U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2018, 04:18 AM

787 posts, read 1,485,883 times

Advertisements

I am a host, and I would never dream of writing a bad review based on my guests' thermostat settings. (Worst-case scenario: if they left the doors/windows open AND kept the heat on - I'd be upset, possibly ask not to do it again, but would not hold a grudge only to retaliate via review later. That's just stupid and benefits no one. Reflects badly on the host himself, actually)

As most everyone else had said: if it was that important, the host should've put it into his house rules.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2018, 07:28 AM

1,209 posts, read 1,584,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyNewMe View Post
I am a host, and I would never dream of writing a bad review based on my guests' thermostat settings. (Worst-case scenario: if they left the doors/windows open AND kept the heat on - I'd be upset, possibly ask not to do it again, but would not hold a grudge only to retaliate via review later. That's just stupid and benefits no one. Reflects badly on the host himself, actually)

As most everyone else had said: if it was that important, the host should've put it into his house rules.
Again....one must remember we are just hearing ONE side of the story, for some reason I am thinking there is quite a bit more to this story.

Old 01-28-2018, 08:43 AM

7,867 posts, read 2,285,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I think skeddy is saying is that if the host had a pattern of complaints about their behaviour, they wouldn't be hosts.
correct, most of the time I spend less than 10 minutes with guests. They didn't rent the property to hang with me. Problems arise when hosts misrepresent their property or are non-responsive to their guests.

Airbnb isn't going to expose themselves to liabilities by advertising miscreants and weirdos. I'm not renting a room for $30, I'm renting a home for $350 a night with a three night minimum. Airbnb handles the money end of it and direct deposits into an account. You pay half at time of booking, half nearer to rental date. No money changes hands between hosts and tenants.

Just a FYI, if you want to rent an Airbnb property near the beach, do it now, I'm 90% booked by April 1st every year. People seem to book early. I've had two bookings this weekend for June and July.

Old 01-28-2018, 10:34 AM

15,258 posts, read 4,025,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last1Standing View Post
76 is extremely high for heat and a waste of electricity and money.
I am a heating guy. In those sub-zero temps that we had, the setting on the thermostat means very little. The entire walls and windows radiate cold - very cold, yet the thermostat may be located in a less draft spot. Also, it is very possible that the heat load was so great that the 76 didn't bring it past 70 or 72.

To translate, it would not cost any more to set it at 72 than at 76.

Different story if we were talking 30 or 40 degree weather. But it sounds like the place is not properly insulated and weatherproofed.

Old 01-28-2018, 11:06 AM
Status: "Disagreeing is not the same thing as trolling." (set 11 days ago)

9,540 posts, read 3,654,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
Again....one must remember we are just hearing ONE side of the story, for some reason I am thinking there is quite a bit more to this story.
Then what's the other side of the story?

Sure, we only hear an OP's side of the story because that's all that is available to us in their post. But I don't think it's fair to imply they are leaving out pertinent facts, because they might not be. I personally can't stand it when I post something and someone accuses me of leaving out things and not telling the other side.

I think the OP just encountered a very rude person. Based on what he says, I don't want to rent an Air B&B myself. I'll stick with hotels.

Old 01-28-2018, 11:18 AM

769 posts, read 628,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
All other reviews about him were positive. Yes I can leave a reply. But again, I'm a bit apprehensive, and also not wanting to stoop to that level. It just irks me really.
That and this is kind of a lesson learned. That and 54 years old and with a good job is probably not the type of person who should be sleeping in stranger's guest rooms and nickel and dimeing it when there's perfectly good low-priced hotels all around. It's not like I'm 22 and crashing on my buddy's futon to save cash. It kind of felt that way.

Can't you write something short and simple like, " Didn't know the thermostat was going to ruin your life, or I would have left it where it was. Next time throw it in the House Rules so we know"

Old 01-28-2018, 02:26 PM

6,623 posts, read 3,748,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
Oh! He also said I "was never there" in his review, so why run the heat so "high." Due to his absence, he has no idea how often I was there, other than me saying I shouldn't be there too often, before I rented it. He took it upon himself to assume I was not there and stated as such in his review of me.
Forgot all about that!
He could ask others. He doesn't have to be there to know when others are there.

76 is too high for freezing weather like that. That's a 76 degree difference between outside and inside temperature! 65 would have been more appropriate. Enough for it not to be too cold inside (you stay bundled up inside, when it's zero outside) and to prevent pipes from freezing. But I would think his rules should have stated that. You could have asked, if you aren't familiar with zero degree temperatures, like I'm not.

I would respond to his review, being polite, and explaining that the rules didn't specify thermostat temperature settings, and you are unfamiliar with weather that cold. And make it clear that you were there for the most part, and set it lower when you left.

Old 01-28-2018, 02:31 PM

6,623 posts, read 3,748,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
I am a heating guy. In those sub-zero temps that we had, the setting on the thermostat means very little. The entire walls and windows radiate cold - very cold, yet the thermostat may be located in a less draft spot. Also, it is very possible that the heat load was so great that the 76 didn't bring it past 70 or 72.

To translate, it would not cost any more to set it at 72 than at 76.

Different story if we were talking 30 or 40 degree weather. But it sounds like the place is not properly insulated and weatherproofed.
It's an old house, so of course it's drafty and not insulated well.

76 is too high, IMO. That's a 76 degree difference from the outside temperature! Yikes! I would've set it at 65 and dressed warmly inside, and then while sleeping I'm under a bunch of blankets, right?

If he had concerns about the cold weather, he could've brought a little electric heater with him. They cost about 16 to 20 cents an hour to run and are great for a small area like a bedroom.

Old 01-28-2018, 02:38 PM

8,080 posts, read 13,464,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
He could ask others. He doesn't have to be there to know when others are there.

76 is too high for freezing weather like that. That's a 76 degree difference between outside and inside temperature! 65 would have been more appropriate. Enough for it not to be too cold inside (you stay bundled up inside, when it's zero outside) and to prevent pipes from freezing. But I would think his rules should have stated that. You could have asked, if you aren't familiar with zero degree temperatures, like I'm not.

I would respond to his review, being polite, and explaining that the rules didn't specify thermostat temperature settings, and you are unfamiliar with weather that cold. And make it clear that you were there for the most part, and set it lower when you left.
Totally personal preference..I don't change my comfortable winter thermostat setting of 73 whether it is 50 or -10 outside.

Craigiri (a heating expert) and just posted that it may have never gotten warmer than 70 or 72 inside no matter what the thermostat was on.

Old 01-28-2018, 02:40 PM

8,080 posts, read 13,464,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
If he had concerns about the cold weather, he could've brought a little electric heater with him. They cost about 16 to 20 cents an hour to run and are great for a small area like a bedroom.
You sound like you may be the airbnb host.

Who travels and takes along a space heater ??
And for fire safety I think that is a bad idea anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel