U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2018, 07:50 AM

7,085 posts, read 1,775,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I don't understand where people are getting these great Airbnb deals. Every time I look for a property to stay in instead of a hotel, it's always much more expensive than a standard business hotel like Hampton Inn. I get that people like to bring their whole family to an Airbnb property because it's cheaper than a hotel with multiple rooms but for a single traveler like me, it's simply out of reason.

Maybe I'm visiting the wrong cities.
Depends on the location and how far in advance you make the reservation. If you are looking for a simple room in a house or apartment I have found much lower prices on Airbnb. I have only used it once so far but have perused it many times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2018, 08:23 AM

9,650 posts, read 4,548,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
There's still no need to raise the thermostat to a high temperature and keep it up that high day in and day out, regardless of whether someone is there or not. People customarily lower the temperature at night and if they are leaving the house for the day. I think the airbnb host was perfectly reasonable to assume a guest would use common courtesy and follow that kind of practice.
Yes there is, because it's not just about the temperature of the air. The cold permeates everything inside, the walls, the floor, the furniture. You can heat the air to 76 and still feel 65 degree cold emanating all around you. It may take awhile to bring the temp back up when you return. The number 76 on the thermostat doesn't mean it is 76 in the living spaces.

Different people have different tolerances for cold. I detest being cold. I moved to Houston from up north because of that, and it's too cold here in the winter. If I like it 76 I want it 76 when I walk in the door, not be miserable a few hours while it brings temp back up from 70.

I don't know anyone that raises and lowers the setting whenever they leave the house or return. People that want it lower at night or during the day have programmable thermostats. The owner should have arranged for it to be 70 when guest arrived. Bottom line: if owner has strict limits on the thermostat then owner should have posted guidance on that.

Old 01-26-2018, 09:21 AM

1,541 posts, read 1,338,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Aaaand, this is why I won't do AirBnb - or true B&Bs, for that matter. It's like staying at grandma's house, with the addition of grandma being allowed to trash you online!!
Thanks, I needed that. Laughed hard for several minutes!
Regardless of how people feel about my post or about airbnb in general...THAT was funny.

Old 01-26-2018, 09:28 AM

8,080 posts, read 13,455,455 times
OP could inject some humor in his reply.

" PS- I also took hot showers and used hours of wifi. I hope that wasn't against his unwritten rules."

Old 01-26-2018, 09:37 AM

708 posts, read 776,327 times
This is part of the reason why I’m still not a fan of AirBNB. It’s a true money saving alternative, so I will never say never, but stories like this will keep me looking at hotel deals first.

If I walked into a 50 degree place I would turn up the heat too. I need to be comfortable wherever I’m staying. I keep my home at 73 degrees in the winter. Whenever I go to hotels, I’m either turning off the AC or kicking up the heat when I walk into their rooms. I don’t like being cold.

Given this occurred in Cleveland and I’m familiar with their older buildings, I’m not surprised the heat needed to be up at a higher temperature. When I lived in an early 1900’s building with separate GFA heat for each apartment, the thermostat was at 79. It may as well had been in the low 60’s for the good it did. Yet, the monthly winter heat bill would be crazy. So I understand the owner’s concern, but I agree, he should have made a rule about if it was such a major issue. He couldn’t expect someone to stay 10 days in 50 degrees in the middle of those cold winter temps! I would have left if he had.

Old 01-26-2018, 09:39 AM

6,059 posts, read 3,379,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
But having a reasonable assumption is just that:

An assumption.

You can't assume people will do or not do anything and that is the whole purpose of the house rules. If we're going to assume things it would have also been reasonable to assume the owner would have had a discussion with OP about this and addressed the issue rather than not saying anything and taking a totally passive agressive approach of subsequently giving her a bad review.

I can't say I totally agree with setting the thermostat at what she set it at but there was a communication about this and again it wasn't in the house rules.

I'm with OP on this one.

If a host tells me "Help yourself to whatever is in the fridge" then I would assume it would be inappropriate to literally eat EVERYTHING in the fridge (unless the fridge was specifically stocked for just one person) Common decency tells one not to go over board.

Old 01-26-2018, 09:41 AM

708 posts, read 776,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Aaaand, this is why I won't do AirBnb - or true B&Bs, for that matter. It's like staying at grandma's house, with the addition of grandma being allowed to trash you online!! No thanks. I prefer being anonymous at a cheap motel, where they don't care what you do (withing reasonable behavior) as long as you're paying.

I'm reminded of the scene from a movie called Flirting with Disaster - "You're not B&B people!!"
Perfect description.

Donít sit there. Donít touch this. Donít touch the heat. Donít mess with the TV. Be quiet...

Old 01-26-2018, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
I'm in Minnesota. In winter, my thermostat at home is set at 66 F when I'm awake, and it goes to 60 F at night when I sleep. I'm very comfortable at that temp. At work, I cannot control the temp, and it often is 74-75 in my office. I have to open the window daily in winter, because it is just too hot at 75 degrees. If they'd let me control my temp, I'd not have to open the window. But they don't, so the window is opened daily.
Yes some people don't realise that houses and buildings up north are insulated to keep the inside warm in winter. A 75 degree house in MN feels warmer than a 75 degree house in TX. Theres also a difference between air heated by a furnace and air cooled by AC. Stand by a vent and you will see. Southerners are freeze babies though, I am an exception lol. When I lived in Texas my roommates had the heat full blast when it was only 45 outside. I had to turn that crap down when they weren't looking. Just cuz it's moderately cold outside doesn't mean the house has to be a sauna.

Old 01-26-2018, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I don't understand where people are getting these great Airbnb deals. Every time I look for a property to stay in instead of a hotel, it's always much more expensive than a standard business hotel like Hampton Inn. I get that people like to bring their whole family to an Airbnb property because it's cheaper than a hotel with multiple rooms but for a single traveler like me, it's simply out of reason.

Maybe I'm visiting the wrong cities.
I have stayed in Miami, Minneapolis and St. Paul. All had good deals. The Twin Cities aren't very expensive to begin with (though they will be this whole coming week leading to the super bowl, you betcha!) The one in Miami was a fantastic deal I think 30 a night or so?

In Miami I travelled with a boyfriend (mom was not yet comfortable with her son sleeping with a boy in her house) and the times in the Twin Cities I was by myself and they were "pre-moving" visits. Everywhere else I have stayed at hotels or family/friend. First time I visited Minnesota I stayed at a hotel and it was crappy especially the shower. Every other hotel/motel I stayed at was fine but realise not everyone has the same economic status and age as you do. I am a 20something year old college kid. Plane tickets/gasoline can be expensive in their own rights and I gotta budget. Once I am a professional making good money I can stay at all the nice hotels I want.

Old 01-26-2018, 09:54 AM

15,530 posts, read 13,513,460 times
Lol, I keep mine at 76-78 all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel