U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 07:47 PM

5,969 posts, read 2,903,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Not true. There are two reasons the locals do not drink tapwater. One, because a generation or two ago, the tapwater was not safe to drink, and people grew up avoiding it. But nowadays, virtually every public water supply in the world is treated for pathogens.
It goes a lot farther than water being treated, it also falls on the integrity of the distribution system. 3rd world cities often have old/poor pipe infrastructure where fractures in pipes can allow contamination from untreated sources. Then you've got the local system how good are the pipes that pump water to the roof and the storage tanks up top? There is a reason so many hotels and guest houses in 3rd world countries have signs saying not to drink the tap water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Two, the reason they do not drink tapwater has nothing to do with pathogens. Is is usually treated only for pathogens, and often contains heavy metals and/or other components that make the water taste unpleasant. The heavy metals are harmless to a traveler drinking the water for a week or two, but can be tragic over a lifetime of exposure. There is also a third reason -- the heavy advertising campaign by the bottle water marketers.
Well no, not in my experience. When I ask if it's okay to drink the tap water I'm told it will make you sick, nothing about taste of heavy metals. That would have something to do with pathogens. Here is a survey from India: https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/21926619.cms

"Due to increasing levels of water contamination, five out of every 10 respondents surveyed had someone in their family and friends falling sick in the last one year. Water-borne diseases, a critical cause of concern across cities, have accounted for nearly 83% of all diseases severely affecting people's health," said the survey."

Does that jibe with your claim that they ware worried about the taste instead of it being sick? Nope. It is foolish for a traveler to risk their limited vacation time by assuming the water in whatever 3rd world country, no matter how small a beach town, is safe. Same with your hotel or guest house.

Again from India: https://www.hindustantimes.com/mumba...kfWPWbU5K.html

"Even as the word celebrated the 18th World Water Day (WWD) on Monday with this year’s theme being clean water for a healthy world, BMC is grappling with contamination issues in the city’s supply. At present, average contamination levels across all wards are between 8.25 per cent and 25.5 per cent. According to the data available with the civic body, 2,143 water samples have been collected from the city in January this year, of which 10 samples showed the presence of E. coli bacteria. The BMC repeated the exercise again in February and collected 1,987 water samples, of which 36 samples had presence of the same bacteria. Presence of E. coli bacteria in the water leads to intestinal infections and diarrhea. According to the civic officials, increase in the contamination levels is due to illegal connections and frequent pipeline bursts."

How about Cairo? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_..._water_quality

"It is estimated that each year about 17,000 children die from diarrhea.[3] One reason is that drinking water quality is often below standards.[3] Some water treatment plants are not maintained properly and are thus inefficient in removing parasites, viruses and other parasitic microorganisms.[12] In 2009, a study by the Ministry of Health showed that drinking water for half a million people in Asiut was unfit for human consumption."

Last edited by lieqiang; 01-31-2018 at 07:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2018, 12:11 AM

6,840 posts, read 3,880,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
This is silly, if most locals don't drink the tap water then you shouldn't drink the tap water. Drinking contaminated or chemically polluted tap water doesn't make you a tough guy or someone who's getting a more authentic local experience, and you cannot count on developing immunity to pathogens like some people have who spent an entire childhood battling diarrhea.

But miss out on good local food?

I eat local food. But I don't overeat by going to restaurants 3 x day.

Old 02-01-2018, 06:26 AM

9,829 posts, read 5,033,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
Nope, I just go out of my way to take care of business before leaving the hotel and try to hold off until I'm back for the day. It usually works, especially if I don't overload on liquids. In fact, I often don't leave myself much time for lunch, preferring to just keep going on my itinerary, so I don't usually have the urge to go from what I've consumed midday.

Of course you still need to stay hydrated, especially in arid country. It can be a tricky balance in such spots.
Out of curiosity, how old are you?

Old 02-01-2018, 09:57 AM

3,463 posts, read 1,543,057 times
Well, one thing we're doing is getting travelers' medical insurance. Hadn't really thought about this before, but doing it this time. It's about $50 each for our 2 weeks in the U.S., then another $130 for a month in Italy. We opted for the coverage offered by the cruise line too.

We already pack around TP and wipes here; never drink the tap water. But we haven't been drinking tap water in the U.S. for decades anyway. Marginal wells in CA and UT, then "boil restrictions" on the Gulf Coast.

Neither of us wears jewelry, and we stuff our cash and ID into zippered front cargo pants pockets. Leaving "some" in the wallet or purse (shoulder-strap only) as a sacrifice if stolen. We carry copies of our passports and leave the originals in hotel safes.

Staying in "nice" hotels near the major sites, no marginal hostels at this point in life. Don't go out after dark much these days....no walking around like a zombie, eyes glued to the cell phone. That stays zippered up too!

Old 02-02-2018, 06:44 AM

1,184 posts, read 481,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Out of curiosity, how old are you?
Heh. Select your favorite reply from the following:

"That information's classified."
"Age only matters if you're cheese or wine."
"As old as my tongue, but older than my teeth."
"Somewhere between 1 and 100."
"A day older than I was yesterday."
"127. Looking pretty good for my age, aren't I?"
"Old enough to know better than to answer that question."

Old 02-02-2018, 06:55 AM

9,829 posts, read 5,033,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
Heh. Select your favorite reply from the following:

"That information's classified."
"Age only matters if you're cheese or wine."
"As old as my tongue, but older than my teeth."
"Somewhere between 1 and 100."
"A day older than I was yesterday."
"127. Looking pretty good for my age, aren't I?"
"Old enough to know better than to answer that question."

So I'm guessing that means you're young enough to still enjoy a strong bladder.

[CENTER]Save[/CENTER]

Old 02-18-2018, 12:19 AM

121 posts, read 63,872 times
Keep couple of empty water bottles. Can fill these up out of water fountain once through airport security.

Vitamins...

Keep RX in bottles so you can replace it if needed. Use national pharmacy for best coverage of theft.

Use hotels with gym. Pack sneakers and 2-3 workout outfits for 1 week stay away.

Eat healthy basics and cut lunches in half. Can eat rest later...

I have very bad sensitivity to anti-bacterial anything and cheap hotel soap brand Lux. I travel with bar of Dove soap in my purse.

Old 02-18-2018, 04:23 AM

5,969 posts, read 2,903,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misnomed View Post
Use hotels with gym. Pack sneakers and 2-3 workout outfits for 1 week stay away
Since you're traveling why not just take a nice brisk morning walk every morning? Then you get to see more of where your location as well, maybe pass by some off-the-beaten path cafe to stop at for a coffee.

Old 02-18-2018, 05:34 AM

13,966 posts, read 7,434,967 times
It’s pretty unusual for me to travel somewhere the tap water isn’t potable. My business travel pattern is high tech locations in the first world and occasional Asia trips. I tend to drink bottled water in Asia.

It’s been covered. Wash your hands. Drink 2+ quarts of water per day. Get enough sleep.

Old 02-18-2018, 06:45 AM

1,184 posts, read 481,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Since you're traveling why not just take a nice brisk morning walk every morning? Then you get to see more of where your location as well, maybe pass by some off-the-beaten path cafe to stop at for a coffee.
When I travel, Iím usually walking and standing a lot as well as climbing/descending stairs a fair bit. I walk between attractions if not taking public transport, and sightseeing itineraries normally include museums, historic houses, parks, scenic strolls, and similar stuff. For me, exercise just comes as part of the deal.

Might not be true for everyone, of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or