U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2018, 02:54 PM

7,681 posts, read 16,101,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post

If he had concerns about the cold weather, he could've brought a little electric heater with him. They cost about 16 to 20 cents an hour to run and are great for a small area like a bedroom.
I'm supposed to use almost my entire checked bag allowance to bring my own heater to my 'Bed and Breakfast' when I fly somewhere? Sounds more like camping to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2018, 03:12 PM

8,080 posts, read 13,460,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
I'm supposed to use almost my entire checked bag allowance to bring my own heater to my 'Bed and Breakfast' when I fly somewhere? Sounds more like camping to me.
haha, and bring along a portable camping toilet in case the plumbing doesn't work

Old 01-28-2018, 03:37 PM

1,844 posts, read 1,943,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
How did you screen for guest beforehand ? Have you ever rejected any guest?
I can only screen after they are booked. Before that I have no access to their fuul name. I rejected when what they we're looking for was not possible or I felt uncomfortable with them. For example one guy from Norway was coming to us with work, wanted to stay at my house but didn't know how to drive. Told him there's no busesto take from my house to his work. This isn't Europe.

Another guy was a creep. Won't enter in details but I called Airbnb and I told them get him removed, otherwise I am not going back to my own house.

Old 01-28-2018, 03:41 PM

3,607 posts, read 1,558,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
Bear with me....thanks:
So I stayed for the first time as an airbnb guest. Cleveland (my former home), great central location, condo in a old classy apartment building, etc. Owner (med student) was out of town, out of the country actually, until the last day of my stay. Found this out after I booked it, but preferred it for the privacy and not worrying about waking him up, etc. Had my own room in a large apartment. All was good.
The ten days I stayed there went well, but there were small issues that would have deterred others but I rolled with it because of the preferred location. The shower handle was broken and it was impossible to get water without forcing it. I did not want to force anything because I imagined water spraying everywhere out of something I caused, and so I called and emailed. He was in a remote location in Africa and didn't get back to me for some time that day, but he was nice and apologetic and knew about the broken handle but assured me to force it and it would work fine. I forced it and it did. He also offered a full refund if I wanted to leave, before I tried getting the shower going. No need, I assured him. All is well, right? He seemed to appreciate my flexibility.
Cleveland had unbelievably low temperatures during my entire stay....average of 10 degrees. Never got above 20. At night was zero-ish. Upon my arrival, the thermostat was at 50. The condo was FREEZING. There was a note to turn the thermostat on upon my arrival, but no temperature setting was listed for instructions. I bumped it up to 76 to get things warmed up and went to bed.....still a very cold, drafty place. Never truly got "warm."
We had talked back and forth and had been friendly before booking and when I had questions throughout my stay. Super nice and friendly......helping each other really. He arrived the next-to-last day, I was out at dinner, he texted me to say he bumped the thermostat down to 70. I said ok and thanks and that I'd see him in the morning.
Saw him early the next day in the hallway, shook hands, I was very friendly and social, just as we had been. I could tell something was amiss with him. So he started the conversation with "about checkout.....?" I said I'm planning on leaving in a couple of hours, he said ok, very well, and that was that. I took a shower thinking "what's going on?"
Gave him his keys as I left, told him to keep the bottle of detergent and the craft beers in the fridge (I never used anything in the kitchen). He said ok thanks. Never looked up from the computer and fairly cold. I figured it for his personality, shook hands, said thanks with a smile and headed out.
Airbnb wanted me to do a review a few days later, so I gave a brief, positive, non-specific review. All good, good communication, great place etc. After all, I wanted a good review back. And I didn't mention the broken shower etc etc.
A few days after that I was skewered in his review of me. It all dwelled on the temperature of the thermostat, how I was not staying in a personal hotel, how it's someone's house and I need to be more respectful of temperature norms, etc. It went on and on that way, three paragraphs and all about the thermostat. (I think he's STILL writing about it as we speak.). And a backhanded compliment about how I "was probably just new to airbnb and how I will learn." Again, the condo was freezing. Old windows, drafty, etc. And is 76 degrees ridiculous and worth all of this?
I'm older (54), always respectful of others and their property, and would never impose. So part of me wants to reply and say everything that was wrong (small issues that would have bugged others but not me), and part of me wants to take the high road and just let it go. However, this review of me is permanent and so I might want to do airbnb again (although right now I'm asking myself why would I) and me explaining might alleviate fears of renting out their room to me, the guy that can't use a thermostat correctly. Another concern is that if I open up this can of worms he might do something like blame me for his broken shower (which he knew was broken), or something else. Everyone I've talked to says skewer him back. Not my style. And frankly I'm tired of worrying about it.
Next move? thanks all
It happened to me. I faced similar issues wrt to temperature, one day it was close to 80. I asked them to change it and next day it was turned off and I was freezing. But I decided not to write a review . I could have written a bad review - but I figured out they were either Pho or a Filipino immigrants, so their behavior wasn't surprising and my review wasn't going to change anything.

