U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 07:05 PM

714 posts, read 780,609 times

Advertisements

I’m not paranoid over health, but I definitely want to avoid getting sick while traveling. Here’s what I do.

- Take some sort of immune booster/probiotics for about 2 weeks before a trip out of the US.
- Bring my daily vitamins to take just as if I was at home.
- If bottled water won’t be easily accessible, then I will buy large bottles at the airport to bring with or pack a couple in my luggage. I’ve only had to do that once, however.
- I usually will avoid the local water unless I know it’s filtered.

I pack: Clorox wipes, hand sanitizer, toilet paper (small packable rolls) and seat covers, Mosquito repellent wipes/lotion (when necessary), band-aids, tums tablets, pain relief tablets, and sinus medicine.

It’s really not much extra to bring since it’s packed with my regular toiletries. My friends used to laugh at me bringing TP - until we kept going places that didn’t have any, wanted you to pay for it, or just ran out. I can’t hold my bladder all day, so I stay prepared now.

I don’t normally wipe don’t plane seats, but if I notice things looking sketchy, I will do a wipe down. I check beds for bedbugs, but have been fortunate not to experience them. I’m allergic to mold, so if the bathroom looks like it has it, I’ll request another room, again, that only happened once.

So far, I’ve enjoyed trips and come home in good health.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2018, 07:43 PM

7,752 posts, read 9,062,151 times
I don't do anything different than I do at home.

Old 01-30-2018, 07:59 PM

6,862 posts, read 3,889,822 times
I try to eat my normal diet as much as possible. I even go to grocery stores sometimes instead of always eating at restaurants.

Old 01-30-2018, 08:40 PM

4,483 posts, read 1,706,078 times
I drink tap water all the time, at home and abroad. It keeps my immune system exercised.

I carry Benadryl. I'm not subject to very many allergies, but one can run across pollens, etc. that you've never met before. Also good for bee or wasp stings.

Avoid night life. Go to bed early and get plenty of sleep.

Eat lots of fresh fruits.

Avoid sunstroke. Buy a cheap sun hat locally if you don't want to carry one.

If you get sick, go to a local doctor. They know all the local bugs, and in the third world, are very cheap.

Old 01-31-2018, 03:49 AM

5,991 posts, read 2,914,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
I drink tap water all the time, at home and abroad
This is silly, if most locals don't drink the tap water then you shouldn't drink the tap water. Drinking contaminated or chemically polluted tap water doesn't make you a tough guy or someone who's getting a more authentic local experience, and you cannot count on developing immunity to pathogens like some people have who spent an entire childhood battling diarrhea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
I try to eat my normal diet as much as possible. I even go to grocery stores sometimes instead of always eating at restaurants.
But miss out on good local food?

Old 01-31-2018, 05:38 AM

1,191 posts, read 482,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
I must confess this was an unexpected answer. You must stay within a pretty tight radius of your hotel.
Nope, I just go out of my way to take care of business before leaving the hotel and try to hold off until I'm back for the day. It usually works, especially if I don't overload on liquids. In fact, I often don't leave myself much time for lunch, preferring to just keep going on my itinerary, so I don't usually have the urge to go from what I've consumed midday.

Of course you still need to stay hydrated, especially in arid country. It can be a tricky balance in such spots.

Old 01-31-2018, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I never thought about it. Traveling should not have such drastic restrictions.
Actually, JKgourmet had a good point: it's pretty much what I do at home anyway. For me, it's a way of life and I don't find what I do restrictive. But then again, I'm used to it. YMMV.

Old 01-31-2018, 05:48 AM

7,983 posts, read 11,681,171 times
Im flying out tomorrow and wondering about masks and wipes.

Can you take wiples with you through TSA security? Its sort of liqued and all that.

I think I would feel stupid with a mask and yet, I got sick when I travelled in Nov and I hadn't been sick in forever. Flu is really kicking *** here and yes I got the worthless flu shot for all the good it will do me. So contemplating the mask

Old 01-31-2018, 05:54 AM

Quote:
This is silly, if most locals don't drink the tap water then you shouldn't drink the tap water. Drinking contaminated or chemically polluted tap water doesn't make you a tough guy or someone who's getting a more authentic local experience, and you cannot count on developing immunity to pathogens like some people have who spent an entire childhood battling diarrhea.
Cebuan may have just been lucky, or may live somewhere with dicey water and can handle foreign tap water you or I can't. Hard to say.

Though there are some places where the water has sufficiently unpleasant pathogens one shouldn't ingest. Reportedly one such spot is St. Petersburg, Russia, where the water is contaminated with giardia.

Quote:
But miss out on good local food?
It wouldn't be my first choice either, as experiencing local cuisine is an important part of my travel enjoyment. However, you can save money on food getting stuff at the grocery instead of eating out, which can be a godsend in expensive places like Switzerland or Scandinavia.

Old 01-31-2018, 06:52 AM

11,043 posts, read 4,011,569 times
My husband travel a lot for work. He makes sure to never touch his face, washes hands frequently and takes daily vitamins. Never touch anything on the plane like that’s provided such as magazines or blankets. If someone sits next to him on a plane who is coughing it obviously sick he asks to switch seats and they usually let him. Ad others have said, drink only bottled water if traveling to foreign countries and make sure the food is throughly cooked!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or