U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 11:31 AM

994 posts, read 598,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
For 6 days...
Consider the 'Other options' (outside of big cities) and just do an intensive Day in each big city (starting pre-dawn to avoid transit crowds, lasting well past dark) You can get in a LOT of city sites (monuments / parks / Piers / farmers markets / street markets, before the 'building / gated events' open, and after they close.

Take night trains between cities so you do not burn daylight traveling.

Italy has many great venues and terrain / activities / history / coastal cities and good infrastructure.

Lisbon was not my favorite and quite crowded too. Portugal is pretty spread out to see much of it, but there is plenty to see.

I would determine the interests / objectives of those attending, but if kids above age 18, they may have Italy expectations and be disappointed in Portugal (which deserves more time to imbed into local culture, villages, and people).

Where-ever you go... do your research and set your plans up front, cuz 6 days will go by very quickly. .
Thank you. Any list of pros/cons about Barcelona?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2018, 11:54 AM

318 posts, read 159,677 times
I would do Barcelona. We were there in October 2015 for 5 days and loved it (we also did 5 days in Paris and 5 days in London). We stayed in the city and walked or rode the subway to most of the sites. We did a one day trip to the abbey in Montserrat to see the famous Madonna and Child. The food is wonderful in Barcelona (also the wine!). We stayed in the Mirror Hotel which had an awesome breakfast in the morning before we would set off for the day. The Segrada Familia, Park Guell, the Gothic Quarter, La Ramblas (touristy, but you have to see the food in La Boqueria),
the Picasso Museum, all the churches and there is the beach there too.

Old 01-23-2018, 12:08 PM

17,306 posts, read 19,577,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
Italy: 4 days-Rome/2 days-Florence
This is what I would do. There is more to see in Rome than Florence, but both are nice.

Old 01-23-2018, 12:25 PM

Is the heat unbearable in Rome and Florence in July? Are the businesses generally open? I've heard sometimes in the summer things close.

Old 01-23-2018, 12:44 PM

2,143 posts, read 3,562,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
Is the heat unbearable in Rome and Florence in July? Are the businesses generally open? I've heard sometimes in the summer things close.
90 degrees, if you can buy tickets in advance, go that route so you won't have to wait out in the sun. Truthfully if you can push your trip back to late August/early September, its probably better price wise and weather wise.

Old 01-23-2018, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomRep View Post
90 degrees, if you can buy tickets in advance, go that route so you won't have to wait out in the sun. Truthfully if you can push your trip back to late August/early September, its probably better price wise and weather wise.
Unfortunately, we have a very narrow window in mid July to work with, but thanks.

Old 01-23-2018, 01:33 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,652 posts, read 40,020,325 times
Quote:
Pick pockets... keep copies of your documents / and keep your wallets INSIDE your clothing

Tapas... your crew will enjoy bar / pub hopping during the whole evening and trying different Tapas
Be prepared for LONG evenings in Barcelona (a city that doesn't sleep at night). Many Cafes will not even open till 10PM
Pick out the tourist sites and hit them early, then go to public spaces during midday.

I often go to cities on Sunday for less crowds (especially when driving / parking) (but check to see your choice of Venues is open on Sunday.)

When living in Barcelona I learned the hard way that all the locals leave town on weekends and it is impossible to drive home on Sunday evening (Huge traffic jams for many km)... After that experience I arranged to return home on Monday mornings, just in time for work.

Old 01-23-2018, 03:02 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,193,111 times
If you chose Italy make sure you get museum/Coliseum/Vatican tickets in advance. You can waste hours standing in line. There's a very efficient train between Rome and Florence.

Old 01-23-2018, 04:37 PM

9,221 posts, read 9,289,216 times
Quote:
Pro's:

Much to see.

La Jolla East gave you an excellent list of things to see there. I think the cathedral Sagrada Familia is the top single site to see in Barcelona and quite worthwhile. The Picasso Museum is excellent if you have any love art museums at all. I would not miss Park Guell for anything. Its an excellent place to sightsee and walk. I found it a little tricky to get to though. We had to take a city bus and had to have exact change.

I would also take two side trips. I would take a day trip to the city of Figueres and see the Salvador Dali Museum. I probably would also go see Monserrat. (a monastery in the mountains)

Reasonable prices.

The dollar has declined about 15 cents to Euro since we visited in 2015. So, prices may not seem quite as good today. When we went there, I felt the city was very affordable.

Con's:

A large homeless population. I would get up in the morning to go for a walk and a homeless person was literally sleeping in every business doorstop.

Lots of prostitutes openly soliciting you on La Ramblas in the morning hours as well.

Perhaps, some political unrest due to the fact that Catalunya (Barcelona's province) wants independence from Spain. I have wondered how that might play out.

Out of the three locations you gave us, I admit I am torn. I am half Barcelona and half Lisbon.

Old 01-23-2018, 06:23 PM

1,591 posts, read 822,013 times
Quote:
If you absolutely HAVE to see the Coliseum and the Forum, Rome in July, sure. But Rome in July is HOT and MISERABLE. You will be tired and irritated with each other by noon. I did it one year, because it was the only chance in my life to see those monuments of history. If I had other opportunities or choices, someplace on the coast - like Nice. So Barcelona or Lisbon would be my preference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel