U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 01:27 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,682 posts, read 40,050,764 times

Advertisements

State a reply (tactfully as above recommendation)

Don't burn bridges, Air BnB hosts can be real flakey / possessive...

8 stays in Air B&B, 7 were terrible, ALL hosts instructed me to give them highest marks on review (which I did not)

Many hundreds of excellent stays in these accommodations during last 30 yrs (free to $20 / night WW) that DO NOT have a profit motive, but instead a Hospitality Objective, i.e. to make YOUR trip enjoyable, not to use you pay their mortgage... (I have never used couchsurfing)

https://wikitravel.org/en/Hospitality_exchange
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2018, 01:27 PM

21,212 posts, read 11,832,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Oh God, yes. Same here. I don't want to be judged and don't care for any "feedback" on me as a customer. Their opinion of me is irrelevant. If I've paid for the service, then we're done.
Except that's not how airbnb works. People are letting strangers into their home. In some cases, they are sharing the space - obviously not the bedroom itself, but the rest of the home.

The same way a potential customer wants feedback in terms of which listing to select, the people listing spaces appreciate feedback so they can make a more informed decision on which guests to allow into their home.

Old 01-24-2018, 01:29 PM

9,130 posts, read 17,171,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Oh God, yes. Same here. I don't want to be judged and don't care for any "feedback" on me as a customer. Their opinion of me is irrelevant. If I've paid for the service, then we're done.
The issue with Peer to Peer economy, When you go buy again from that site (Middleman) the other "Peer" will go look at the review/score. If you are to low, or look like a problem (renter/rider), they will reject your request.

Old 01-24-2018, 01:29 PM

6,079 posts, read 3,402,168 times
I mean I wouldn't want my thermostat raised to 76, that's too high (ours is set at 65-67 in winter) but 50 is way too cold, you had every reason to raise it. It's on him for not giving you a recommended setting. He sounds like someone who's passive aggressive. Won't tell you to your face if you did something that upset him but would then write a review to make you look bad after you're gone. Also doesn't sound like a good host if he let his house be so cold in frigid weather. One AirBnB I stayed at in Minneapolis, the housekeeper and her husband told me that the previous winter it was -30 windchills and the heater was blocked via snow and frost so the owner went out and bought extremely powerful space heaters for everyone's room. They worked so well people actually opened the windows to let their bedrooms cool down a bit. This host didn't have to do all that but I'm not sure how he can let his house be so cold. He should have had it set to 65-70 from the beginning.

Old 01-24-2018, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
I seriously don't understand why people choose air bnb over hotels unless you have a big group or want a place with a private pool.
I never even use uber, either. I use NYC cabs.
I don't want to be judged. I just want to pay and be done.
Hotels don't care about the temp you choose or how many hot showers you take.
Its called "we're-not-all-rich-business-men-who-can-always-afford-hotels-and-sometimes-we-travel-alone-so-all-expenses-are-on-us."

NYC cabs? I tried that when I lived in Denton, Texas. But they charge a really high fare because of the distance That's why I stuck with Uber and Lyft. 8 dollars to get to work or school? Sweet. I miss fares that low.

Old 01-24-2018, 01:40 PM

5,104 posts, read 5,410,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Thermostat temperature does not always equal room temperature. I had a job a while back where 'my' senior citizens were sharing space with other programs and had to win the thermostat war when my minion did a week of charting how when the thermostat was set to 72F, it was barely 65F in much of the space my frail old people had, and that was not good for their health.

And there are times when we set and forget our well insulated house to 76F. (It's Florida; when you acclimate to summer temperatures here, you often lose tolerance for the cold) Which puts it somewhere around 73F in the high ceiling living room. Since we're on a heat pump for heat, letting the temperature float much is at beast a wash and at worst is a huge energy increase if the floating of temperatures causes the emergency heating strips to kick in.
Exactly.

The digital thermostat in my home is inaccurate by 6 degrees. It might say 77 degrees on the thermostat, but in reality, it's 71 degrees.

OP said the apartment was drafty during extreme cold temperatures and people are comfortable at different temperatures.

Bottom Line: If a host wants their thermostat not be set above or below a certain temperature, they need to include that in the instructions.

Old 01-24-2018, 01:45 PM

21,212 posts, read 11,832,330 times
There's still no need to raise the thermostat to a high temperature and keep it up that high day in and day out, regardless of whether someone is there or not. People customarily lower the temperature at night and if they are leaving the house for the day. I think the airbnb host was perfectly reasonable to assume a guest would use common courtesy and follow that kind of practice.

Old 01-24-2018, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Hotel (Chains) do have Guest Reviews, They just are not public, Other Hotels under that Flag can see them, and do a after the fact cancellation of there reservation later that day, if other hotels in the chain have had issue with you.
Hmm I didn't know or think about that, but good point. I just figure its less of a big deal because hotels are less personal than someone's home and they get a much higher volume of guests. Regardless, hotels can have a myriad of problems that AirBnBs don't. Anything in life is technically a luck of the draw it just depends on what odds you prefer to go against. Look at the Hotel Cecil in LA. I certainly would not wanna stay there, and in reality there's nothing that says any other hotel in the country can't have a dead woman in their water tank. (And I personally can't think of many worse scenarios than that!)

Old 01-24-2018, 01:50 PM

39,850 posts, read 3,018,080 times
I am glad, Op, that you wrote a polite rebuttal. I have never stayed at an airbnb, & would only consider it if I had a group to host. For our own travel, (hunny & me) I like cheap hotels.

Old 01-24-2018, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
There's still no need to raise the thermostat to a high temperature and keep it up that high day in and day out, regardless of whether someone is there or not. People customarily lower the temperature at night and if they are leaving the house for the day. I think the airbnb host was perfectly reasonable to assume a guest would use common courtesy and follow that kind of practice.

I agree on that. Last AirBnB I used was the month before I moved to Minnesota, when I was visiting and meeting my current roommates for the first time. The host said that my room had an air conditioning unit in case I was hot. I used it as it was warm and humid when I got there, but whenever I left the room I shut it off. I only used it as needed. It would have been wasteful and uncool of me to let the window unit run all day meanwhile I'm out and about. While I do think the host should have specified about thermostat use and what temps were acceptable, OP should have used common courtesy regarding thermostat use.

I mean last Christmas I had friends staying over, and they're from Texas they had never experienced weather so cold, and one of my friends had without asking me or anyone who lives at my house, raised the thermostat from 67 to 73. I didn't notice until I was in my room and noticed how warm and stuffy it had felt. I lowered it to at least 70. When I found out it was her (she refused to admit she set it to 73, but she admitted to raising it) I called her out on it and she retorted with "But I was a guest! I had to be comfortable!" yea you have to be comfortable, but certain things its rude not to ask for. And if you don't wanna pay for the heating bill don't touch the thing. If I am cold or hot in someone's house I ask them I don't touch their AC or heat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel