U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 09:01 AM
Status: "Disagreeing is not the same thing as trolling." (set 17 days ago)

9,660 posts, read 3,687,967 times

Advertisements

I'd like to visit one of these cities but would like some advice as I would just be choosing one to travel to. I also don't know much about Canada as I've only been to Vancouver for one day.

Here are the cities I'm thinking about: Quebec City, Montreal, Charlottetown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2018, 01:32 PM

220 posts, read 111,474 times
How long are you planning on staying in Canada? I only ask because if its a week or more, you could swing both Quebec City and Montreal, they're only about a 3 hr. drive away from each other.

If I had to choose only one of the 3 you mentioned, I'd choose Quebec City. Its smaller than Montreal and very walkable, especially old Quebec City. I'd also recommend staying at the Chateau Frontenac in Quebec - if you search around, you can find deals on a room and its very historic and beautiful. Montreal is a much larger city and has more to see, more spread out and so would require a longer stay to cover major attractions.

I've never been to Charlottetown, so can't give you any advice on it.

Old 01-28-2018, 01:35 PM

1,189 posts, read 481,632 times
How long will your vacation be? Have been to Montreal and Quebec City, and about a week is good for the former and a little less than that for the latter, depending on your interests. Both are musts, and you can easily hook these two cities together if you wish.

Never been to PEI, though it is a popular summer vacation destination. My guess is 3-4 days would be about right there.

Old 01-28-2018, 02:08 PM

2,919 posts, read 1,594,641 times
I have enjoyed Quebec City & Halifax. I too stayed at Chateau Frontenac & enjoyed it.

Old 01-28-2018, 02:10 PM

17,936 posts, read 8,932,033 times
Vancouver.

Old 01-28-2018, 03:59 PM

1,325 posts, read 1,185,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Vancouver.
Ditto! Cool city with a nice vibe and great restaurants. The fresh seafood is outstanding. When I was there I went zip lining and whale watching. The whale watching ended up with us being in the center of a pod of orka's. It was amazing!

Old 01-28-2018, 04:53 PM

1,189 posts, read 481,632 times
Hasn’t been mentioned yet, but Toronto is a fine Canadian City to consider. Loads of attractions (including one of that country’s best art museums), attractive parks and architecture, and excellent and highly varied food options.

And if headed to Vancouver, including a couple days in Victoria makes for a good coupling.

Old 01-28-2018, 05:33 PM

2,601 posts, read 5,303,505 times
Never heard of Charlottetown. Montreal is very enjoyable although outside of the center city it reads more like a midwest US city. I expect Quebec City is very nice but I have never been there. I did like Ottawa.

I would not go to any of these in the winter. During the winter go to Vancouver.

Old 01-28-2018, 06:14 PM

4,455 posts, read 1,693,092 times
St. John's Newfoundland is the only one that is truly different from all the rest, although you could argue the same for Quebec City. St. john's is just outrageously and smotheringly hospitable and welcoming, and every body will sit and talk to you all day, if you let them. But the language barrier in Quebec City will significantly erode the chances of having any real conversations with people who just want to tell you stories.

Old 01-28-2018, 06:24 PM

2,871 posts, read 1,266,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
St. John's Newfoundland is the only one that is truly different from all the rest, although you could argue the same for Quebec City. St. john's is just outrageously and smotheringly hospitable and welcoming, and every body will sit and talk to you all day, if you let them. But the language barrier in Quebec City will significantly erode the chances of having any real conversations with people who just want to tell you stories.
I am very interested in going to visit St. John's so am glad to hear that it is pleasant

I visited Windsor Ontario often when I lived in the Detroit area and have also been to Toronto.

Quebec also was enjoyable but wow, I learned just how bad my French really is
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or