U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2018, 03:43 PM

155 posts, read 133,007 times

Advertisements

I am currently working in Durham and my family is in Dallas. We need to have this arrangement for sometime until either myself or my spouse manages to move their job. I can work remote on and off, and nobody is particular about me coming to office to work, but the only thing is some in person meetings get scheduled with short notice.

For some reason, the flights from Raleigh to Dallas seem to be too expensive if booked with short notice. I tried to fly today/tomorrow, (and return back on Sunday) after some meetings got cancelled just to know that I need to spend $780 for the trip.

Do I have any other options to make this economical? The costs are not exorbitant for trips booked well in advance, but I am trying to see if I could work out short trips in situations like that happened today.

Tickets from Washington seem to be quite cheap, but I hate to drive for 5 hours. I am okay to travel by buses, but there is not a single direct bus that I can take. Most of them have 8-9 hour journey time with a connecting bus.

Any other suggestions to work out adhoc trips in an economical way? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2018, 04:03 PM

15,068 posts, read 19,002,971 times
No. RDU is not a particularly economic airport to fly into our out of. Just not a boat load of traffic and no airline has a hub here.

You might want to check Charlotte. But my best advice, sadly, is book far far far in advance.

Old 01-29-2018, 08:06 PM

7,680 posts, read 16,098,271 times
One way of getting some of the trips to be more affordable is to play arbitrage with airline frequent flyer programs. I just did a test search of United's web site and found Depart:Friday February 2 and Return: Monday February 5 for 25K miles and $86.20 in taxes and close in booking fees. Hunt around the intrawebs for which United credit card has the best sign up bonus right now, and bite on that one. 'Churn' through a few other credit card offers from other airlines (do consider Alaska because you can use their miles on American Airlines award flights, but skip Southwest because they're dollar-based redemptions and are typically pretty horrible in terms of pricing once their 'Wanna Get Away' fare buckets sell out)

'Cheap' frequent flyer ticket availability can be hit or miss, especially during summer or holiday times, but I think you'll have enough times it works to play the credit card and general points and miles games. Also sign up for the 'last minute' or weekend deal e-mail newsletters some airlines offer because you may sometimes get lucky with that.

The problem with Charlotte is that it's an American Airlines fortress hub, and the lack of competition can impede the ability to get a decent price out of there.

Old 01-30-2018, 06:49 AM

2,658 posts, read 1,548,773 times
Set a fare alert in advance. I used to do the rdu-Dallas route a lot for work and never paid more than $500. And doing it personally I would take Friday and Monday off and fly Thursday evening and come back Tuesday morning for best price.

Old 01-30-2018, 10:56 AM

155 posts, read 133,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
Set a fare alert in advance. I used to do the rdu-Dallas route a lot for work and never paid more than $500. And doing it personally I would take Friday and Monday off and fly Thursday evening and come back Tuesday morning for best price.
Thanks. Is there a specific site that you used or recommend for fare alerts? Or is it more of setting the alert directly in airline website?

Old 01-30-2018, 11:49 AM

3,664 posts, read 6,484,389 times
Google Flights is good for this^^^

Old 01-30-2018, 05:04 PM

15,068 posts, read 19,002,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curidpostn View Post
Thanks. Is there a specific site that you used or recommend for fare alerts? Or is it more of setting the alert directly in airline website?
Google flights is good, but I prefer Airfarewatchdog.com Why? Because they are the only one that includes alerts for Southwest because they employ a few humans to do the scraping of SW since SW does not participate in the online searches.

Be prepared to jump on the flight quickly when you get that alert.

Old 01-30-2018, 05:14 PM

9,126 posts, read 17,133,831 times
Southwest runs NonStop from RDU to Dallas/Love for about $125/OW (booked few weeks in advance) next week is around 250/ow

Southwest does not show up on the search Sites, they sell only thru there website.

On SW there tickets funds are credited for future flights, or refund for "cash" in some fare classes. As long as you cancel your ticket at least 30? minutes before the flight.

Old 01-30-2018, 06:46 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,095,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curidpostn View Post
I am currently working in Durham and my family is in Dallas. We need to have this arrangement for sometime until either myself or my spouse manages to move their job. I can work remote on and off, and nobody is particular about me coming to office to work, but the only thing is some in person meetings get scheduled with short notice.

For some reason, the flights from Raleigh to Dallas seem to be too expensive if booked with short notice. I tried to fly today/tomorrow, (and return back on Sunday) after some meetings got cancelled just to know that I need to spend $780 for the trip.

Do I have any other options to make this economical? The costs are not exorbitant for trips booked well in advance, but I am trying to see if I could work out short trips in situations like that happened today.

Tickets from Washington seem to be quite cheap, but I hate to drive for 5 hours. I am okay to travel by buses, but there is not a single direct bus that I can take. Most of them have 8-9 hour journey time with a connecting bus.

Any other suggestions to work out adhoc trips in an economical way? Thanks in advance!
I would see if you can get your job to agree that any in person meetings are restricted to two or three consecutive days a week, lets say Tuesday to Thursday, and if possible have a go no go decision for a need for a meeting that week my COB Monday. If that could be arranged then I would suggest that you purchase two or 3 weeks of flights on Southwest and then just reschedule the flight for that week for the next free week if a meeting is not scheduled or cancelled.

If that can't work for you then, you will just need to purchase an anytime fare and hope that when you actually need to use the ticket you can book it for a cheaper fare and get a credit for the difference.

Old 01-30-2018, 08:58 PM

34,371 posts, read 41,455,107 times
Hitchhike = https://www.google.ca/search?source=...15.mibgGP98CpY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or