You cannot expect decency and class from everyone but that shouldn't stop us acting decently.

Old 01-28-2018, 05:49 PM

1,844 posts, read 1,943,630 times
Another take on this: the host was out of country. He had gone thinking that he had no guests, so he left the thermostat set on 50. All of a sudden he gets a guest. How was he supposed to turn the heat on before her arrival? He could have had a co-host to do that for him or the Nest or block the days he was gone from the calendar so no guests would come. But he was a med student, probably not rich and probably with not much experience as a host. Most likely his place was cheap.
They we're both at fault: he for not telling her the upper limit and her for taking advantage of it.

Old 01-28-2018, 06:06 PM

1,208 posts, read 1,584,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Then what's the other side of the story?

Sure, we only hear an OP's side of the story because that's all that is available to us in their post. But I don't think it's fair to imply they are leaving out pertinent facts, because they might not be. I personally can't stand it when I post something and someone accuses me of leaving out things and not telling the other side.

I think the OP just encountered a very rude person. Based on what he says, I don't want to rent an Air B&B myself. I'll stick with hotels.
Why is is not fair to imply there is more to the story than the OP stated, as the old saying states, there is two sides to every story, then there is the truth.
We don't know what the other side is, as a Host myself I would not even think about giving questionable review on a guest for the reason given but I have a few guests whine and complain about most everything, don't follow the House Rules, and leave a mess. Ask them and they think they were great guests.

Old 01-28-2018, 09:02 PM

689 posts, read 285,987 times
I would only respond w "It was zero degrees in the eve and the apartment was very drafty built in year ____- (look it up) and I used the heater. I had no idea I was not allowed to use the heater or put it on a temp that still barely got home warm." Short and simple.

Old 01-28-2018, 09:05 PM

2,549 posts, read 1,638,245 times
I felt compelled to look for this airbnb somehow...

Old 01-28-2018, 09:22 PM

8,220 posts, read 2,430,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
And is 76 degrees ridiculous and worth all of this?
Yes. 76 is crazy hot, and for 10 days in a place you were paying $27 per night for? When it's 10 degrees outside?

He is right, and you are wrong. It's not even a close call.

Last edited by hbdwihdh378y9; 01-28-2018 at 09:39 PM..

Old 01-28-2018, 09:32 PM

8,220 posts, read 2,430,621 times
Quote:
This is ridiculous. Part of the hospitality business is making sure your guests are comfortable while also making sure guests understand the terms and conditions for their stay. Im setting temps to where Im comfortable unless otherwise restricted. OP was not restricted. If 80 was necessary, I would have done it. Im paying for a comfortable stay and there were no restrictions on it. I wouldnt have even sent an email, like OP was so nice to do.
Sure, and if he didn't tell you to use the toilet, you'd p*** on the floor, because no rules and all that.

I can't believe what I'm reading in this thread. People really crank the heat up to 80 degrees? I've never heard of such a thing, and who would think they have to tell guests not to do such obviously inappropriate things?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel