U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 01:41 AM

4,494 posts, read 1,712,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
There are plenty of places to visit in North America and Europe!

Beaches: Mexico, Caribbean, Florida, Hawaii
Culture and food: Europe
There are "plenty of places to visit" in your own state. How many of your state's counties have you been in? Why endure flying at all?

There are plenty of people who are not content with just those options. People content with just those options are the ones who come on other threads and tell us how awful Asia and Africa and South America are. But they have never been there, for a variety of reasons, maybe unwillingness to huff their carryon through a connecting concourse as a part of a 3-week expedition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2018, 11:24 AM

1,811 posts, read 815,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
There are "plenty of places to visit" in your own state. How many of your state's counties have you been in? Why endure flying at all?

There are plenty of people who are not content with just those options. People content with just those options are the ones who come on other threads and tell us how awful Asia and Africa and South America are. But they have never been there, for a variety of reasons, maybe unwillingness to huff their carryon through a connecting concourse as a part of a 3-week expedition.
Most travelers haven't explored their nonstop destinations yet. The seven countries you mentioned plus North America(including Mexico?) and Europe are massive and very diverse. Japan is worth more than a week, and China being as large as USA deserves a whole month. Brazil is a huge diverse destination in South America.

The only continent left is Africa. However, if OP really wants to explore Africa, he won't mind making a stop. But for a short vacation(less than 2 weeks), it's not imperative to be too adventurous.

On the other hand, if OP has a month to travel, unexpected flight delay is probably going to be a negligible factor in consideration.

Old 02-02-2018, 11:31 AM

1,811 posts, read 815,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post

By the way, people have to be realistic. Third world countries are, by definition, awful in many ways.

I do travel to third world countries, but I know what to expect. I really can't tell people all these countries are wonderful and everybody will like it. In fact, the only place worth visiting in Thailand is Phuket and its vicinity. Treat yourself by booking a luxury resort with private beach, and enjoy your vacation!

Old 02-02-2018, 04:54 PM

4,494 posts, read 1,712,631 times
Quote:
By the way, people have to be realistic. Third world countries are, by definition, awful in many ways.

I do travel to third world countries, but I know what to expect. I really can't tell people all these countries are wonderful and everybody will like it. In fact, the only place worth visiting in Thailand is Phuket and its vicinity. Treat yourself by booking a luxury resort with private beach, and enjoy your vacation!
Some people travel to see what the world is like. Some people travel to lie on a gated beach. Yes, you can always find a non-stop flight to a gated beach.

In my view, a "luxury resort with private beach" is "by definition, awful in many ways." So try to be realistic.

Old 02-02-2018, 08:19 PM

9,036 posts, read 8,455,286 times
Quote:
Recheck the definition. The original definition was that thrird world countries were not aligned with either the USA (those are first world countries) or the USSR (those are second world).

Therefore Switzerland is a third world country.

Pedantic digression over. Getting back to the OP, I prefer to have the flexibility of traveling anywhere, and I will willingly add a bit of time and complexity in order to allow this.

Old 02-03-2018, 04:26 AM

9,908 posts, read 10,156,815 times
Quote:
Brazilian Low Cost Carrier Gol To Fly Nonstop To The US
Brazilian media is reporting that Gol will begin flying between Brazil and the US as of November 4, 2018. Specifically, the airline will fly from both Brasilia and Fortaleza to both Miami and Orlando.
The nonstop flight from Brasilia to Orlando is 3,283 nautical miles, which will set a new record distance for a route serviced by a B737. Delta flew the route with a B757 in the summer of 2015.

Las Vegas currently serves two cities at longest possible range with B737s
LAS-HNL 2,401 nm Honolulu
LAS-PTY 2,535 nm Panama City, Panama

Maybe the new generation of B737s with an extra 500 nautical miles of range will ameliorate the problem. For instance from Las Vegas the distances to airports in the Caribbean
LAS-SJU 2,798 nm San Juan
LAS-AUA 2,814 nm Aruba
So there is a very faint possibility that a nonstop could develop Las Vegas to Aruba, but it seems unlikely. A flight to San Juan would be much more likely.

Aruba currently has nonstop flights to the following USA destinations
  1. MIA 985 nm
  2. FLL 994 nm
  3. CLT 1,483 nm
  4. ATL 1,491 nm
  5. IAD 1,632 nm
  6. BWI 1,635 nm
  7. PHL 1,661 nm
  8. JFK 1,696 nm
  9. EWR 1,701 nm
  10. HOU 1,742 nm
  11. IAH 1,756 nm
  12. BOS 1,788 nm
  13. ORD 1,998 nm
  14. MSP 2,275 nm
Obviously, even if new long range B737s and A321s increase the number of non-stop destinations, it will still be a tiny fraction of the connecting destinations

Old 02-06-2018, 10:34 AM

14,022 posts, read 7,477,867 times
For Europe, I always take the Boston-Heathrow morning flight to avoid the red eye. I continue on my way the next day after dinner and a nights sleep in a real bed. I take a nonstop home if it’s possible. I’m doing Lisbon that way in May.

Old 02-06-2018, 12:30 PM

7,116 posts, read 3,480,413 times
When we worked and owned a business, vacation time was tough to come by. We ONLY did non-stops as most of our vacations were 3 or 4 day weekends.

Luckily we lived in DC Metro and able to use National, Dulles and BWI. We flew to Europe more than once, leaving after work on Thursday and returning on Monday late.

We were a LOT younger then!

Old 02-06-2018, 04:09 PM

8,232 posts, read 11,945,459 times
Quote:

I'm sorry, but that is simply ridiculous. Even if you don't care about the culture, nightlife, and plain excitement of Bangkok and just want to relax on a beautiful island, I would still take Koh Samui over Phuket.

Old 02-06-2018, 07:16 PM

7,335 posts, read 4,188,364 times
If I had to limit myself to nonstop flights, I'd run out of interesting vacation spots VERY quickly. Not everyone lives within reasonable driving distance of a major airport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or