U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 05:41 AM

15,201 posts, read 8,509,345 times

Advertisements

76 is NOT high...especially given he's keeping/maintaining the temp low, likely to save money. Well, when you have a paying guest in the winter in Cleveland, heat WILL be necessary. I would offer a fairly neutral explanation so other hosts can perhaps get a better picture of what really happened. I don't think you should just let his review "stand" as is - but don't get nasty about it as that won't help you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2018, 05:51 AM

6,306 posts, read 5,046,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhult View Post
All you people with bug eyes and complaining about 76, how about you tell us what a acceptable temp is for you?

I live in a area where air conditioning is never used and heat is only used maybe one or two weeks out of the year every few years. 76 sounds good to me. I live in a warm climate.
I also live in a warm climate but right now it is 35 degrees outside and we have the heat set to 76. Don't want to be cold......

Old 01-25-2018, 06:56 AM

29,990 posts, read 16,586,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhult View Post
All you people with bug eyes and complaining about 76, how about you tell us what a acceptable temp is for you?

I live in a area where air conditioning is never used and heat is only used maybe one or two weeks out of the year every few years. 76 sounds good to me. I live in a warm climate.
76 would be extremely high for me. I keep my thermostat at 68 but I do try and keep in mind that everyone's thermostat is a bit different. Nor - have I ever turned my thermostat down to 50 - another extreme, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
If there is a way to reply so that it shows on AirBnB, I would simply say:

"There were no rules or instructions given regarding minimum/maximum thermostat settings. If there had been, I would have followed them. My recommendation is that the host include the parameters for thermostat settings in the list of house rules."
^^^ This is a professional response and gets the job done. I would use it.

I'm 56 and have wondered about Airbnb myself. My son lives in Chicago and parents of his friends often stay in a nearby brownstone (as opposed to a hotel) that they get through Airbnb. They definitely aren't poor and they seem to enjoy it.

Hmmm.

Old 01-25-2018, 07:07 AM

8,184 posts, read 11,902,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
Do you realize that Uber uses surge pricing, just like the airlines? So if there is a great demand, prices could skyrocket within a few minutes.
And do you realize that when you request an Uber ride, the approximate cost of your trip (including any surge pricing) is shown to you on the app before you agree to the trip? If you don't like the cost, you simply cancel your request. It's not as if you get in the car and then while on your way surge pricing goes into effect and you're surprised with a bigger charge than you expected. The only people surprised by a huge bill are the ones who don't bother to look at the expected trip cost before they get in the car.

Old 01-25-2018, 08:26 AM

21,158 posts, read 11,761,610 times
OP has still not directly answered the question of whether or not they left the heat at 76 degrees the entire time - including at night and including when they left the premises for extended periods of time, as most people do when they make the effort to travel out of town.

I don't think the host was annoyed at the idea that the thermostat had been intermittently set to 76 degrees when the OP was in the home and felt cold as much as what seems to be the fact that the heat was being used UNNECESSARILY when no one was even home.

Do the people saying 76 is perfectly fine also leave the heat in their own homes set at 76 all night long, and all day long when they are out of the house? No one has said the OP is supposed to put up with being cold, but it's also indisputably a waste of money and electricity or gas to heat an unoccupied house.

Old 01-25-2018, 09:18 AM

1,588 posts, read 815,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
I thought Airbnb owners had "house rules" sent to guests prior to their stay?

Basically, they outline what you should kindly consider doing/not doing while there. Was this discussed in the house rules for this unit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
oh yes. House rules were given...I broke none of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
If there is a way to reply so that it shows on AirBnB, I would simply say:

"There were no rules or instructions given regarding minimum/maximum thermostat settings. If there had been, I would have followed them. My recommendation is that the host include the parameters for thermostat settings in the list of house rules."

You can defend yourself without "skewering" him as you don't want to negate your point or make yourself look bad by getting into a pissing contest. I'd also not bother with mentioning the other issues at this point because it would just come across as sour grapes.

FWIW, please give an honest review of places. If there are negatives, state what they are along with the positives. Many people, like myself, take those into account when choosing a place to stay.
I think over 70 is a high temp - I never set my house heat that high. But ultimately, the REAL point is not what the temp was set at - it is the house rules. If the owner did not communicate adequately, it's on him. The response written by HokieFan is perfect - couldn't be better. It addresses the situation clearly and avoids sounding angry, which would not work - aka a pissing contest. If the owner DID communicate on this issue, and kpl1228 just missed it, then kpl should offer a simple mea culpa and apologize and be done with it.

Old 01-25-2018, 11:53 AM

7,678 posts, read 16,092,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post

Do the people saying 76 is perfectly fine also leave the heat in their own homes set at 76 all night long, and all day long when they are out of the house?
Yes. Heat pump system actually works best when you don't let the temperature vary too much.

Old 01-25-2018, 12:34 PM

18,379 posts, read 20,110,894 times
I would simply state on BNB what you said here in a smaller more compressed version.

Old 01-25-2018, 01:31 PM

1,587 posts, read 2,122,536 times
Post a counter review explaining the place was drafty so 76 was not a true 76, it was probably more like 70?
And state the problem with the shower and that you had been gracious not to mention it, but he should keep his place in working order if he is renting it out.

PS my concern about being a single woman using airbnb with male owners, is safety. So in that sense I think you are better off at a hotel. Or renting from a couple with lots of positive reviews.

Old 01-25-2018, 01:47 PM

4,125 posts, read 3,777,519 times
You can contact airbnb and explain the situation and get this review of you removed. And yes, I'd have been annoyed too if the thermostat had been set to 76. Drafty doesn't mean a thing - thermostat setting doesn't combat drafty. Setting the thermostat to 76 doesn't warm the place any faster.

We have our thermostat at 60 overnight, and 66 when we're home. We all wear sweaters or fleeces all winter in the house. I have tenants who keep it at 80 - but they're paying their own heating bills!

Of course, if the guy is away, and leaves no directions, you could say that there were no instructions. But I'd consider setting thermostat to 76 to be willful wastage of utilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel