U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2018, 12:23 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,911,538 times

Advertisements

Perhaps I'm being contrary, but if I were a potential renter who read the landlord's review about the OP over a thermostat setting, I would avoid his property, pronto.

Regardless of what's considered 'normal' thermostat setting in Ohio winter, or what one should expect for such a low nightly rate, the landlord failed to specify the thermostat setting in the 'house rule' and as such, he had no right to leave a bad review over something he failed to communicate to his renter in the first place.

I've never used Airbnb before but I've rented plenty of vacation rentals from either an agency or directly from the owner. Thermostat / AC setting rule was always clearly spelled out on the house rule (emailed to me in a soft copy prior to signing the rental agreement and an extra copy was always left inside the property for quick reference). In fact, I've seen it on a few commercial hotel rooms too. I would respond to the owner's review with the above argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2018, 03:12 PM

12,643 posts, read 7,554,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Actually, the real question is if the thermostat is set at 76 what is the actual temperature in all the living and sleeping areas of the property? Setting means nothing.
The electric company isnít going to care about what the actual temperature is. If the OP doesnít run up his electric bill with a high temperature, then he shouldnít run up a strangerís bill.

Old 01-26-2018, 03:30 PM

8,201 posts, read 11,915,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
The electric company isnít going to care about what the actual temperature is. If the OP doesnít run up his electric bill with a high temperature, then he shouldnít run up a strangerís bill.
The OP is not a guest in someone's house any more so than he would be considered to be a guest in a hotel. He is a paying customer and should be able to set the thermostat at whatever temperature he feels comfortable. If the owner of the home isn't prepared to run a commercial enterprise and deal with paying customers, then he shouldn't rent out his house. If he does want to rent out his house, then he should set the rental fee at a figure that includes his utility costs.

Old 01-26-2018, 03:34 PM

1,844 posts, read 1,944,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
If a host tells me "Help yourself to whatever is in the fridge" then I would assume it would be inappropriate to literally eat EVERYTHING in the fridge (unless the fridge was specifically stocked for just one person) Common decency tells one not to go over board.
I tell my guests they can eat whatever is in the fridge and I literally don't mind if they eat it all. Usually they are snacks and beverages other people have left behind. Sodas, cookies, yogurts, nuts, crackers, soups, cereal, butter, lemons. I don;t care.

I don't live there, but nearby. I greet my guests.

My guests - I call them guests because this is what Airbnb calls them - enter with a key that's outside in the lockbox.

The house has high speed internet, big screen TV with lots of channels and lots of privacy. The house is very safe for women. I fell in love with this house when I saw it at an open house and was not looking to buy, per se. I was just curious. I am an artistic type and I always wanted to restore an old house and have someday something that's residence for writers. For this I need a business plan and until I come up with an idea a friend of mine told me to put it on Airbnb, to recoup my costs. The house had appealed to young people and old people alike. They all go "wow" after they come in!

It has rooms that have locks individually and I have either all female guests at a time, or families or all male guests, never mixed gender strangers under the same roof.

The whole house was entirely redone and decorated because it was in terrible shape. There isn't a place or a brick in that house that hasn't been touched. And yes, that includes new insulation. My bedrooms are warm. Bathroom and kitchen completely redone from scratch. It is modern and vibrant. Beats the impersonal hotel stay hands down! I also stayed with random people in my traveles. Airbnb shows you hosts - when look to rent something - based on common interests listed, so this is why I end up with people I have something in common with.

And before criticizing me that I don't like people putting the thermostat on 76F without asking: I changed the house rules on the listing: I only accept from 68-72. That's it. Take it or leave it.

And yes, if people are nice, polite I do more for them. I once had some elderly from England. I drove them around in my car a whole Sunday, I showed them the city. At the end of the day we were doing the dishes in the kicthen, exchanging life stories. I hosted an 80 year old who also had an incredible life story and that impressed me very much. I hosted college students over the summer who were in town for internship. Such a nice bunch! I actually cooked and brought food for them free of charge. If I have guests coming by plane: if I have time I give them a ride from and to the airport. Once I had a 23 year old Chinese girl who stayed one night with me and was leaving the next day to New York City by bus. Her bus was ad midnight. I went with her and stayed there until she got on the bus. I also got to wave to her mom in China, over skype on the phone assuring her the daughter was OK. What hotel clerk does that, tell me? So please don;t tell me I'm inflexible when it comes to my guests.

I hosted large families, bridal parties, a writer ( ), people who, after staying with at my house also decided to become hosts and I spent time with them sharing from my experience as a host and as a traveler. I talked to my guests and with most, I discover something in common, professional or hobby, or just likes and dislikes.

I could honestly say that my guests follow the Bell curve, with 90% of them being nice, 5% creating me some sort of problems and 5% being exceptional guests.

In OP's case it is the host's responsibility to have ensured the house was on 70F when she arrived. Also it is his responsibility (and interest) to make sure the house is insulated and prevents drafts of air.

But I stick with my opinion that putting the thermostat on 76F is disrespectful.

Old 01-26-2018, 03:35 PM

8,080 posts, read 13,464,179 times
Quote:
You are missing the point.

If I like sleeping at 70 degrees I would put the thermostat at whatever it needed to be on to have my bedroom 70 degrees. If the airbnb is drafty or poorly insulated and the thermostat needs to be on 80 for
a 70 degree bedroom then that is the host's problem, not mine.

I highly doubt the OP suffered through a miserably sweaty stay just to be able to run up the
host's bill. He simple set the thermostat to where he was comfortable.

Old 01-26-2018, 03:54 PM

3,206 posts, read 3,199,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
If a host tells me "Help yourself to whatever is in the fridge" then I would assume it would be inappropriate to literally eat EVERYTHING in the fridge (unless the fridge was specifically stocked for just one person) Common decency tells one not to go over board.
And that is exactly what is being debated in this thread:

What is common decency (which in this case is subjective since different people are comfortable at different temperatures).

Since it is subjective, if you're a host you can avoid the entire issue of assuming everyone who comes into your home who is paying to stay there is going to follow your inherent/assumed common decency traits by putting this sort of thing OP dealt with in the house rules.

Old 01-26-2018, 03:55 PM

251 posts, read 113,698 times
He is a little baby ***** and does not need to be renting his apartment on AirBnB.

If he's mad over a 5 degree thermostat difference imagine what would happen if somebody accidentally spilled something on the floor.

Old 01-26-2018, 03:58 PM

2,549 posts, read 1,640,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
And that is exactly what is being debated in this thread:

What is common decency (which in this case is subjective since different people are comfortable at different temperatures).

Since it is subjective, if you're a host you can avoid the entire issue of assuming everyone who comes into your home who is paying to stay there is going to follow your inherent/assumed common decency traits by putting this sort of thing OP dealt with in the house rules.
Everybody has different definitions of common decency. Normal for you may be weird for others.

Old 01-26-2018, 04:08 PM

12,643 posts, read 7,554,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
You are missing the point.

If I like sleeping at 70 degrees I would put the thermostat at whatever it needed to be on to have my bedroom 70 degrees. If the airbnb is drafty or poorly insulated and the thermostat needs to be on 80 for
a 70 degree bedroom then that is the host's problem, not mine.

I highly doubt the OP suffered through a miserably sweaty stay just to be able to run up the
host's bill. He simple set the thermostat to where he was comfortable.
No, if you like sleeping at 70* and it feels cooler, you put on a sweater. You donít run up someoneís heating bill, especially when you are only paying twenty-something a night. At that price I would never feel like I was entitled to put the temp at 76.

The thermostat was set to 50 when the OP arrived, that should have been a big clue to the OP that the owner was someone who likes to conserve electricity. It was not an invitation for the OP to crank the heat up by almost 30*.

Old 01-26-2018, 04:44 PM

8,080 posts, read 13,464,179 times
Quote:
No, if you like sleeping at 70* and it feels cooler, you put on a sweater.
No, YOU put on a sweater. I set the heat to where I am comfortable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel