U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-26-2018, 04:47 PM
 
12,683 posts, read 7,586,171 times
Reputation: 23915

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
No, YOU put on a sweater. I set the heat to where I am comfortable.
Which is fine when you are in your own house, but not when you are in someone elseís house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-26-2018, 04:50 PM
 
8,080 posts, read 13,478,956 times
Reputation: 10323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Which is fine when you are in your own house, but not when you are in someone elseís house.
I disagree. If I pay for a place to stay I assume heat, hot water, electricity are included.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2018, 04:57 PM
 
9,729 posts, read 4,582,107 times
Reputation: 12647
I'm not wearing sweaters and jackets *inside* the house. Maybe that's how you northern folks roll but I'm used to shorts and t-shirt. I'm not camping.

If you rent your house out it's up to you to post any rules.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2018, 05:00 PM
 
8,080 posts, read 13,478,956 times
Reputation: 10323
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I'm not wearing sweaters and jackets *inside* the house. Maybe that's how you northern folks roll but I'm used to shorts and t-shirt. I'm not camping.

If you rent your house out it's up to you to post any rules.
Exactly..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2018, 05:18 PM
 
12,683 posts, read 7,586,171 times
Reputation: 23915
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
I disagree. If I pay for a place to stay I assume heat, hot water, electricity are included.
Just because itís there doesnít mean you need to waste resources. Setting the temp that high when itís that cold out probably means the furnace ran 24/7. Even if the house was drafty, higher temps are not going to fix the draft, itíll just make the furnace work harder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2018, 05:24 PM
 
12,683 posts, read 7,586,171 times
Reputation: 23915
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
If you rent your house out it's up to you to post any rules.
I would expect people staying at my home to have some common courtesy. Itís pretty sad if rules need to be posted. Weíre talking about adults here, not little children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2018, 05:26 PM
 
8,080 posts, read 13,478,956 times
Reputation: 10323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Just because itís there doesnít mean you need to waste resources. Setting the temp that high when itís that cold out probably means the furnace ran 24/7. Even if the house was drafty, higher temps are not going to fix the draft, itíll just make the furnace work harder.
You are really dug in on this one. In a drafty house, the temp in the outer rooms will be warmer if the thermostat is at 76 than if it's set to 70. I lived in an old drafty house once.

And "wasting heat" is subjective. People have different temps they are comfortable at.

I hope the airbnb host learned from this to either have written rules about the thermostat or to increase his price to cover the utilities. If I stayed there and was cold the entire time I would write a review mentioning that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2018, 05:30 PM
 
8,080 posts, read 13,478,956 times
Reputation: 10323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I would expect people staying at my home to have some common courtesy. Itís pretty sad if rules need to be posted. Weíre talking about adults here, not little children.
Half of this forum agrees with the guest so he does need to post his rule if he has thermostat temperature
rules. I would not have been pleased at coming into a 50 degree room and it taking hours to be warm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2018, 05:38 PM
 
9,729 posts, read 4,582,107 times
Reputation: 12647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Just because itís there doesnít mean you need to waste resources. Setting the temp that high when itís that cold out probably means the furnace ran 24/7. Even if the house was drafty, higher temps are not going to fix the draft, itíll just make the furnace work harder.
It's not "wasting" resources if he's heating the place as needed to be comfortable. I don't consider that temp to be that high, certainly nothing beyond "decency" and "respect". It may be more than what some are used to but it's also in the range of what some are used to. You would probably consider the same temp to be too low in the summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2018, 09:15 PM
 
Location: Mt. Lebanon
1,844 posts, read 1,948,941 times
Reputation: 1899
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
I disagree. If I pay for a place to stay I assume heat, hot water, electricity are included.
I am sorry, not when you pay 25$ per night. Sure if I charge 100$ like the hotels I wouldn't care, but I don't. So to me paying 25$ which is cheaper than the dirtiest motel and wanting to have services like if you stay in a 5 star hotel is rude. If a clean brand new house and 70f is not enough then you are not a good guest for me. The water is very hot if you are wondering. Got a brand new efficient water tank.
You are just a guest and you are staying in a room that's cleaner than a hotel's and has a brand new kitchen and privacy.
If u ask me why I charge this low it's because this is a small city, non turistical and it's off season. I lowered the prices to have guests to cover the costs. And yet I get one of these guests who believe are entitled to everything for 25$!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top