Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 08:46 AM

13,374 posts, read 28,620,253 times

Advertisements

Hi, I usually fly non stop but there are not to many choices to Copenhagen from Newark.

On one stop I have the option of 3 hours in Amsterdam, 3 hours 22 minutes in Toronto, 1 hour 10 minutes in Stockholm, 2 hours 45 minutes in Brussels.

Want to make sure there is enough time to go through customs and get to my gate.

I am buying 3 tickets and the difference in price between non stop on SAS and a one stop on UA and one of their partners is significant.

Would like to book soon as for an August departure I'm sure these fares will go up.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2018, 09:17 AM

16,351 posts, read 12,336,180 times
If you're on the same airline (or a partner) for both legs, I don't think you would have to clear customs at any of those connection sites since it's not your final destination. Your luggage is transferred from one flight to the next. You may have to pass through a security screening again.

Old 02-14-2018, 09:19 AM

3,602 posts, read 7,865,427 times
In terms of "getting things done on time" I would rate the Dutch and the Swedes the highest.

Old 02-14-2018, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
If you're on the same airline (or a partner) for both legs, I don't think you would have to clear customs at any of those connection sites since it's not your final destination. Your luggage is transferred from one flight to the next. You may have to pass through a security screening again.
Oh TY I wasn't aware of that as I usually don't connect

Old 02-14-2018, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
In terms of "getting things done on time" I would rate the Dutch and the Swedes the highest.
Thank you

Old 02-14-2018, 09:32 AM

I have one other option, of course I would lose the miles as they are not a Star alliance partner, the return flight timing I like better as I won't have to be up at the crack of dawn, Iceland air? Has anyone flown them, if so your comments are most welcome

Old 02-14-2018, 10:02 AM

2,537 posts, read 3,715,359 times
OP, each airport has a minimum connecting time posted on their website somewhere. The busier the airport, the longer minimum connecting time required for that airport. Just google "minimum connecting time at ..... airport" and you will find what you're looking for.

In any case, look around at the connecting airports' websites, and call the airlines directly to reverify (the ones that connected at the locations you mentioned above), they'll have the info somewhere in their database. I've faced the same dilemma a few times and had to change reservations a couple of times due to not enough connecting time (luckily it was still within 24 hours of purchase, so no penalty).

Old 02-14-2018, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
OP, each airport has a minimum connecting time posted on their website somewhere. The busier the airport, the longer minimum connecting time required for that airport. Just google "minimum connecting time at ..... airport" and you will find what you're looking for.

In any case, look around at the connecting airports' websites, and call the airlines directly to reverify (the ones that connected at the locations you mentioned above), they'll have the info somewhere in their database. I've faced the same dilemma a few times and had to change reservations a couple of times due to not enough connecting time (luckily it was still within 24 hours of purchase, so no penalty).
TY I will do that

Old 02-14-2018, 11:07 AM

13,259 posts, read 22,695,732 times
Denmark is part of the Schengen immigration and customs union, as are the Netherlands, Belgium, and Sweden. You go through immigration at the first point of entry into Schengen. 'Customs' is just a wander and get waived through a hallway with a few inspection tables at you final destination- as long as you're not trying to import a sheep or something, the Schengen countries are pretty indifferent about customs for folks entering via North America.

While I think Amsterdam's reputation is a bit overrated, it's generally an easy enough place to enter Schengen. (Sweden would be too short of a connection for my taste.)

Old 02-14-2018, 11:09 AM

12,769 posts, read 18,289,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post

I once had a 45 minute connection @ Helsinki on Finnair. It was intense, man... but it was plenty of time. Apparently no one flies to Helsinki.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel