U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-09-2018, 12:46 PM
 
9,917 posts, read 10,167,696 times
Reputation: 5317

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Just to show how restrictive this is, there are nonstop flights from Los Angeles to only 13 European countries, Atlanta only nine
I realize that it is extremely limiting. I am specifically asking about short vacations. Back to the Vegas example, there is really one nonstop destination that qualifies as sort of a beach destination. Panama City is probably an hour drive to a beach resort. Guadalajara Mexico is probably 4 hours to Puerto Vallarta. São Paulo is one of the largest urban areas in the Americas, and I imagine you have to go a long way to find a good beach resort.
  1. Panama City (Panama): Copa Airlines
  2. Mexico City: Aeroméxico / VivaAerobus/ Volaris / Interjet
  3. Guadalajara: Volaris / Interjet
  4. São Paulo–Guarulhos (begins June 21, 2018): LATAM Brasil ( Seasonal )

Given a choice would you take a 12-13 hour flight with a layover where you run the risk of losing a day for 4-5 day vacation, or would you restrict yourself to flying 6-7 hours nonstop and reduce your options to basically one place.

There is no right or wrong answer, it's a poll. Your answer can include caveats, like a choice of one is too limiting, but if I had 5 choices then I would restrict myself
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-09-2018, 06:24 PM
 
Location: Cebu, Philippines
4,521 posts, read 1,722,181 times
Reputation: 8367
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post

There is no right or wrong answer, it's a poll. Your answer can include caveats, like a choice of one is too limiting, but if I had 5 choices then I would restrict myself
In your original OP, you asked

Quote:
Do you think that is crazy to build vacation plans around nonstop airport routes.
My answer was Yes. I cannot imagine myself beginning my travel plans by reducing destinations to places that have nonstop flights. Even if I lived across the street from JFK, that would be out of the question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2018, 07:49 PM
 
Location: On the road
6,025 posts, read 2,926,686 times
Reputation: 11607
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
In fact, the only place worth visiting in Thailand is Phuket and its vicinity.
I just threw up in my mouth. I pity you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2018, 09:12 PM
 
9,917 posts, read 10,167,696 times
Reputation: 5317
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
My answer was Yes. I cannot imagine myself beginning my travel plans by reducing destinations to places that have nonstop flights. Even if I lived across the street from JFK, that would be out of the question.
Thank you for voting. It seems as if the majority agrees with you

A nonstop flight from Vegas to Beijing China that began December 2016 is approximately 13 hours westbound and 12 hours eastbound. To devote the same amount of flying time to get to the tiny island of Aruba for a few days seems crazy to me, even without the flight diversion that cost an entire day. Personally, I would find just as much satisfaction in Panama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2018, 05:18 PM
 
Location: Cebu, Philippines
4,521 posts, read 1,722,181 times
Reputation: 8367
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Thank you for voting. It seems as if the majority agrees with you

A nonstop flight from Vegas to Beijing China that began December 2016 is approximately 13 hours westbound and 12 hours eastbound. To devote the same amount of flying time to get to the tiny island of Aruba for a few days seems crazy to me, even without the flight diversion that cost an entire day. Personally, I would find just as much satisfaction in Panama.
I bet the fare to Aruba is higher than to Beijing too, right?

edit -- well, I was close. Aruba $414, Beijing $436 with stops, $538 non-stop.

Last edited by cebuan; 02-10-2018 at 05:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2018, 05:31 PM
 
Location: Cebu, Philippines
4,521 posts, read 1,722,181 times
Reputation: 8367
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
I just threw up in my mouth. I pity you.
Me too. Normally, I hate and avoid big cities, but Thailand is a unique exception. Bangkok is the nicest and friendliest and most honest place in Thailand. I actually look forward to stopovers in BKK. Wherever Im going, I buy separete tickets, XXX-BKK and BKK-YYY. It's often cheaper than the quoted fare XXX-YYY., and I've really bonded with my hotel near the airport in BKK (Floral Shire), cheap and nice on a cul-de-sac with free shuttle both ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2018, 10:37 PM
 
9,917 posts, read 10,167,696 times
Reputation: 5317
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
I bet the fare to Aruba is higher than to Beijing too, right?
I am not really sure how Aruba got a US pre-clearance facility along with two in the Bahamas and one in Bermuda. For tourism a pre-clearance facility is incredibly valuable. I know that they are considering one in Punta Cana Airport, Dominican Republic and another in Princess Juliana International Airport (SXM) in St. Maarten.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2018, 10:56 PM
 
Location: Tulsa
1,813 posts, read 818,087 times
Reputation: 1861
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Me too. Normally, I hate and avoid big cities, but Thailand is a unique exception. Bangkok is the nicest and friendliest and most honest place in Thailand. I actually look forward to stopovers in BKK. Wherever Im going, I buy separete tickets, XXX-BKK and BKK-YYY. It's often cheaper than the quoted fare XXX-YYY., and I've really bonded with my hotel near the airport in BKK (Floral Shire), cheap and nice on a cul-de-sac with free shuttle both ways.
You can often find cheaper domestic airfares if you are willing to fly DMK.

https://www.travelfish.org/transport...kok/bangkok/56

Bangkok isn't bad for a developed world city, but really, it's not that honest. A lot of tourist scams, taxi, tuk tuk, etc. It's no secret that they charge gringo price if you are a foreigner.

However, the worst thing that could happen to you in Thailand is being ripped off financially. At least you don't have to worry about personal safety unlike in Paris, France.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2018, 11:08 PM
 
Location: Tulsa
1,813 posts, read 818,087 times
Reputation: 1861
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Thank you for voting. It seems as if the majority agrees with you

A nonstop flight from Vegas to Beijing China that began December 2016 is approximately 13 hours westbound and 12 hours eastbound. To devote the same amount of flying time to get to the tiny island of Aruba for a few days seems crazy to me, even without the flight diversion that cost an entire day. Personally, I would find just as much satisfaction in Panama.

Flying 13 hours is a real torture.

I lived in Beijing between 1998 and 2002. Except for the pollution, I think it's definitely better than Bangkok, at least scams are rarer. However, Beijing isn't a tourist destination. Why would someone want to vacation in Beijing? scuba diving? beach? tropical weather?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2018, 11:30 PM
 
Location: Cebu, Philippines
4,521 posts, read 1,722,181 times
Reputation: 8367
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
Flying 13 hours is a real torture.

I lived in Beijing between 1998 and 2002. Except for the pollution, I think it's definitely better than Bangkok, at least scams are rarer. However, Beijing isn't a tourist destination. Why would someone want to vacation in Beijing? scuba diving? beach? tropical weather?
I always just assume that a foreign traveler is a scam magnet wherever he goes, and I don't judge places by the incidence of scams. But all over Thailand, I find that the Thais love to lie to travelers, just for the fun of it, with nothing to gain.

I would vacation in Beijing to know from personal experience what Beijing and China are like. Diving and beaches would just get in the way and spoil the view and expose me to no in-country social experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top