Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2018, 07:29 PM

20,104 posts, read 9,018,880 times

Advertisements

I own and operate an Airbnb in a beach town on the East Coast and have for 3 years. I probably have 20 different guests each year. The "season" for me is from May to mid September. It's a 2 story, 4 bedroom, 2.5 BA home which I rent out in it's entirety. There is a community pool to use. I don't live there at all. It's not grandma's house. I live less than a half mile away from this property. I manage it. I have also been a guest at Airbnb's. I would not stay in a home shared by a host, but that's just me. Actually Airbnb doesn't want a bunch of clowns like this guy renting a space with a broken shower, arguing about the thermostat. They'll boot him as a host quickly with a few bad reviews.

I would never dictate the temperature range in my Airbnb. Come in from the beach?...community pool ?...hot? -- turn the thermostat down as low as you want. I charge $350 a night to stay there. I'm booked all summer long. You make yourself comfortable.

Secondly, this concern about being rated. When you leave an Airbnb property you have the opportunity to rate or be rated but here's the thing nobody is telling you -- Airbnb requires both the host and the renter to submit a review or neither of the reviews are published. If you don't offer a review, you'll never be rated, they require both.

My property is professionally cleaned after each use. I charge $125 for it. I don't leave food in the refrigerator. Everything is there to cook meals, I have beach chairs to use, boogey boards, bikes, pack and play, etc etc...for anyone to use. I supply all towels and linens. I have high speed internet and a 50" TV to watch. I meet each guest when they arrive, show them the house, answer any questions they have. I'm 5 minutes away if the have a problem. Reviews are always excellent.

That's how you operate an Airbnb. Read reviews of the hosts. Contact them, then decide.

Sure you can rent a hotel room, sit on your queen size bed all the time you're there, hope the people above and below you aren't beating on the floor all night, buy all your food in restaurants, leave your car in a crowded parking lot hoping no one damages it, for the same price I charge for a house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2018, 07:38 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,012,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
- Airbnb requires both the host and the renter to submit a review or neither of the reviews are published. If you don't offer a review, you'll never be rated, they require both.
The thing I wonder about with this system would be if a host or guest really did something creepy or
way out of line then no one would ever know unless they both submitted reviews. If a host has ever made a
guest feel very uncomfortable then I think that should be made known. As a female I think that would
protect me from staying somewhere that the host may be untrustworthy.

Old 01-27-2018, 08:04 PM

20,104 posts, read 9,018,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
The thing I wonder about with this system would be if a host or guest really did something creepy or
way out of line then no one would ever know unless they both submitted reviews. If a host has ever made a
guest feel very uncomfortable then I think that should be made known. As a female I think that would

Reviews you see on Airbnb are about the property and to share your experiences with the area. If you got a beef with a host, you can contact Airbnb directly and immediately. Airbnb doesn't screw around with hosts, a few bad reviews, you're gone. Creeps aren't tolerated at all.

I don't rent to smokers, anyone under 25, large groups etc. There are house rules and a $500 shadow charge if something is damaged. I have never charged anyone for damage, everyone has been respectful of my home. Do you think creepy things aren't going on in hotels?

I wouldn't rent an Airbnb property in a private home others are living in. I'm not comfortable with it, I'd get a hotel room instead.. Because mine sleeps 8, my property usually appeals to families.

Old 01-27-2018, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Reviews you see on Airbnb are about the property and to share your experiences with the area. If you got a beef with a host, you can contact Airbnb directly and immediately. Airbnb doesn't screw around with hosts, a few bad reviews, you're gone. Creeps aren't tolerated at all.

I don't rent to smokers, anyone under 25, large groups etc. There are house rules and a $500 shadow charge if something is damaged. I have never charged anyone for damage, everyone has been respectful of my home. Do you think creepy things aren't going on in hotels?

I wouldn't rent an Airbnb property in a private home others are living in. I'm not comfortable with it, I'd get a hotel room instead.. Because mine sleeps 8, my property usually appeals to families.
I enjoy airbnbs with just a private room and common living areas. But as a single woman I would want to know if the host had any complaints about their behavior.

Old 01-27-2018, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Reviews you see on Airbnb are about the property and to share your experiences with the area.
As a guest I would think I am reviewing the property and the host.

Old 01-27-2018, 09:25 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
I enjoy airbnbs with just a private room and common living areas. But as a single woman I would want to know if the host had any complaints about their behavior.
I think skeddy is saying is that if the host had a pattern of complaints about their behaviour, they wouldn't be hosts.

Old 01-27-2018, 10:40 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
I haven't read all 17 pages of responses BUT I always read reviews. The best way to diffuse this is to write something diplomatic that will show other readers you're a good guy. Such as: I enjoyed my stay. With temps in the teens I had trouble getting warm. I'd be happy to cover the difference in your heating bill for the time I was there.
If he bites, be sure you get bills to compare with similar temperatures during the time frames and prorate for just you're length of stay.

Old 01-27-2018, 11:23 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,513,131 times
Why are you wondering only about hosts? Guests can be creepy too. My first ever Airbnb did time for trying to seduce a minor. He was gay and tried to seduce a boy. I googled his name after he showed up at my house. I recognized the pic. He paid. What was I supposed to do?

Old 01-28-2018, 12:20 AM

2,611 posts, read 2,882,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRiteMA98 View Post
Why are you wondering only about hosts? Guests can be creepy too. My first ever Airbnb did time for trying to seduce a minor. He was gay and tried to seduce a boy. I googled his name after he showed up at my house. I recognized the pic. He paid. What was I supposed to do?
How did you screen for guest beforehand ? Have you ever rejected any guest?

Old 01-28-2018, 04:13 AM

836 posts, read 1,778,469 times
Quote:
Secondly, this concern about being rated. When you leave an Airbnb property you have the opportunity to rate or be rated but here's the thing nobody is telling you -- Airbnb requires both the host and the renter to submit a review or neither of the reviews are published. If you don't offer a review, you'll never be rated, they require both.
Actually, you DON'T HAVE to leave a review in order to get one: it's just that in that case you won't SEE review that you received for 14 days.

If you write a review and they don't - they won't get to see yours for 14 days (after which point they can't leave their own). Makes sense and seems to be much more thought-out system than Ebay, for instance - that way, the other party can not retaliate in case first review to be submitted was bad.

Also, to somebody else mentioning editing your review - you CAN'T edit yours after posting (again, for the same reason - keeping reviews fair and unbiased). Nor Airbnb can override/delete a review upon request, as far as I know (though I haven't tried asking that)

Quote:
Don't worry, this is not exactly the case!

Also, as a single woman, you might feel safer booking Airbnbs with female hosts?

Last edited by Dreams2Plans; 01-28-2018 at 04:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel