U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 01:46 PM

2,982 posts, read 2,712,671 times

Advertisements

If you are going to be renting a car when you are there, I would also look at flying into/out of San Diego.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2018, 01:55 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,696 posts, read 40,074,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asonnier View Post
$137 is for one way there and I know that's a good price.. That's why I posted the question and asked if anyone had bought a one way ticket and waited to purchase the return ticket. I'd rather get a great price flying home too, instead of 350-400$ Thank you!
Check other (nearby) routes home. I usually book one-ways on SWA and change them often.

SNA is a very convenient airport and cars are often quite inexpensive and very fast to pick up (no need for shuttle, cars are just outside terminal)

You can sometimes rent and drop at another regional LA centric airport without fees. (Or use Caltran between airports) I have found San Diego to be cheap for my departures (to SAT). Another option... SWA has a $40 fare from LAX to LAS (Vegas) and then find a bargain flight home from there... maybe on Spirit

SWA had a great booking feature a few months ago where you could pull up a route map and mouse over destinations and it would show the lowest price!!! that was too good / ez to be true, so it disappeared from their website after about a month. Was called "Fare by Map". Now they don't even recall it existed.

Old 01-23-2018, 02:09 PM

497 posts, read 1,301,128 times
The route from San Diego up to Newport Beach area looks very nice. It looks like it's a coastal ride the whole day. How would that route be as far as traffic in the summer months? We plan to get a morning flight to arrive around lunch time: noon or 1pm.

Old 01-23-2018, 04:11 PM

119 posts, read 309,480 times
You can also check Long Beach Airport. Still pretty close to Newport Beach.

San Diego to Newport Beach: You are on the 5 freeway most of the way... In Dana Point, you can get off and travel on Pacific Coast Highway(PCH). Summertime(or anytime really), PCH can be stop and go especially through Laguna Beach. It's probably about a 2 hour trip.

Old 01-23-2018, 07:30 PM

7,002 posts, read 3,891,288 times
It looks like you're best off keeping with Orange County and booking the return now at $137. Disneyland is just a few minutes away and in July will draw lots of people to that airport. In April the best fare is $99 so I wouldn't expect much better for busy July than what you see now.

Old 01-23-2018, 07:43 PM

7,002 posts, read 3,891,288 times
Also, Spirit has roundtrips, some with nonstops, from $200 to LAX and $180 and up to San Diego.

Old 01-30-2018, 12:20 PM

497 posts, read 1,301,128 times
Thanks all.
I booked with Southwest this weekend.
We are flying out for the 137$ each. Was able to use points to book 3 tickets one way. Southwest added a return non-stop trip back at a good time for us for 247$. So I got 3 tickets into John Wayne airport and paid only $750 for all of us. I think I got a good deal! Now I just need to book a car.

We are staying in a house, walkable to beach, in Newport Beach

On my list for things to do so far are:

Laguna Beach
Fashion Island
The Wedge
Huntington Pier and surrounding area
Ruby's Diner
Orange Coast Winery

Hubby and I are 50 and are bringing our 18 year old son.

If you have any other must sees or must do's would you please share them?

Thanks so much!

Old 01-30-2018, 01:29 PM

3,665 posts, read 6,497,814 times
In Newport, we have done a whale/dolphin watch boat tour, it was really cool and got to see lots of both!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel