U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 07:35 AM

4,420 posts, read 1,676,659 times

Advertisements

Basically, I maintain my health on the road the same as I do at home, or at least try to within the constraints. I try to keep a wholesome varied diet, avoiding obvious junk and prepackaged foods, but try everything local. I don't make excessive demands on my body or my spirit, but try to get moderate exercise of both. Walk a lot, and use the stairs. Avoid AC, sleep in fresh air. Go to bed and get up early. I try to schedule myself leisurely, so I can be patient and avoid accidents or misadventures. I concentrate on anger control, when faced with frequent frustrations, and associate as much as possible with non-aggressive people, as mental health can be as precarious as physical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2018, 11:21 PM

1,806 posts, read 808,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Basically, I maintain my health on the road the same as I do at home, or at least try to within the constraints. I try to keep a wholesome varied diet, avoiding obvious junk and prepackaged foods, but try everything local. I don't make excessive demands on my body or my spirit, but try to get moderate exercise of both. Walk a lot, and use the stairs. Avoid AC, sleep in fresh air. Go to bed and get up early. I try to schedule myself leisurely, so I can be patient and avoid accidents or misadventures. I concentrate on anger control, when faced with frequent frustrations, and associate as much as possible with non-aggressive people, as mental health can be as precarious as physical.
I had my first major anxiety during a solo trip and the nightmare began...it took me a year to recover.

Seriously, missing one week's workout isn't a big deal.

Old 02-18-2018, 11:30 PM

4,417 posts, read 1,646,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
Iíve heard several different approaches and am curious what others do. I clean the airplane or train seats with Clorox wipes and take emergen-c immune plus. And try to drink lots of water. What do you do?
I don't think there is much of a prob in airplane seats unless perhaps someone has peed in their pants in your seat in the previous flight.

Depending on the destination - specially like India in South Asia, it's the native bacteria in the food that makes you ill. Locals are mostly immune to it but visitors get a pretty nasty hit most of the times.

Old 02-19-2018, 09:34 PM

4,420 posts, read 1,676,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Depending on the destination - specially like India in South Asia, it's the native bacteria in the food that makes you ill. Locals are mostly immune to it but visitors get a pretty nasty hit most of the times.
Thew good news is, doctors there recognize the local bugs immediately, and will prescribe something that will knock it out quickly. I had amoebic dysentery in Bangladesh, the doc handed me an Rx and I was fine in a day or two. Don't hesitate to pop into a clinic, if you have something that lasts over 24 hours.

If you belch gas that smells like rotten eggs (hydrogen sulfide), a pharmacist will give you something over the counter for giardia, which is pretty common.

A very common disease you are likely to be exposed to is Hepatitis A, which is a mild childhood diseases in the third world, that renders lifetime immunity, so the only adults who ever get it there are rich world travelers. No prevention, treatment or cure, but it resolves spontaneously. Bed rest (a few weeks) and dietary restrictions, to prevent further liver damage.

Old 02-19-2018, 09:56 PM

3,187 posts, read 1,444,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
I’ve heard several different approaches and am curious what others do. I clean the airplane or train seats with Clorox wipes and take emergen-c immune plus. And try to drink lots of water. What do you do?
Good one, I also take emergen-c when I travel. Otherwise, I try to drink as much wine as possible in the hopes that will pickle me from germs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or