U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 08:03 PM

17,682 posts, read 11,239,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
All other reviews about him were positive. Yes I can leave a reply. But again, I'm a bit apprehensive, and also not wanting to stoop to that level. It just irks me really.
That and this is kind of a lesson learned. That and 54 years old and with a good job is probably not the type of person who should be sleeping in stranger's guest rooms and nickel and dimeing it when there's perfectly good low-priced hotels all around. It's not like I'm 22 and crashing on my buddy's futon to save cash. It kind of felt that way.

Bingo ! When I was reading this story, I said to myself "Do people really share a place with strangers ?" I wouldn't even stay with family when we visit, I get a hotel.

Aside from the strangeness of living in another stranger's home, there is the danger aspect. This isn't 1950 Mayberry any more, and the world is full of kooks. Call me cautious and private, but I prefer a hotel room that is all mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2018, 08:11 PM

150 posts, read 71,568 times
Hubby and I greatly enjoy our Airbnb stays, some more than others of course, but there's no comparison to having an entire house or condo at your disposal as opposed to a small and often noisy hotel room. Also, I hate to point out the obvious, but when you stay in a hotel you're in a room where an endless line of "strangers" have been. And if you think there's a difference because there's a maid...it's quite likely not a positive difference.

Old 01-24-2018, 08:19 PM

8,080 posts, read 13,487,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
If there is a way to reply so that it shows on AirBnB, I would simply say:

"There were no rules or instructions given regarding minimum/maximum thermostat settings. If there had been, I would have followed them. My recommendation is that the host include the parameters for thermostat settings in the list of house rules."

You can defend yourself without "skewering" him as you don't want to negate your point or make yourself look bad by getting into a pissing contest. I'd also not bother with mentioning the other issues at this point because it would just come across as sour grapes.

FWIW, please give an honest review of places. If there are negatives, state what they are along with the positives. Many people, like myself, take those into account when choosing a place to stay.
Exactly what I was thinking. You were a good guest and that lets others know that you followed the rules.
A shame to have that as a first experience.. Would encourage you to keep trying airbnb. All my stays have been excellent and much more homey feeling than a motel.
Most of my airbnb's have had separate entrances and feel like my own little apartment.
To me its not about the money, I enjoy meeting the hosts and finding charming airbnb places.

Old 01-24-2018, 08:24 PM

3,196 posts, read 1,823,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
Well, it is not the guest's false that the host house is so poorly insulated and felt too cold. If I pay money, I don't want to be freezing.
First, he wasn't a 'guest', he was a temporary boarder.

Second, what do people in old drafty two story houses in Europe set their thermostats at? And do they take kindly to boarders who raise them to 76 degrees Fahrenheit? Somehow I doubt it.

Third, do you realize how little $27 per day is to have a safe temporary room including all utilities and taxes?

Last edited by rugrats2001; 01-24-2018 at 08:32 PM..

Old 01-24-2018, 08:30 PM

3,196 posts, read 1,823,016 times
Quote:
OP here. This is it in a nutshell. Old, drafty, etc. curtains were moving all night. Ancient windows etc.
Were there sheets and blankets provided? It's not like you don't know what it's like to be in Cleveland in the winter.

Im guessing the curtains were moving all night because the furnace was going all night. What would have caused that?

What exactly were you expecting for $27 a night?

Old 01-25-2018, 12:25 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,703 posts, read 40,093,605 times
Do realize the 'Boarder' was there for 10 days of a likely 30 day billing cycle of a likely HIGH energy consumption period of time.

IF the Air B&B host was really doing this as a 'Business'... they would have factored 'winter' into the equation of leasing in Cleveland INCLUDING utilities. (they are likely most certainly not doing a legal / registered / licensed business enterprise,,, so they don't have a clue (*WARNING SIGN*) (required zoning, depreciation, tenant / liability, business insurance...) and... if they choose to pressure this action.. they will be REQUIRED to have a daily utility metering service / record. (for each rented space) - It's only the 'price of admission' for being legit.

Old 01-25-2018, 12:42 AM

18,146 posts, read 23,084,529 times
I think I'd edit my review to say something like, "please see the review he left for me, to see if you want to deal with this guy."

I would see that, and then look at the review he left for you (if that's possible - I would never stay in some stranger's home, but that's me, so I don't know how it works). And then, I would assume that the guy was a jerk and I wouldn't want to do business with him.

Because the fact that he took the time to leave you a negative review for something petty like being comfortable, means he'll probably leave me a bad review for something stupid, too.

You'd be doing future potential guests a favor.

Old 01-25-2018, 01:25 AM

672 posts, read 647,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
All you people with bug eyes and complaining about 76, how about you tell us what a acceptable temp is for you?

I live in a area where air conditioning is never used and heat is only used maybe one or two weeks out of the year every few years. 76 sounds good to me. I live in a warm climate.

Old 01-25-2018, 03:47 AM

5,982 posts, read 5,332,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhult View Post
All you people with bug eyes and complaining about 76, how about you tell us what a acceptable temp is for you?

I live in a area where air conditioning is never used and heat is only used maybe one or two weeks out of the year every few years. 76 sounds good to me. I live in a warm climate.
68. Wear a sweater and socks.

I remember my Ohio heating bills. I bet the owner lost money on this deal.

Old 01-25-2018, 04:41 AM

16,023 posts, read 19,745,966 times
Quote:
Oh! He also said I "was never there" in his review, so why run the heat so "high." Due to his absence, he has no idea how often I was there, other than me saying I shouldn't be there too often, before I rented it. He took it upon himself to assume I was not there and stated as such in his review of me.
Forgot all about that!
I think that I would edit your OP, which was very easily understood re: his inadequacies as a host.
I would use that edited version and post it as a rebuttal to his negative comment. You explained things well, including that you gave a decent review and held back about some of the issues, incl. the shower.

Don't let this person ruin your experiences, which should happen regardless of your age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel