Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2018, 08:31 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,719,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhult View Post
All you people with bug eyes and complaining about 76, how about you tell us what a acceptable temp is for you?

I live in a area where air conditioning is never used and heat is only used maybe one or two weeks out of the year every few years. 76 sounds good to me. I live in a warm climate.
I'm in Minnesota. In winter, my thermostat at home is set at 66 F when I'm awake, and it goes to 60 F at night when I sleep. I'm very comfortable at that temp. At work, I cannot control the temp, and it often is 74-75 in my office. I have to open the window daily in winter, because it is just too hot at 75 degrees. If they'd let me control my temp, I'd not have to open the window. But they don't, so the window is opened daily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2018, 09:18 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,898,346 times
76 in the Living room where the thermostat is, Might be 68 in the bedroom where she was sleeping.

The house I grew up on the whole house was on one zone hot water heat, by the time the heat got to the last bedroom in the loop the Hot water in the pipes had cooled down alot, Living room (2nd room in the pipe loop) where the thermostat (Set @ 72) was would be 72, Last Room (in the loop) would be 66.

Old 01-25-2018, 10:56 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,725,105 times
Aaaand, this is why I won't do AirBnb - or true B&Bs, for that matter. It's like staying at grandma's house, with the addition of grandma being allowed to trash you online!! No thanks. I prefer being anonymous at a cheap motel, where they don't care what you do (withing reasonable behavior) as long as you're paying.

I'm reminded of the scene from a movie called Flirting with Disaster - "You're not B&B people!!"

Old 01-25-2018, 10:59 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,725,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhult View Post
All you people with bug eyes and complaining about 76, how about you tell us what a acceptable temp is for you?
I live in a very mild climate (Bay Area), but even on our coldest nights, I rarely put mine above 70-72. Any more than that and I'm sweating! Just recently I've had to bump it up to 74-75 for my cat, since he's really old and had to be shaved - so he's been shivering, and I don't have a space heater to offer. I'm not only getting hot because of it, but afraid of what my bill will look like for this month. Gonna buy a space heater asap!

Old 01-26-2018, 03:27 AM

11,026 posts, read 7,750,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRiteMA98 View Post
I know I am off-topic and I apologize to the readers: I advise you, parentologist, to get a Nest thermostat. You can control both the heater and the AC unit with this. I got it after one guest from California left the house in December when outside it was way below freezing and they TURNED OFF the thermostat.

Luckily I got there in a few hours after they left and inside it was 50F. The water pipes were OK. I scolded him and he said he didn't know! They don't have this issue in California! Can you believe that?

I was tired of people leaving the lights on when they left and the incident that could have burst my pipes, so I bought the the "intelligent" thermostat and "intelligent" light bulbs that I can control with my phone. People complained here about bad Airbnb experience as guests. It goes both ways, you know? I bust my but to clean everything, scrub the bathroom and yet, once in a blue moon, I get a bad review from someone who complains about not being able to open the lock box (although they have the code!) or the mattress. Oh, don;t get me started on the mattresses! The Airbnb people should incorporate mattress preferences in their algorithm that pairs up host and guests!

Some people prefer soft, some not and I actually have to ask people which way they prefer so that I can put a soft mattress topper or not in order to avoid bad reviews after I've been burned a few times.

However, I prefer to stay in airbnbs. Cheap hotels are dirty, internet is flaky or non-existent, carpet is old and smelly... why would anyone want to stay in such a thing when for the same price or way less, you can stay in someone's home? Except for a few "incidents" I had only nice guests it was a pleasure to host. Some I even fed, that's how much we clicked, some brought small gifts.

It is all a matter of respect you know? I wouldn't change the thermostat not even in my parents home without asking. My guidelines before the incident were "be respectful of the house as if it was your parents'". Now, I added the thermostat rule. No matter what, some people feel entitled.
You really seem to be too intolerant of the habits of others to be in the hospitality business, if only infrequently. Your nest thermometer may have been reading 70 degrees but that doesn't mean every part of the house or apartment was at seventy. Some people just are accustomed to temperatures higher or lower than others; it's not a matter of a customer being rude or "entitled" and the temperature in your office setting is irrelevant.

If you intend to maintain an environment that you deem proper for everyone that should be clearly stated in the description they can see before booking the place as you apparently do now. Remember you are providing a place of lodging and except at the very lowest end of the lodging spectrum, the visitor has control over the temperature - that convention does not equal entitlement. You have created a false equivalence when you cite your acceptance of your parent's heating preferences to those of a paying customer. You will note that I have used the word "customer" as opposed to the artificial "guest" when describing your arrangement with your visitors - "hosts" do not charge "guests" and do not complain about having to scrub the bathtub when each contract includes a separate cleaning charge.

Last edited by kokonutty; 01-26-2018 at 03:41 AM..

Old 01-26-2018, 04:47 AM

5,290 posts, read 5,192,872 times
Re: setting the heat. The OP stated that it never got above 20 the entire time he was there. Thats pretty cold, especially if the place is drafty to start with. Setting the thermostat at 76 likely didnt get the apartment to 76, with it being so cold outside. Ive heard of water pipes in the walls freezing when its that cold out, and the thermostat being set as low as 50, so its possible the OP save the home owner from coming home to frozen pipes.

Old 01-26-2018, 05:02 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,483,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
You have created a false equivalence when you cite your acceptance of your parent's heating preferences to those of a paying customer.
Yep, it's amazing people use anecdotes of their own or coworkers preferences to assume they know the temperature everyone else is comfortable in, then declare it disrespectful when a paying customer tries to adjust the environment to their own personal preference. You don't rent out your place then start turning the heat down remotely over the internet after the customer has turned it higher than 70, that's absurd.

Old 01-26-2018, 07:40 AM

29,756 posts, read 11,363,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
All other reviews about him were positive. Yes I can leave a reply. But again, I'm a bit apprehensive, and also not wanting to stoop to that level. It just irks me really.
That and this is kind of a lesson learned. That and 54 years old and with a good job is probably not the type of person who should be sleeping in stranger's guest rooms and nickel and dimeing it when there's perfectly good low-priced hotels all around. It's not like I'm 22 and crashing on my buddy's futon to save cash. It kind of felt that way.
I have uses Airbnb once as a guest. It went well and we both gave positive reviews. Only issue the host had was the cost per night was very low and he was not aware of this until I mentioned what a great deal I got. Apparently if a listing goes unrented for a while the daily price drops automatically. In my case I got a 2 night stay for about $30 for both nights including all fees. He did not blame me for that but it is one of the possible quirks of being an airbnb host. Perhaps something like this with the thermostat issue set him off.

I am the sort of person who would speak up if the host had some obvious issue with me that he would not bring up. Perhaps that might have helped in this situation.

In any case I think you should reply and defend yourself. Do it in a positive and professional way. If you don't then you are essentially condoning the review. And many hosts have it set to approve guests before they make a reservation so it might limit your options if you plan to try this in the future.

On a side note I can't imagine being an airbnb host and being out of the country when a stranger is staying in my personal residence. Especially renting to someone using airbnb for the first time. A lot could go wrong much worse than paying few extra bucks for my heating bill.

Old 01-26-2018, 08:37 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,859,651 times
One other thing to consider, we are only hearing ONE side of the story!

Old 01-26-2018, 08:46 AM

15,240 posts, read 12,804,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I've saved a lot of money on AirBnB myself. I stayed at a beautiful even if slightly creepy Victorian house for 25 dollars a night once. Definitely a unique experience that some generic hotel/motel would not offer.
I don't understand where people are getting these great Airbnb deals. Every time I look for a property to stay in instead of a hotel, it's always much more expensive than a standard business hotel like Hampton Inn. I get that people like to bring their whole family to an Airbnb property because it's cheaper than a hotel with multiple rooms but for a single traveler like me, it's simply out of reason.

Maybe I'm visiting the wrong cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel