U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 08:27 AM

2,658 posts, read 1,550,599 times

Advertisements

We did a week in Amsterdam and had a great time! So much to do - Anne frank house, rijksmuseum, vondelpark, day trip to see windmills, Van Gogh museum, Heineken brewery etc. we actually ran out of time to do it all and went back a second time for a few days. They speak English and the red light district while prominent is not that big of a deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2018, 06:03 AM

3,660 posts, read 3,521,230 times
3 days in Rome. 2 days in Florence. One day to Naples also just for the real Pizza and real Italy vibes.

Old 01-29-2018, 08:21 PM

989 posts, read 595,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
Hope you have fun in Portugal. Haven't been, but have researched it a little and thought I'd share a possible five-day itinerary for Lisbon and the nearby area I've cobbled up. Feel free to use or adapt or ignore as you think best, and be sure to check museum times and days. I don't think you need a car for this:

Alfama
-National Tile Museum (Museu Nacional do Azueljo)
-Se (Cathedral)
-Casa dos Bicos
-Fundacao Ricardo Espirito Santo
-Castelo Sao Jorge

Belem
-Mosteiro dos Jeronimos
-Naval Museum
-Museo dos Coche
-Monument of the Discoveries
-Torre de Belem

-Museo Calouste Gulbenkian
-Barrio Alto stroll
-National Museum of Ancient Art

-Day trip: Sintra (Palacio Nacional, Palacio de Pena, Castle of the Moors: possible guided day trip?)

-Day trip: Queluz (National Palace and Gardens)

It looks like there are organized day trips from Lisbon to Sintra. These might be useful because Google maps suggests the different palaces tend to be spread out.
Thanks!

We have 1/2 of a Monday, then T/W/TH/F/S/S, leaving Monday. So 6 full days plus part of a 1st day.

Right now, for those 6 full days, we are tentatively planning for 4 days in Lisbon, 1 day trip to Sintra, and 1 long day driving to, enjoying, and coming back from the Algarve. The beaches down there look otherworldly, and a can't miss. I know that's a long drive for 1 day, but I think it will be worth it.

Old 01-30-2018, 09:07 AM

708 posts, read 777,411 times
My preference would be Lisbon with trips to Sintra and the area nearby. I had to put this trip on hold last year, so itís on my to do list, but it has come highly recommended and pictures are always lovely. I havenít heard or read ill from anyone who has been. I would see Lisbon separate from trying to go to Barcelona. 6 days will have plenty for you to do there.

I went to Barcelona years ago and it was a great time. We did not experience the massive crowds, but we were there in early October. Good food. This was the place where I experienced tapas for the first time and first witnessed open prostitution. Actually my first stay in Europe. I left with funny stories, so for that, it was a fun experience. My friend was recently there with her 12 year old son and they had a blast.

Rome/Florence would be a nice 6 day trip, but summer is big travel time and Rome is a main tourist destination. If youíre fine with that then definitely go. Iím into history and seeing all of the architecture, the monuments, the Vatican/Saint Peterís Square was a great experience for me. The Coliseum was under renovation when I went so Iíd like to go back just to see inside. I was traveling with older adults at the time and their interest laid primarily in churches and history. In Florence we bought some leather goods and toured some church area. We were there for a day. Food was decent, but by far better when we went to Sicily and Capri.

Old 01-31-2018, 08:15 AM

The more I read, the more it seems taking a day trip to the Algarve from Lisbon is a bad idea, which kind of bums me out. Are there nice beaches much closer to Lisbon? I looked at Caiscais, but that beach looks really small, and I'll bet it's jam packed in the summer.

Old 01-31-2018, 09:14 AM

3,664 posts, read 6,486,552 times
Ericeira Portugal is probably an hour bus ride outside of the city and was great. Not sure how the beaches there are for swimming but they look amazing, right off of some cliffs in some places. Plus, they have a really cool walking area by the beach with lots of cool bars and restaurants.. including an amazing Steak Sandwich shop, truly one of the best things I have ever eaten!

Old 01-31-2018, 10:08 AM

31 posts, read 42,018 times
I would definitely pick Rome and Florence. Those two cities are masterpieces like no others and as you said, they are very well interconnected (a high speed train would take about one hour and fifteen minutes with over 90 daily connections). I would especially focus on Rome even though you mentioned Florence as the city that you're most attracted to. I think that once in Rome you will be blown away by the immensity of the city's treasures while Florence has a much smaller (although still gorgeous) center.
Of course San Gimignano would also be an incredible town to visit (if you don't know it, check it out on Google images). It's known as the first city with skyscrapers in the world due to its many and beautiful medieval towers. It's almost like a brick-built miniature of Manhattan raising on a hill of the Tuscan country side.
As for the heat you should not worry excessively: between all the fountains, the city parks, the air conditioning and the gelato you'll be happy ; )

Last edited by cooldog77; 01-31-2018 at 10:09 AM.. Reason: Typo

Old 01-31-2018, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldog77 View Post
I would definitely pick Rome and Florence. Those two cities are masterpieces like no others and as you said, they are very well interconnected (a high speed train would take about one hour and fifteen minutes with over 90 daily connections). I would especially focus on Rome even though you mentioned Florence as the city that you're most attracted to. I think that once in Rome you will be blown away by the immensity of the city's treasures while Florence has a much smaller (although still gorgeous) center.
Of course San Gimignano would also be an incredible town to visit (if you don't know it, check it out on Google images). It's known as the first city with skyscrapers in the world due to its many and beautiful medieval towers. It's almost like a brick-built miniature of Manhattan raising on a hill of the Tuscan country side.
As for the heat you should not worry excessively: between all the fountains, the city parks, the air conditioning and the gelato you'll be happy ; )
Thanks....maybe next time. Already booked Lisbon.

Old 01-31-2018, 12:48 PM

3,456 posts, read 2,255,437 times
I was trying to remember the name of the beach we went to and have failed. I think it was probably Guincho (west of Cascais). Perhaps this will help you decide.

https://gotoportugal.eu/en/lisbon-beaches/

Old 01-31-2018, 02:17 PM

2,910 posts, read 1,588,036 times
The whole coastline seems pretty interesting from what I've surmised, north on the Silver Coast seems to be a real Euro destination - Nazare where they get the biggest waves in the world at times; I keep reading very nice reports about Ericeira & Obidos seems to be the most popular stop between Cascais & Porto.

Going south from Lisbon on the coast (Alentejo region) seems to be less touristed but attracts a "higher end" holiday crowd: pop stars, Euro politicians, elites, etc... I just happened to be reading about Comporta last night & it was described as a Hamptons -ish place. I know there is a jazz festival in one of these towns in summer, I get the feeling it is much lower-key tourist wise but with more 4 star inns sprinkled discreetly around.

I guess I would go north first, the younger ones may like to see the surfing since it's a major draw around there, & more accessible sites for first time visiting. There are beaches all along the coast, btw St John's Day 6/24 is a big holiday in PT, if you are around then you might find out the best place for festivities. My next trip is going to be mainly Cascais & Porto, looking at around that time.

Last edited by Hefe; 01-31-2018 at 02:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel