U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2018, 10:23 AM

9,657 posts, read 4,550,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Yes some people don't realise that houses and buildings up north are insulated to keep the inside warm in winter. A 75 degree house in MN feels warmer than a 75 degree house in TX. Theres also a difference between air heated by a furnace and air cooled by AC. Stand by a vent and you will see. Southerners are freeze babies though, I am an exception lol. When I lived in Texas my roommates had the heat full blast when it was only 45 outside. I had to turn that crap down when they weren't looking. Just cuz it's moderately cold outside doesn't mean the house has to be a sauna.
And some people don't realize that different buildings have different insulation efficiencies and heating sources, even when located on the same street much less same region. Or that different people have different comfort levels, and that doesn't make one person "right" and the other person "wrong". Or that the temp coming out the vent has nothing to do with the average temp of the living space unless one spends all their time sitting by the vent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2018, 10:48 AM

5,930 posts, read 2,887,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I don't understand where people are getting these great Airbnb deals. Every time I look for a property to stay in instead of a hotel, it's always much more expensive than a standard business hotel like Hampton Inn
We usually find airbnbs for cheaper than that level hotel because booking with the one week discount, but even if it's a wash the airbnb is much better because will have kitchen, sofa, etc.

Here are some examples of places we're considering for next time in CDMX:

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/9453216
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/18366651
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/22455873
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/5241655

All those are in a good area and are great deals compared to chain hotels in that area.

Old 01-26-2018, 10:52 AM

2,546 posts, read 1,635,825 times
Quote:
Yes some people don't realise that houses and buildings up north are insulated to keep the inside warm in winter. A 75 degree house in MN feels warmer than a 75 degree house in TX. Theres also a difference between air heated by a furnace and air cooled by AC. Stand by a vent and you will see. Southerners are freeze babies though, I am an exception lol. When I lived in Texas my roommates had the heat full blast when it was only 45 outside. I had to turn that crap down when they weren't looking. Just cuz it's moderately cold outside doesn't mean the house has to be a sauna.
I don't think this is true. Lot of old home in the North constructed when the cost of heating is cheap are badly insulated.

Old 01-26-2018, 11:16 AM

708 posts, read 776,590 times
Quote:
This may be true of newer buildings and homes built with energy efficiency in mind, but it is not the norm across the North, as you say, because many older, turn-of-the-century buildings still exist. I grew up in the Midwest and am very familiar. Unless remodeled at some point, many of those homes and buildings are not well-insulated. The very opposite. The brick holds cold when it’s cold and heat when it’s hot. When landlords started separating heat to GFA from the old radiator, boiler heat, it became a bad situation with high heat bills and still uncomfortable inside temps during the winter. Energy efficient windows helped, but only so much. Radiator heat really was the best heat for those buildings. Even the newer office buildings can have poor insulation. I worked in a typical concrete and glass office building built in the 80’s and it was a cold environment despite the heat. I started working from home more often because it was just too uncomfortable.

Old 01-26-2018, 11:26 AM

9,657 posts, read 4,550,889 times
That reminds me of the year I had an old duplex apartment with radiator heat back in college in KY. It was the only winter I wasn't miserable, my feet always cold, and everything I touched freezing cold. It's been almost 30 years since I came to Texas, for the jobs and the warmth.

Old 01-26-2018, 11:30 AM

12,607 posts, read 7,538,198 times
The real question is, what temperature does the OP keep his own home? Did he keep his home at 76 when living in Cleveland?

Old 01-26-2018, 12:06 PM

21,164 posts, read 11,768,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangomadness View Post
This is part of the reason why Iím still not a fan of AirBNB. Itís a true money saving alternative, so I will never say never, but stories like this will keep me looking at hotel deals first.

If I walked into a 50 degree place I would turn up the heat too. I need to be comfortable wherever Iím staying. I keep my home at 73 degrees in the winter. Whenever I go to hotels, Iím either turning off the AC or kicking up the heat when I walk into their rooms. I donít like being cold.

Given this occurred in Cleveland and Iím familiar with their older buildings, Iím not surprised the heat needed to be up at a higher temperature. When I lived in an early 1900ís building with separate GFA heat for each apartment, the thermostat was at 79. It may as well had been in the low 60ís for the good it did. Yet, the monthly winter heat bill would be crazy. So I understand the ownerís concern, but I agree, he should have made a rule about if it was such a major issue. He couldnít expect someone to stay 10 days in 50 degrees in the middle of those cold winter temps! I would have left if he had.
Where are you getting that the host wanted the temps set at 50 the whole time? Once he was home, he changed it from 76 (in an apparently empty house) to 70. He had apparently left to go out of town when it was turned down to 50 while it was sitting empty prior to OP's arrival.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
The real question is, what temperature does the OP keep his own home? Did he keep his home at 76 when living in Cleveland?
Yep, and I doubt we'll get an answer because it's unlikely that it was a constant 76 degrees all winter long, day and night, whether OP was home or the house was unoccupied.

Old 01-26-2018, 12:09 PM

1,542 posts, read 1,339,089 times
Quote:
Pretty much, I do. But more like lower 70s. But the Airbnb place had a tough time holding any heat in.

Old 01-26-2018, 12:11 PM

3,662 posts, read 6,484,389 times
For another example.. Here is an AirBNB i just booked for Gdansk Poland in May..

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/3675334

This place all in was 184 dollars for 3 nights... Even if I could find a hotel for that price, why would I?

Old 01-26-2018, 12:12 PM

6,961 posts, read 3,860,525 times
Quote:
Actually, the real question is if the thermostat is set at 76 what is the actual temperature in all the living and sleeping areas of the property? Setting means nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel