Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 03:34 AM

106,653 posts, read 108,790,719 times

Advertisements

they look okay but anything you do on your own document what you did and the times . we share our photo's from our photography website all the time .we even sell them or the files
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2018, 04:02 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,669,482 times
Okay thank you! I may even just avoid the beach then and walk the Malecon, perhaps more unique and seems a little more easy to call "educational".

Old 02-02-2018, 04:07 AM

106,653 posts, read 108,790,719 times
yes , do not do the beach . you never know who is watching and taking photo's of you for extortion .

Old 02-02-2018, 06:11 AM

715 posts, read 1,073,681 times
Like mathjak107 stated, you need to go under one of the allowed reasons and no, it’s not a vacation. I went on tours and had a planned itinerary. For a half day, we wandered on our own with a plan to visit a couple of museums. We went before the changes took affect under the “People to People” category. Even then, we did not go to the beach. Americans aren’t allowed on the beaches. There were stories of people having their cameras randomly checked and getting into trouble for being on the beach. My friend’s co-worker being one. I personally was not interested in the beach anyway since I was looking to experience the culture of Cuba. I don’t think of beaches when I think of Cuba. Apparently the best beaches are far out in another resort area (Veradero) that many Europeans frequent anyway. The local people can’t go there.

Anyway, that’s why I stated before to do your research before going there because it’s not like traveling to other places in the Caribbean. It’s not a beach vacation. You can still have a great trip with the right knowledge and mindset.

Old 02-02-2018, 03:20 PM

2,913 posts, read 2,443,100 times
Just got back from visiting Havana a few days ago, and I agree with all the other comments on this city. My G/F and I spent several days there, and we both really loved it. The architecture alone is worth a visit, and the beautiful squares all remind me of European cities. Definitely go soon though, I'm sure it won't be long before it becomes more commercialized. And yes, bring enough cash to exchange as credit cards are not excepted anywhere.

Old 02-02-2018, 04:48 PM

2,495 posts, read 1,870,982 times
Ecuador. Start out in Quito for the strolling and sights. Then go to Banos for the hiking, etc. Take a motorized canoe ride to an Amazon ecolodge and explore the jungle.

Old 02-03-2018, 04:53 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,572,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamary1 View Post
Ecuador. Start out in Quito for the strolling and sights. Then go to Banos for the hiking, etc. Take a motorized canoe ride to an Amazon ecolodge and explore the jungle.
???

Ecuador is at least 500 miles from the Caribbean, it's on the west coast of South America so all it's beaches are on the Pacific Ocean.

Old 02-03-2018, 05:38 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,572,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
yes , americans can only go to cuba for the reasons listed on the visa application .

it is the us treasury dept of asset control that fines you 10k for just vacationing if you are caught .
only the following reasons are valid

Family visits.
Official government business.
Journalism.
Professional research and meetings.
Educational activities.
Religious activities.
Public performances, clinics, workshops, exhibitions and athletic competitions.
“Support for the Cuban people.”
Humanitarian projects.
Activities of private foundations or research for educational institutes.
Exporting or importing information or “information materials.”
Travel related to some authorized export transactions
IMO all this worry beads about being fined by the US Treasury Dept for going to the beach in Cuba is just silly. Treasury Dept guidelines are quite vague:

"The traveler’s schedule of activities must not include free time or recreation in excess of that consistent with a full-time schedule in Cuba"

That is exceedingly vague, and I find it hard to believe some pictures of you lounging on the beach constitute proof that the purpose of your trip was tourism. There is a big difference between having a purpose for your visit and doing things with your time off.

They have been getting a ton of American tourists, have any of these tourists been fined by US Treasury Dept for having too many beach pictures or not having a proper journal when their destination was supposed to be one of those broad categories? Hell you could just make up a journal if asked, "went to lecture on Havana development" what is someone from Treasury going to try to track down whether that existed in Cuba on that date? Impossible. Who exactly has been enforcing this, US Customs?

Old 02-03-2018, 06:40 AM

2,427 posts, read 3,565,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
we went to Havana. it was fabulous
Are Americans allowed to go to Cuba now? When I was recently in Miami airport, I noticed that there were flights to Havana. Out of curiosity, I went online to see how much it would cost to fly there and there wasn't an option to pick a flight there.

Old 02-03-2018, 06:44 AM

2,427 posts, read 3,565,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarragon View Post
Are Americans allowed to go to Cuba now? When I was recently in Miami airport, I noticed that there were flights to Havana. Out of curiosity, I went online to see how much it would cost to fly there and there wasn't an option to pick a flight there.
Just found the answer to my question from Mathjak107! I still didn't see any options to select a flight to there. Which airlines go there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel