general, nonstop is better than connecting. But it really depends on why you've chosen the particular destination that you have. If you have your heart set on seeing the Empire State Building, you're going to want to fly to New York, even if you have to change planes. Flying nonstop to Las Vegas (which has a replica of the ESB, I believe) just wouldn't be the same.

But if you just want to lie on a beach, and you don't care which one, then I would think it would make sense to choose nonstop destinations when possible.

Old 02-01-2018, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I think most would agree that, in general, nonstop is better than connecting. But it really depends on why you've chosen the particular destination that you have. If you have your heart set on seeing the Empire State Building, you're going to want to fly to New York, even if you have to change planes. Flying nonstop to Las Vegas (which has a replica of the ESB, I believe) just wouldn't be the same.

But if you just want to lie on a beach, and you don't care which one, then I would think it would make sense to choose nonstop destinations when possible.
Iím looking for a great resort near the beach with great weather...not that easy to find based on my location.

Old 02-01-2018, 07:35 PM

4,415 posts, read 1,673,386 times
From Chicago, other than Europe and North America, there are non-stop flights to exactly seven countries: Brazil, Israel, India, China, Japan, Korea, Taiwan. Go ahead and refuse to make a connection, but if you want to go anywhere else, forget it. Thailand, Egypt, Australia, Chile, , Africa? Nope. Can't go there.

Lived in Phoenix? Now your choices are Mexico, Costa Rica, London.

Old 02-01-2018, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
From Chicago, other than Europe and North America, there are non-stop flights to exactly seven countries: Brazil, Israel, India, China, Japan, Korea, Taiwan. Go ahead and refuse to make a connection, but if you want to go anywhere else, forget it. Thailand, Egypt, Australia, Chile, , Africa? Nope. Can't go there.

Lived in Phoenix? Now your choices are Mexico, Costa Rica, London.
There are plenty of places to visit in North America and Europe!

Beaches: Mexico, Caribbean, Florida, Hawaii
Culture and food: Europe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or