U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2018, 06:45 AM

71,515 posts, read 71,694,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
IMO all this worry beads about being fined by the US Treasury Dept for going to the beach in Cuba is just silly. Treasury Dept guidelines are quite vague:

"The traveler’s schedule of activities must not include free time or recreation in excess of that consistent with a full-time schedule in Cuba"

That is exceedingly vague, and I find it hard to believe some pictures of you lounging on the beach constitute proof that the purpose of your trip was tourism. There is a big difference between having a purpose for your visit and doing things with your time off.

They have been getting a ton of American tourists, have any of these tourists been fined by US Treasury Dept for having too many beach pictures or not having a proper journal when their destination was supposed to be one of those broad categories? Hell you could just make up a journal if asked, "went to lecture on Havana development" what is someone from Treasury going to try to track down whether that existed in Cuba on that date? Impossible. Who exactly has been enforcing this, US Customs?
it is not a good idea to find out who knows what about you . we had no worries when we were there and went off on our own but we were warned to document our time .

but i would still stay away from questionable activity . that is not a country to test limits with or their ability to extort you . all it takes is a cuban custom agent to threaten turning your pictures over to the treasury dept and opening up a can of worms for you to defend against unless you give him a few bucks .

why look for trouble , it makes no sense to test the limits .

the treasury dept when asked , said they can't comment on the number of actual individuals fined .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2018, 06:47 AM

1,829 posts, read 2,734,771 times
I went to St. Kitts-Nevis in November. I had been to Grand Cayman in the past, so I wanted to try a different place. St. Kitts wasn't very touristy except for the day that the cruise ship came in. I also didn't find it as being too built up yet. It was a nice little island, easy to navigate. The water was beautiful. I would go back again someday.

Old 02-03-2018, 08:59 AM

5,934 posts, read 2,888,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
but i would still stay away from questionable activity . that is not a country to test limits with or their ability to extort you . all it takes is a cuban custom agent to threaten turning your pictures over to the treasury dept and opening up a can of worms for you to defend against unless you give him a few bucks.

why look for trouble , it makes no sense to test the limits
Questionable activity = going to the beach?

You are really worried that a Cuban customs agent is going to go through your phone, find some pictures of you enjoying yourself on the beach, then extort you with threats to somehow contact the US Treasury Department? How do you picture that going down, this random low paid customs guy in Cuba has the 1-800 number for a tip line and gives them your name? "Hello this is Juan, I'd like to report that Mr. Mathjak has picture of him on the beach here in Cuba, I'm pretty sure he has a margarita in his hand as well." The Treasury Department, which always complains about being understaffed, is going to assign a caseworker to try to figure out if mathjak's time on the beach was enough to pass the "excessive" gray area and initiate an investigation and issue some subpoenas to get your beach pictures.

Sorry but that is ridiculous. There is such a thing as testing limits, but going to the beach while you're in Cuba isn't it.

Quote:
the treasury dept when asked , said they can't comment on the number of actual individuals fined .
Can you point me to where you got this information, like who asked them? Every search I've done comes up with similar information, that the last time a tourist was fined for a Cuba visit was 2008, and that was at a time when legal ways to go were much tighter and tourism for Americans from USA was nonexistent.

Enforcement would be by OFAC and they publish their fines here: https://www.treasury.gov/resource-ce...en-index2.aspx

Every one of those is a business, not individual tourists.

Old 02-03-2018, 10:29 AM

708 posts, read 776,892 times
This isn’t something to argue about. There are those who will travel however they want and will never have it come back on them. Then there are those who will think the rules don’t apply and will end up with crying family on TV begging for government intervention, Go Fund Me pages, and maybe even a spotlight on Locked Up Abroad.

lieqiang, whenever you go to Cuba, go ahead and do whatever you believe is right for you.

Old 02-03-2018, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Questionable activity = going to the beach?

can you point me to where you got this information, like who asked them? Every search I've done comes up with similar information, that the last time a tourist was fined for a Cuba visit was 2008, and that was at a time when legal ways to go were much tighter and tourism for Americans from USA was nonexistent.

Enforcement would be by OFAC and they publish their fines here: https://www.treasury.gov/resource-ce...en-index2.aspx

Every one of those is a business, not individual tourists.
huffington

"OFAC will enforce its sanctions and potential sanctions violations as they always have,” a Treasury Department spokesperson told The Huffington Post.

It remains to be seen, however, how rigorously the government will crack down on illegal travel to the island.

Last year, OFAC published on its website only one violation of the restrictions on Cuba that mentioned personal travel specifically — a penalty of $89,775 against Red Bull North America, Inc., issued to settle a dispute over seven violations stemming from the filming of a documentary on the island without authorization in 2009.

It wasn’t clear, however, whether the agency’s website listed all violations of the Cuba travel restrictions pursued by OFAC. The Treasury Department spokesperson told HuffPost that the agency cannot discuss cases of violations."

Old 02-03-2018, 11:39 AM

13,886 posts, read 25,316,043 times
I think the Cuba idea is great. In a few years it will be just like everywhere else. Go now before it gets homogenized!

Old 02-03-2018, 12:50 PM

mangomadness is right, everyone needs to do what they're comfortable with. I just find it hilarious how much fear people have of something like going to the beach in Cuba because of the possibility some low paid Cuban customs agent is going to contact the US Treasury Department to try to get you in trouble. Then there are people getting fined, but we're going to assume the agency that publishes lists of the fines isn't listing them and we can't actually find an instance of a tourist who was fined.

Next thing you know people will be not reporting minor gambling winnings from table games in Vegas to US Treasury, or a profit from stuff they sell on Craigslist. It'll be anarchy!

Old 02-03-2018, 01:31 PM

pay pal just sent out a bunch of 1099's to people selling personal stuff through paypal who are way way below the number of transactions and dollars that were supposed to be reported . so yeah , you never know

i abide by the rules i agree to , especially when i go to foreign countries . there is no reason not to or i just wouldn't go . the last thing i would want to do in cuba is lay on a beach in that scorching tropical sun . . i got sun poisoning in the virgin islands decades ago and i avoid the beaches in tropical climates .

Old 02-03-2018, 04:24 PM

Quote:
i abide by the rules i agree to
So if you won $20 in Vegas you'd declare it as income to the IRS? You've never exceeded the speed limit? Anything in a garage sale sold for a profit was reported?

Quote:
the last thing i would want to do in cuba is lay on a beach in that scorching tropical sun . . i got sun poisoning in the virgin islands decades ago and i avoid the beaches in tropical climates .
I hear you man, I'm not a beach person either. I'm not questioning the wisdom of laying in the sun, I'm just a wee bit amused with the scenario you constructed where the customs guy in Cuba can call the Treasury Department.

Is it still illegal to have their cigars? I don't smoke so couldn't care less, but I remember some controversy when Arnie had one while governor of CA.

Old 02-03-2018, 04:28 PM

I pick and choose the rules or laws i may care to break. But what i never do is do anything i shouldn't in a communist dictatorship
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or