U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 08:09 AM

3,422 posts, read 3,187,514 times

Advertisements

I would never use AirB&B to share living quarters. The house or apartment would have to be completely empty for me to consider it. That said, temperature is pretty important for comfort. If I'm paying money to stay somewhere, the inside temperature had better be between 68 and 74 degrees, depending on the season. And, if there is not sufficient hot water, I'm outta there. This guy (the host) sounds like he should not be in the business of renting to guests. Yes, 76 degrees is excessive, but not if the apartment is actually only in the 60s. Guess I will stick with hotels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2018, 08:14 AM

1,036 posts, read 521,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
76 in the Living room where the thermostat is, Might be 68 in the bedroom where she was sleeping.

The house I grew up on the whole house was on one zone hot water heat, by the time the heat got to the last bedroom in the loop the Hot water in the pipes had cooled down alot, Living room (2nd room in the pipe loop) where the thermostat (Set @ 72) was would be 72, Last Room (in the loop) would be 66.
Yeah, we are in a fairly new but cheap Ryan home for our rental - same region as the Airbnb in the OP. The thermostat could NOT keep up during the cold snap the week before last. It was set at 74 and pumping constantly, but temperatures around the home varied between 70 and 54 on the thermal gun. And we weren’t pointing it at Windows, either. The bedrooms, especially, were frigid. The interior bathrooms were hot. Even moving and closing vents to direct the flow the house is hard to heat when so much is being lost out cheap, leaky windows. We had to run the fireplace and a space heater along with the home’s gas furnace to keep the temperature around 65-70 throughout the house.

It’s not just a dumb southerner thing - I lived in ALASKA for the previous decade and a half and the house was never as drafty and cold and this cheap Midwest one. The temperatures ran far lower, but the home was much more comfortable because it was properly insulated and weather tight. So people acclimated to VERY scold weather may still be running a furnace hot if the weather is outstripping the ability of the home to be comfortable or safe. If we had kept the thermostat at 65 the house would have probably dropped to 40 in the bedrooms. Pipes were bursting in people’s occupied residences because of how cold it was. Stupid, poorly insulated homes are a scourge, but it’s inexpensive to build them that way

Old 01-29-2018, 08:31 AM

708 posts, read 778,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticking View Post
The landlord sounds like a tightwad that wants to control other people's comfort. Maybe 76 is slightly warm, but it isn't a big deal, and certainly not worth a bad review. This miserable nitpicker is going to find fault with practically anybody that costs him 5 cents extra, airbnb isn't going to be a great fit for him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodica View Post
I guess I see Airbnb as being like hotels. I'm a PAYING guest, so I should have the ability to make myself comfortable.
Hotels have written rules. If this host didn't want guests turning up the heat or taking long showers or whatever - it should have been written.
Exactly to these.

He needs to get out of Airbnb - at least for his own personal residence. Some people get into Airbnb thinking they are just providing a “couch to crash on”, meaning people are just happy to have place to sleep. That can be true for some, but others will see that place like a hotel and their expectations will be as such. This host couldn’t even provide a properly working shower. That’s right up there with warmth for me when it comes to being comfortable.

Old 01-29-2018, 09:52 AM

7,685 posts, read 16,115,889 times
My family has had a beach condo they've rented out for long before anyone came up with the term 'sharing economy'. Higher utility costs (and yes, they tell renters to not have the balcony door open when the AC is running full but it still happens) and breakage and petty theft from renters are going to happen in the short term rental process; no one cares as much about your own property as you do, and it's just how it rolls. And even the most considerate guests will occasionally drop some glassware or accidentally pack up one of your towels when they're trying to shove everything in their suitcase and get to the airport on time. Stuff happens, and you need to accept and plan for it.

IMO, Air BnB does a poor job of portraying the down sides of short term rentals because they just want their commission on as many transactions as possible.

Old 01-29-2018, 10:19 AM

3,182 posts, read 1,964,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
I am a heating guy. In those sub-zero temps that we had, the setting on the thermostat means very little. The entire walls and windows radiate cold - very cold
+1

Yes, most people don't understand this. There are three types of heat transfer: (1) convection, (2) conduction, and (3) radiation. The thermostat can be set to what would normally be a comfortable temperature, and the air temperature can match, but if the walls and windows are cold a person can feel cold because of #3.

Old 01-29-2018, 10:30 AM

11,383 posts, read 7,811,465 times
If this happened to me I would ask AIRBNB to let me change my review and post a somewhat more negative review of the place.

Old 01-29-2018, 10:46 AM

1,544 posts, read 1,343,542 times
OP here.
Here's what I posted in reply to his negative feedback. A cut-and-paste using what some suggested on this post, and some of my own words.

"There were no rules or instructions given regarding minimum/maximum thermostat settings. The thermostat was around 50, certainly not 68, when I arrived on a sub- freezing day, as was the case with outside temperatures the entire week. Unbelievably cold outside for 10 days and never above 20, and usually highs in low teens, with temperatures pushing zero at night, which certainly affected the indoor temperature. I am long used to Cleveland weather and even by Cleveland standards it was a rare week for its length of the cold spell. If there had been specific rules for the thermostat's temperature control, which I turned on per your directions in your absence, I would certainly have followed them. My recommendation is that the host include the parameters for thermostat settings in the list of house rules in the future."

Old 01-29-2018, 01:41 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,020,801 times
If you do write a review, try to use paragraphs. Thank you.

Old 01-29-2018, 02:08 PM

3,196 posts, read 1,817,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
I am a heating guy. In those sub-zero temps that we had, the setting on the thermostat means very little. The entire walls and windows radiate cold - very cold, yet the thermostat may be located in a less draft spot. Also, it is very possible that the heat load was so great that the 76 didn't bring it past 70 or 72.

To translate, it would not cost any more to set it at 72 than at 76.

Different story if we were talking 30 or 40 degree weather. But it sounds like the place is not properly insulated and weatherproofed.
As a heating guy, I'm sure you know that cold does NOT radiate, heat does. What you feel as radiating cold is the heat leaving the air and your body in a futile attempt to heat the walls and windows, which are actually radiating heat to the even more cold outdoor world.

Old 01-29-2018, 02:58 PM

3,182 posts, read 1,964,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
As a heating guy, I'm sure you know that cold does NOT radiate, heat does. What you feel as radiating cold is the heat leaving the air and your body in a futile attempt to heat the walls and windows
Sure. It's the net exchange that matters. Radiant energy emitted from the human body is absorbed by windows, walls, etc. The opposite is also true; radiant energy emitted from windows and walls is absorbed by the human body. There will be less radiant energy coming from a cold wall/window than a warmer one, and therefore more net energy lost by the human when the surrounding surfaces are cold.

My main point is that this effect doesn't show up in the air temperature. A room temperature of 76 degrees doesn't translate to the same comfort level in all dwellings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel